Is it okay for Goku to be an divorcee?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: Is it okay for Goku to be an divorcee?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:01 pm

Yuli Ban wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 10:32 am
TheBlackPaladin wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 2:29 pm Sometimes I think fans think about Dragon Ball in deeper terms than even Toriyama did.
Kunzait once laid out my own thoughts on this, and in the same overly-long rambling that I typically do as well.
In short: Dragon Ball is a shonen manga for 7/8 year olds and it knows what it wants to be. It's not trying to be deep.
Precisely. I think some fans like to argue that there's deeper stuff because they are hesitant to admit that they, as adults, love a show aimed at kids. I've never understood that. I'm 31 and have no qualms whatsoever about admitting that there are some phenomenal shows out there aimed primarily at kids, Dragon Ball most definitely included!

It also makes me wonder if there are American shows aimed at kids that people in other cultures try to make deeper sense of. Like, is there a SpongeBob SquarePants forum somewhere in Japan where Japanese adults are trying to discern the supposed "deeper meanings" of the show?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm

Harem? I thought Pan x shota Goku was the dream of the common folk.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

ZodaEX
Beyond Newbie

Post by ZodaEX » Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm

Tavarano wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm Harem? I thought Pan x shota Goku was the dream of the common folk.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is shota Goku? I don't watch the Japanese version of the show so i'm not familiar with the Japanese terms.

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tavarano » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:18 pm

ZodaEX wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 5:03 pm
Tavarano wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:37 pm Harem? I thought Pan x shota Goku was the dream of the common folk.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is shota Goku? I don't watch the Japanese version of the show so i'm not familiar with the Japanese terms.
Shota is a Japanese slang on cutesy, young males, in this case kid Goku from GT.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon May 27, 2019 5:27 pm

I don't want to come back to this, but just when did the common folk matchmake Goku with his own granddaughter? That's incest!
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon May 27, 2019 5:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 27, 2019 6:20 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon May 27, 2019 5:48 pm
OMG i was thinking the same thing when i saw that above quoted post. :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)