Geekdom says remasters coming

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Badmanvegeta1991

Geekdom says remasters coming

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:08 pm

Geekdom states on a recent video that the movies are being remastered as well as DBZ series as a 30 year anniversary special on the original footage so with that being said it would be significantly better than the blu rays we have currently. Anyone else heard of this news? The only thing I can find is news about the movies being remastered not the DBZ series.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Geekdom says remasters coming

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:18 pm

Can’t wait to see or hear how Funimation fucks this up

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:43 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:Can’t wait to see or hear how Funimation fucks this up
It'll be Toei.

Only thing Funi could screw up would be the encoding. And... Well, okay, they'll probably do that. Though they'll probably be improving the dub mixes of the shows, and potentially including broadcast audio, so that'd be a plus.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:45 pm

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Geekdom states on a recent video that the movies are being remastered as well as DBZ series as a 30 year anniversary special on the original footage so with that being said it would be significantly better than the blu rays we have currently. Anyone else heard of this news? The only thing I can find is news about the movies being remastered not the DBZ series.
He was speculating based on the same information we had.

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Feb 24, 2019 7:55 pm

Just hoping Toei doesn’t make edits like they did with the movies.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:00 pm

Just because some Dragon Ball YouTuber says so, doesn't mean it's actually happening. Wait and see.

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:45 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:Just because some Dragon Ball YouTuber says so, doesn't mean it's actually happening. Wait and see.
Geekdom is typically right on this stuff, but I’m not taking his word as a confirmed announcement at this point. That’s why I was asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this happening. Obviously I’m in wait and see mode right now. Bring info or don’t comment.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:49 pm

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Bring info or don’t comment.
Do you hold that same outlook on Robo and Masenko atm?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Feb 24, 2019 8:55 pm

Robo4900 wrote:, and potentially including broadcast audio, so that'd be a plus.
Japanese Broadcast audio or English?

I don’t think they’ll ever make their “No seriously these are the same voices you heard from 1996-1998 honest” dub commercially available again.

Though I would buy it in a heartbeat for the lols

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:00 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Bring info or don’t comment.
Do you hold that same outlook on Robo and Masenko atm?
Must I comment on every reply? Addressing one should be enough. At least the others brought comic relief/ info about Toei. Kami seems to be speaking down to my topic like I’m taking a YouTubers word as official news when I never stated that.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:23 pm

Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Geekdom is typically right on this stuff, but I’m not taking his word as a confirmed announcement at this point. That’s why I was asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this happening. Obviously I’m in wait and see mode right now. Bring info or don’t comment.
Geekdom101 is a sketchy dude so I don't rely on his "inside" information. Rather, what's out there and announced by the companies themselves.

TOEI has remastered the Dragon Ball Movies 1-4, Dragon Ball Z Movies 1-13 as well as Dragon Ball Z's TV-Special 1 (Bardock: The Father of Goku) so we can make a guess that they're possibly remastering the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and/or Dragon Ball GT series for a Blu-ray release (and it'd too be on Amazon Prime Japan / Netflix Japan).

That said, don't forget SV is remastering Dragon Ball, too.

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Sun Feb 24, 2019 9:31 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Badmanvegeta1991 wrote:Geekdom is typically right on this stuff, but I’m not taking his word as a confirmed announcement at this point. That’s why I was asking if anyone else had any knowledge of this happening. Obviously I’m in wait and see mode right now. Bring info or don’t comment.
Geekdom101 is a sketchy dude so I don't rely on his "inside" information. Rather, what's out there and announced by the companies themselves.

TOEI has remastered the Dragon Ball Movies 1-4, Dragon Ball Z Movies 1-13 as well as Dragon Ball Z's TV-Special 1 (Bardock: The Father of Goku) so we can make a guess that they're possibly remastering the Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z and/or Dragon Ball GT series for a Blu-ray release (and it'd too be on Amazon Prime Japan / Netflix Japan).

See, now you are providing knowledgeable theories based off experience as a fan. Much better Kami, I’ll take that Lol

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Mon Feb 25, 2019 2:41 pm

I mean, the article said the home video release would be announced in February, so hopefully we’ll know by the end of the week, eh?
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:39 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:
Robo4900 wrote:, and potentially including broadcast audio, so that'd be a plus.

I don’t think they’ll ever make their “No seriously these are the same voices you heard from 1996-1998 honest” dub commercially available again.

Hah. Japanese is what I meant.

Though, with nostalgia cash-in releases being a minor trend, I dunno... Maybe we'll see a Rock The Dragon: Volume 2 or something someday.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:

Hah. Japanese is what I meant.

Though, with nostalgia cash-in releases being a minor trend, I dunno... Maybe we'll see a Rock The Dragon: Volume 2 or something someday.
I don't see Rock the Dragon 2 happening, at least not as a sequel to the original and on DVD, it's been too long.

I do find the purported Funimation "collectible home release" interesting, especially because, as Geekdom pointed out there was an image of Goku and company all dressed as Tom, so clearly there is something on the way that caters specifically to dub fans and is related to Toonami, and if its celebrating that surely they can't be milking their remastered dub again.

The only thing I can think of is a Blu-Ray release of at least the first 3 seasons of the original Dragon Ball Z dub. I don't see why Funimation would put out a new release of the series and start with Freeza, and the only rationale for releasing the Saban dub again would be if it was on Blu-Ray. Even if it was just SD like Discoteks recent release of Beyblade people would but it just to have more episodes per disc, and take advantage of the other advantages of Blu-Ray such as higher bitrate, picture in picture features, etc.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:39 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:I don't see Rock the Dragon 2 happening, at least not as a sequel to the original and on DVD, it's been too long.

I do find the purported Funimation "collectible home release" interesting, especially because, as Geekdom pointed out there was an image of Goku and company all dressed as Tom, so clearly there is something on the way that caters specifically to dub fans and is related to Toonami, and if its celebrating that surely they can't be milking their remastered dub again.

The only thing I can think of is a Blu-Ray release of at least the first 3 seasons of the original Dragon Ball Z dub. I don't see why Funimation would put out a new release of the series and start with Freeza, and the only rationale for releasing the Saban dub again would be if it was on Blu-Ray. Even if it was just SD like Discoteks recent release of Beyblade people would but it just to have more episodes per disc, and take advantage of the other advantages of Blu-Ray such as higher bitrate, picture in picture features, etc.
1. Doesn't have to actually be "Rock The Dragon 2". I was more referring to what it would actually be rather than what it's called and billed as.
2. Doing something like this in HD would be crazy, and more than a little silly. They'd have to recreate, from scratch, every single title card, the OPs/EDs, all the Saban-era edits (which were very involved edit jobs!) as well as all the Funi-era edits if they're doing the TV versions (some of which were quite involved), all in HD. Very difficult, probably very costly, and if it's only 3 seasons, it'd have the Rock The Dragon problem of still just stopping part-way through the run, and everyone wanting more.
3. The Rock The Dragon sets were a limited release and are bloody expensive now. Anyone such as myself who'd like to just goddamn watch the version I grew up on is utterly screwed over by that, so putting out the Saban episodes on DVD again would be perfectly fine. And maybe this time they wouldn't screw up the visuals and that one NEP (RTD's visuals were heavily washed-out and blurred in the mastering; it looks utterly crap compared to, say, Madman's original release. And RTD also was missing an NEP due to an authoring error).

Granted, this thing will probably be a limited release too; it's "Collectible". And for that reason, it will suck. Not in terms of its authoring, encoding, mastering, or any other aspect like that, but in that no one who found out about it late, couldn't afford it at the time, etc. will have a chance in hell of getting their hands on this thing. And that sucks. Kind of ruins the entire point of making this stuff available, because it very quickly won't be availble anymore. :lolno:

Still, point is...
This is what it would be if it happened: Funi will dig out their original tapes of the final TV-edited masters of every episode they'd be doing for a release like this, they'll transfer them, and if we're lucky, they'll leave them alone, put them out on DVD complete and as-is, and we'll get to see that. If we're not lucky, they'll apply the same crappy filtering they put on Rock The Dragon, and it'll look crap but be the only option people have for this stuff, and it'll come in a nice box, so people will buy it anyway.
BD won't be an option due to the expense of redoing everything in HD, and it'll be a collector's item for the nostalgia market anyway, so it'll just be a DVD. Only chance it'd be on BD is if it's an upscale, which would give us nothing except a driven-up price and some "IN HD" deceptive marketing.

Personally, I'd much rather see them give this treatment to something actually special and worth our time, such as the Westwood or Harmony Gold dubs; those were never on home video, so if they put that stuff out, it'd be the first time fans who grew up on that stuff would be able to see it since the original airings (yes, Funi's OG dub is somewhat lost, but at least the original home video release exists, so you have the uncut version of the original dub, and all releases since have stemmed from those recordings; Ocean/Blue Water fans have nothing past the original Saban & Pioneer run). Of course, it's never going to happen; they'd have to negotiate it with Toei, so it'd be much easier to just dig out the tapes they already have of their own version, throw it onto Amazon in America, and let it sell out and fill eBay with overpriced used copies.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:36 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I remember making a video telling everybody that they were going to remaster the entire series in 2019 and 2020 and that was literally six months ago.

Here we are and that we still have non-believers.

I could have Toriyama on my channel someday some people will still say I'm "sketchy" and nonsense like that.

K, believe what you want
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:58 pm

Geekdom101 wrote:I remember making a video telling everybody that they were going to remaster the entire series in 2019 and 2020 and that was literally six months ago.

I could have Toriyama on my channel someday some people will still say I'm "sketchy" and nonsense like that.

K, believe what you want
At the same time you have to accept that right now you're considered a YouTube pundit, not a reliable source of leaked information like some ResetEra users.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:47 pm

This kind of reminds me of when Comicbook.com claimed that remastered, unedited Star Wars sets were going to be released. Naturally they had no proof whatsoever and they never followed up that article. That was several years ago.

As for Dragon Ball sets, I'll only consider it if they are 100% unedited. Meaning no English credit overlays or replacements, the movies retain their original title screens (and their titles in general), no removal of episode previews, and ABSOLUTELY NO CROPPING!!

Badmanvegeta1991

Post by Badmanvegeta1991 » Tue Feb 26, 2019 2:13 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
JohnnyCashKami wrote:

I remember making a video telling everybody that they were going to remaster the entire series in 2019 and 2020 and that was literally six months ago.

K, believe what you want
Hey Geekdom! I met you at Kameha con last year. Regularly watch your channel, keep up the good work and don’t sweat the haters. Just so you know I wasn’t discrediting you at all my man. I believe you are right, but man ppl on this forum will skin you alive if you don’t have 100 percent proof. So I have to be careful with Blindly following a YouTuber publicly on this forum lol.