Would you be interested in a dubbed version of Super DB Heroes?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Would you be interested in a dubbed version of Super DB Heroes?

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 am

TheRed259 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:56 pm Now that the series is getting better
lol

No, I don't need alt-language dubs of a long-form commercial for a game I don't care about, that adds nothing to DB's characters or themes and generally has no finesse or depth of it's own. Heroes is and always has been constructed on what-if battles and adding new forms or variations on existing character designs. It hasn't changed to something with real substance or charm at all, and probably never will. It's exactly what it needs to be: a cheap series of animated shorts to promote a card-based video game for kids. From what I hear, it's a good card game for kids, but mostly I'd prefer Dragon Ball's western marketing and efforts go to less-boring, better-constructed products.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 am

Maybe a TFS fandub.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:32 am

Only if it becomes a full-fledged anime. There are certain characters that I would love to hear in my dub, as well as I would finally follow a series that it is not afraid to explore other ideas instead of wasting time with garbage stuff with uninteresting characters.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:00 am

No thank you.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:13 am

Most definitely if only for another title to add to my ever growing collection of Dragon Ball DVDs and Blu-Rays.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:24 am

TBH I really want to see TFS do something with it, and have an ending where it's shown to be a fanfic written by Yamcha or something.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:34 am

The show isn't even 10mins long and the story's garbage but why do I watch it? It's Dragon Ball. Would I want it dubbed? No.

Just leave as is, an anime promo for a card game.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:37 am

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:18 am Maybe a TFS fandub.

No thanks. An official dub isn’t even something I want, but TFS even less so.

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Post by TheRed259 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:56 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 am
TheRed259 wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:56 pm Now that the series is getting better
lol
Episode 9 was good for Super DB Heroes standards. This episode was definitely more interesting that the previous ones. :)

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 pm

I would most certainly disagree. The most it had going for it was slightly more action animation than usual. I neither expect that to happen consistently, nor does it help the total lack of charm or depth that I've come to expect from even very poor Dragon Ball stories. It's flawed at it's core as this 2kool4skool, self-important, completely un-Toriyama fanservice vehicle, but it's execution and production being about as flat and boring as humanly possible is what really kills it.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:45 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:40 pm I would most certainly disagree. The most it had going for it was slightly more action animation than usual. I neither expect that to happen consistently, nor does it help the total lack of charm or depth that I've come to expect from even very poor Dragon Ball stories. It's flawed at it's core as this 2kool4skool, self-important, completely un-Toriyama fanservice vehicle, but it's execution and production being about as flat and boring as humanly possible is what really kills it.
That's why it would be perfect for TFS to make a parody of.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:07 pm

I mean, sure, I don't really care about that. Theirs isn't really an adaptation in the first place, that's a whole different thing. They can do whatever they want.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:42 am

If it was an Ocean dub, yes.

Though, tbh I'd probably watch any Ocean dubbing work on Dragon Ball, so Heroes isn't any special case here. Only real difference is, like Super, I'd have no interest in a Funi dub, and I'm only barely interested in the Japanese version.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 am

I don't know what I'd do with myself if Heroes got a dub before, say, the "Yo! Son Goku..." special, or the any of the OVAs, or hell, even a re dub of the Original Dragon Ball anime...
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:13 am

PremiumSalt wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:52 am I don't know what I'd do with myself if Heroes got a dub before, say, the "Yo! Son Goku..." special, or the any of the OVAs, or hell, even a re dub of the Original Dragon Ball anime...
There's hardly a need to re-dub Dragon Ball as it has been dubbed and it does its service. However, I agree with the rest.

The FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball is obviously not as good as their Kai dub but if you think FUNi would re-dub a series with 153 episodes that they deem not as profitable as Z, then don't expect it to happen. Don't like it? Watch it subbed.

Not to mention the FUNimation VAs are acting higher than mighty on Twitter recently so we should see what that all boils down to.

jamiljamtheman
Beyond Newbie

Post by jamiljamtheman » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:17 am

I don't care so much about dubbed, but I really want an official localized version--subbed is fine--so that I can watch it in some capacity of English officially.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:37 am

I tried watching the first few episodes and to say it was pretty rough to get through is an understatement, so no.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:14 pm

I doubt there is any demand to have it dub at all.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:49 pm

Shaddy wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:32 am
lol

No, I don't need alt-language dubs of a long-form commercial for a game I don't care about, that adds nothing to DB's characters or themes and generally has no finesse or depth of it's own. Heroes is and always has been constructed on what-if battles and adding new forms or variations on existing character designs. It hasn't changed to something with real substance or charm at all, and probably never will. It's exactly what it needs to be: a cheap series of animated shorts to promote a card-based video game for kids. From what I hear, it's a good card game for kids, but mostly I'd prefer Dragon Ball's western marketing and efforts go to less-boring, better-constructed products.
Saying that SDBH is a card game for kids is like saying Dokkan Battle is a mobile game for kids. Adults also play the game. Matter of fact most of the SDBH YouTubers are adults. This feels like an insult to those of us older who want to play SDBH.

I don't like the SDBH anime. But don't be representing the game and actual story itself based on the anime. The premise is interesting, much more interesting and diverse than DBSuper at least.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!