How much discussion of "canon" was there pre-BOG?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

SSJ1Gohan

Re: How much discussion of "canon" was there pre-BOG?

Post by SSJ1Gohan » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:11 am

As you can tell, I didn't post much here in that time. I was more active on 4chan and other sites, and there wasn't really much talk about canon. People would sometimes talk about Online vs GT, and the argument would get shut down by the phrase 'Which one did Toriyama write?'

But, there was no real reason to talk about canon outside of the more "hardcore DB fan" (such a dumb phrase to write) discussions, as DBO was Korean only and GT was the ending most common fans knew. Neko Majin was accepted as just a comedic side story. Canon only really became a talking point with Battle of Gods, since it threw out GT, and then canon became an even bigger talking point with the fact that we have two series both called Super that contradict each other in various ways. Obviously, the canonical one is the one published by Shueisha, but it's better to throw out canon as a concept and just accept everything as different continuities at this point. It's easier and less causes less arguments. Also let's you live in your own little bubble where DBO still matters.
MAL: https://myanimelist.net/animelist/Kuropika_Kurta
Switch FC: SW-3139-1141-2342

Grimlock
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Grimlock » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:26 am

But you yourself is living in your little bubble with contradictory claims. Feels kinda weird, doesn't it?
Games - You are weak. Why are you weak?
Dragon Ball Super - *coughes*
Games - Because you lack... Content.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 am

I remember canon talk as early as 2007-2008. GT got a lot of flack, and I remember the forums I'd frequent, YouTube comment sections, and my friends would all say "Well, GT doesn't matter. It isn't canon." I also remember people discussing certain moments from DB/DBZ on forums, and others constantly chiming in saying "It wasn't in the manga, so it isn't canon." It was definitely happening on a consistent basis pre-BoG, but of course anime canon talk in general has become more rampant as time has gone on.

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 am

Forte224 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 am
I remember canon talk as early as 2007-2008. GT got a lot of flack, and I remember the forums I'd frequent, YouTube comment sections, and my friends would all say "Well, GT doesn't matter. It isn't canon." I also remember people discussing certain moments from DB/DBZ on forums, and others constantly chiming in saying "It wasn't in the manga, so it isn't canon." It was definitely happening on a consistent basis pre-BoG, but of course anime canon talk in general has become more rampant as time has gone on.
I'm curious how much people were talking about "Anime Canon vs Manga Canon" and how common the idea of that kind of separation was.

WittyUsername
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:22 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:29 am
Forte224 wrote:
Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:55 am
I'm curious how much people were talking about "Anime Canon vs Manga Canon" and how common the idea of that kind of separation was.
A common argument I remembered hearing was that the manga was the only canon, and that everything else was essentially just fan fiction. Basically, if Toriyama didn’t write it, then it’s irrelevant.

Goe

Post by Goe » Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:50 pm

My experience:

Before 2010, there was too litle discussion about canon: Toriyama’s manga was canon, anime, games etc weren’t. Even daizenshuu wasn’t considerated cannon since that power levels were not logical if you read the manga. However, some people considered Bardock special was canon since Toriyama said “It’s like authentic db”, while other fans considered wasn’t canon since plot was written by Takao Koyama.

In 2010, when the game Dragon Ball online came out, some fans considered that was canon since Toriyama was working in it, but others didn’t accept dbo was canon.

And when they release BoG...you know

Ringworm128
I Live Here

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 am

From what I remember it was mostly arguments on whether GT was canon, and which of the movies could fit in with the manga.
Retired from forum discussion.
[Avatar by Ei_Flow]