Would you have liked to see a Dragon Ball Classic Toei Doga Movie?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Would you have liked to see a Dragon Ball Classic Toei Doga Movie?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:51 pm

AKA The only one who will get this topic is Kunzait.

With this I mean the old guard of Toei, during the 50's to the...70's I think. I would! These movies are classics for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXXvjJ7BkOY
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Would you have liked to see a Dragon Ball Classic Toei Doga Movie?

Post by sangofe » Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:26 pm

I think it'd feel too weird.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 pm

I think it would be lovely actually! That level of realism and fluidity could do wonders for Dragon Ball.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Thu May 09, 2019 11:02 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:51 pm AKA The only one who will get this topic is Kunzait.

With this I mean the old guard of Toei, during the 50's to the...70's I think. I would! These movies are classics for a reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXXvjJ7BkOY
Toei did make one. It was called "Saiyuki" from 1960. It adapts Journey to the West straight and Son Goku is an anthropomorphic monkey in this version. The film was released as Alakazam the Great in the West, which unfortunately renamed all the characters and removed all references to Journey to the West. Find it in Japanese with subtitles if you can, because it's a lot more like Dragon Ball than the English dub. The changes made to the English dub rendered it unrecognizable from the source material.
Last edited by DrBriefsCat on Thu May 09, 2019 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Thu May 09, 2019 11:21 am

It exists as a curiosity in my mind at best, and not much else. The visual styles between the two are just too contrasting, Dragon Ball just wouldn't mesh in that format at all, despite in THEORY them being a perfect match. That being said, I do love reinterpretations of classics, as long as they're done with care. There was a section on Kanzenshuu in the past that had a collection of images by different manga artists drawing Dragon Ball in their own style, which I absolutely adored. If someone could find me that page again, I'd be very grateful.