How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
HimuraBenny
Newbie
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:34 pm

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by HimuraBenny » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:39 pm

A tighter first and second act, oh and maybe a larger fight, like more heroes. Reliance on goku and vegeta is the real limiting factor imo.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm

I'm not sure it could. Even if they got rid of Nagamine (shit director), a big reason that Broly was as successful as it was is that it was about Broly. Apparently, he's a fan favorite character over here in the U.S. and that's why they suggested him to Toriyama for this movie. Combined with Super running right now in the U.S. and having finished on a very high note in Japan, everyone wanted to see it. Another movie that comes in 3 years or so could do well, but without the appeal of someone like Broly, I doubt it will do quite as well. I don't get it, but everyone seriously loved him even before the new movie (I like him now).

If Toei uses Yamamuro for directing (not the art) then the movie can easily be better, but Broly was a one shot thing. Reusing him for another movie would have to have a damn good reason to do it. It's possible, I suppose, but I think some people do want a new villain now.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20356
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm not sure it could. Even if they got rid of Nagamine (shit director), a big reason that Broly was as successful as it was is that it was about Broly. Apparently, he's a fan favorite character over here in the U.S. and that's why they suggested him to Toriyama for this movie. Combined with Super running right now in the U.S. and having finished on a very high note in Japan, everyone wanted to see it. Another movie that comes in 3 years or so could do well, but without the appeal of someone like Broly, I doubt it will do quite as well. I don't get it, but everyone seriously loved him even before the new movie (I like him now).

If Toei uses Yamamuro for directing (not the art) then the movie can easily be better, but Broly was a one shot thing. Reusing him for another movie would have to have a damn good reason to do it. It's possible, I suppose, but I think some people do want a new villain now.
Highly disagree with Nagamine being a "shit director" and disagree even further with concept of Yamamuro being able to direct a better movie. We've seen Yamamuro at the director's helm and its safe to say that he's very much unqualified for that kind of position.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 343
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:07 pm

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 pm
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm not sure it could. Even if they got rid of Nagamine (shit director), a big reason that Broly was as successful as it was is that it was about Broly. Apparently, he's a fan favorite character over here in the U.S. and that's why they suggested him to Toriyama for this movie. Combined with Super running right now in the U.S. and having finished on a very high note in Japan, everyone wanted to see it. Another movie that comes in 3 years or so could do well, but without the appeal of someone like Broly, I doubt it will do quite as well. I don't get it, but everyone seriously loved him even before the new movie (I like him now).

If Toei uses Yamamuro for directing (not the art) then the movie can easily be better, but Broly was a one shot thing. Reusing him for another movie would have to have a damn good reason to do it. It's possible, I suppose, but I think some people do want a new villain now.
Highly disagree with Nagamine being a "shit director" and disagree even further with concept of Yamamuro being able to direct a better movie. We've seen Yamamuro at the director's helm and its safe to say that he's very much unqualified for that kind of position.
In terms of art style, they should continue to use Shintani's since it was made to resemble the manga. But as a director, Yamamuro dominates Nagamine. Just remember who it is that decided chanting like "GO GOGETA GO GO" was a good idea. And who thought the new movie should have an uninterrupted 50 min. fight scene rather than breaking it up a bit (I find it overwhleming). In terms of pure directing, Yamamuro is simply better. The fight choreography is better, the choices of shots (how a scene is shown), everything was better with Yamamuro at the helm--except his art style and the "plastic look." I disagree on how bad it is, but Shintani is much nicer to look at. I think the new movie would have been much better than it was if Yamamuro had directed. He's proven himself twice with the last two movies. He should have done this movie, but again with Shintani's art style. Nagamine puts a sour taste in my mouth, and I really hope he doesn't direct anything again.

User avatar
emperior
I Live Here
Posts: 3524
Joined: Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:52 pm
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by emperior » Thu Mar 07, 2019 3:46 am

A new movie could be more successful than Broly if it is released simultaneously on the biggest markets.
I don’t think the story would matter much, but if the movie was about Goku and Vegeta having one last big fight (like they do in DB Online) I am sure it would attract an ever wider fan base than Broly has.
My canon

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 20356
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree
Contact:

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:52 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 pm
Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 pm
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm not sure it could. Even if they got rid of Nagamine (shit director), a big reason that Broly was as successful as it was is that it was about Broly. Apparently, he's a fan favorite character over here in the U.S. and that's why they suggested him to Toriyama for this movie. Combined with Super running right now in the U.S. and having finished on a very high note in Japan, everyone wanted to see it. Another movie that comes in 3 years or so could do well, but without the appeal of someone like Broly, I doubt it will do quite as well. I don't get it, but everyone seriously loved him even before the new movie (I like him now).

If Toei uses Yamamuro for directing (not the art) then the movie can easily be better, but Broly was a one shot thing. Reusing him for another movie would have to have a damn good reason to do it. It's possible, I suppose, but I think some people do want a new villain now.
Highly disagree with Nagamine being a "shit director" and disagree even further with concept of Yamamuro being able to direct a better movie. We've seen Yamamuro at the director's helm and its safe to say that he's very much unqualified for that kind of position.
In terms of art style, they should continue to use Shintani's since it was made to resemble the manga. But as a director, Yamamuro dominates Nagamine. Just remember who it is that decided chanting like "GO GOGETA GO GO" was a good idea. And who thought the new movie should have an uninterrupted 50 min. fight scene rather than breaking it up a bit (I find it overwhleming). In terms of pure directing, Yamamuro is simply better. The fight choreography is better, the choices of shots (how a scene is shown), everything was better with Yamamuro at the helm--except his art style and the "plastic look." I disagree on how bad it is, but Shintani is much nicer to look at. I think the new movie would have been much better than it was if Yamamuro had directed. He's proven himself twice with the last two movies. He should have done this movie, but again with Shintani's art style. Nagamine puts a sour taste in my mouth, and I really hope he doesn't direct anything again.
The fight choreography in Resurrection F (the film that Yamamuro directed) was abysmal. It was flat, uninspiring and reeked of
Yamamuro needlessly correcting scenes that appear to have some flair in them originally. Just the direction of the battle between Broly and Goku in the ice continent alone crushes anything seen Resurrection F.

And that's not even taking into consideration how incredibly dull the storyboarding and composition for Resurrection F is. The PV for Dragon Ball Super Broly -- which in itself is also a scene in the movie -- exemplifies how good storybodying and direction can be in a Dragon Ball animated feature.

There is nothing in Resurrection F, or anything that Yamamuro has directed, that comes close to this level of quality.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6060
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:29 pm
Lord Beerus wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:45 pm
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 7:40 pm
I'm not sure it could. Even if they got rid of Nagamine (shit director), a big reason that Broly was as successful as it was is that it was about Broly. Apparently, he's a fan favorite character over here in the U.S. and that's why they suggested him to Toriyama for this movie. Combined with Super running right now in the U.S. and having finished on a very high note in Japan, everyone wanted to see it. Another movie that comes in 3 years or so could do well, but without the appeal of someone like Broly, I doubt it will do quite as well. I don't get it, but everyone seriously loved him even before the new movie (I like him now).

If Toei uses Yamamuro for directing (not the art) then the movie can easily be better, but Broly was a one shot thing. Reusing him for another movie would have to have a damn good reason to do it. It's possible, I suppose, but I think some people do want a new villain now.
Highly disagree with Nagamine being a "shit director" and disagree even further with concept of Yamamuro being able to direct a better movie. We've seen Yamamuro at the director's helm and its safe to say that he's very much unqualified for that kind of position.
In terms of art style, they should continue to use Shintani's since it was made to resemble the manga. But as a director, Yamamuro dominates Nagamine. Just remember who it is that decided chanting like "GO GOGETA GO GO" was a good idea. And who thought the new movie should have an uninterrupted 50 min. fight scene rather than breaking it up a bit (I find it overwhleming). In terms of pure directing, Yamamuro is simply better. The fight choreography is better, the choices of shots (how a scene is shown), everything was better with Yamamuro at the helm--except his art style and the "plastic look." I disagree on how bad it is, but Shintani is much nicer to look at. I think the new movie would have been much better than it was if Yamamuro had directed. He's proven himself twice with the last two movies. He should have done this movie, but again with Shintani's art style. Nagamine puts a sour taste in my mouth, and I really hope he doesn't direct anything again.
Uh...Yamamuro's directing is almost universally regarded as even worse than his character designs and supervision. RF's storyboard was finished in less than a month and it shows. Bland, static, and repetitive shots, fighting sequences completely lacking in flow and cohesion (re-watch Goku s Frieza and peep how many times stuff changes between shots with no sort of segue), and no sense of scale.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

User avatar
Kuwabara
Regular
Posts: 655
Joined: Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:36 am

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm

When it comes to Dragon Ball, I really have a hard time figuring out just what people were expecting... It's a fun movie with some cool scenes. It's my least favorite out of the three newest films, and I agree Yamamuro's designs are pretty bland and that he's lost his touch, but people act like RF is one of the worst movies ever made for some reason. I'd pick RF over Lord Slug or Bio-Broly in a heart beat. A lot of the action scenes before Goku shows up are a great deal more complex than arguably most of the original run of Z, the cut with Tenshinhan subduing foes with what actually resemble martial arts techniques come to mind. For someone who had never directed a film before, it could have been a lot worse.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15364
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by ABED » Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:09 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm
A lot of the action scenes before Goku shows up are a great deal more complex than arguably most of the original run of Z,
Perhaps, but not good. It's a bunch of fighters taking out a hoard of lemmings that stood no chance in hell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6060
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:15 pm
Location: Georgia (I wish I was in New York)

Re: How could a new movie be more successful than DBS: Broly?

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:29 pm

Kuwabara wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 12:04 pm
When it comes to Dragon Ball, I really have a hard time figuring out just what people were expecting... It's a fun movie with some cool scenes. It's my least favorite out of the three newest films, and I agree Yamamuro's designs are pretty bland and that he's lost his touch, but people act like RF is one of the worst movies ever made for some reason. I'd pick RF over Lord Slug or Bio-Broly in a heart beat. A lot of the action scenes before Goku shows up are a great deal more complex than arguably most of the original run of Z, the cut with Tenshinhan subduing foes with what actually resemble martial arts techniques come to mind. For someone who had never directed a film before, it could have been a lot worse.
On this front, I agree. It's mostly just bland, but certainly not some abomination to DB cinema or anything.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World
"They say assholes grow on trees/But I'm just here to trim the leaves"
"If a girl is over 35 and not married, then she must be nuttier than squirrel shit." - Reverend Pastor Father Uncle Ruckus (no relation)

Post Reply