Why weren't the NEPs of DBGT included on the Green Bricks?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Why weren't the NEPs of DBGT included on the Green Bricks?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:47 pm

FUNimation not only did they dub it but they also subtitled each and every NEP of Dragon Ball GT but then, on the Green Bricks they were nowhere to be found. Why? Is it because the Blue and Orange Bricks didn't have NEPs? That's kinda stupid they omitted content originally intended to be seen with the show itself.

The GT NEPs were pretty much the first ones I've seen with my eyes and I loved it, even moreso that they were actually subtitled in English whereas we didn't get for Dragon Ball or Dragon Ball Z (till the Dragon Boxes Z arrived).

I'm guessing a lot don't care but the NEPs to add value to the entertainment as you get to hear Son narrating what's on the next episode.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Why weren't the NEPs of DBGT included on the Green Bricks?

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:51 pm

My guess is the logic that, since you own all the episodes being talked about in the NEPs (with the exception of the first episode of the next brick) there was no reason to include those ads. Also remember that the Funimation discs tend to have one or two more episodes than the Japanese discs, so they'd need more space to have a presentable bit rate quality.

Thankfully they were kept on the Kai episodes. If the NEPs are present on the Dragon Ball Super releases then I'd expect that Funi will keep them for the 30th release, assuming that's the new master we keep speculating about.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm

The audience that the bricks are catering to couldn't care less about NEPs.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:52 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm The audience that the bricks are catering to couldn't care less about NEPs.
True, but a missed opportunity for FUNimation to use their dub with the original GT score on the NEPs. I'd hope that FUNimation releases Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT on Blu-ray but that had yet to happen.

Dragon Box GT looks visually beautiful as it is and it's not even remastered in HD, a HD version would sorta blow my mind by how gorgeous it'd be.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:57 pm

I guess they may have found them redundant or something with the episodes being right there on the discs, though they indeed left them intact for the singles which i vastly prefer on the complete presentation of the Japanese version but also the technical thing of the episode count and the need for bitrate. That is in comparison to the GT singles which could fit everything on including NEP's due to the small number of episodes that were on each disc, so as a result they were left off despite being present in the previous release.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:00 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:52 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm The audience that the bricks are catering to couldn't care less about NEPs.
True, but a missed opportunity for FUNimation to use their dub with the original GT score on the NEPs. I'd hope that FUNimation releases Dragon Ball and Dragon Ball GT on Blu-ray but that had yet to happen.

Dragon Box GT looks visually beautiful as it is and it's not even remastered in HD, a HD version would sorta blow my mind by how gorgeous it'd be.
Though the singles aren't encoded too well (a result of the time in which FUNimation produced them) they are at least the closest approximation we have to the GT Dragon Box at this point in terms of having the Japanese version with the complete and proper presentation with all of the elements present.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 am

I'm not buying the idea of "they're redundant because you have the episodes." By that logic, all the recaps should be gone too. In fact, FUNimation's first two DVDs, Ginyu Assault and Ginyu Double Cross, cut those out and fan demand ensured they were reinstated on all future releases. But if spending 30 seconds seeing clips of what you're about to see is considered redundant, than watching a minute and a half's worth of footage you just watched is even more redundant. My guess would be some ridiculous concern of "consistency." Since the other bricks didn't have NEPs, maybe they figured it would be odd that only GT did. Admittedly, since the GT singles were inconsistent in that regard to the releases of the other series, that could be considered illogical as well. But then again, positions on issues change over time.

Another guess I have is tied into the decision FUNimation made after the Z bricks to stop using alternate angles between the original version and the dub, instead opting to only use the English versions of titles and credits on both audio tracks (yuck). I'm too tired at the moment to check my GT singles, and I've never watched them in English, but I'm willing to bet, assuming the English version contains the previews at all, at the very least, they chopped off the "Next Time on Dragon Ball GT" logo that precedes all previews. They've never kept that bit. Obviously that wasn't a problem when each language option could have its own video elements. But now that they have to share them, I could see it being a problem. As the English version changed the logo, the one used in the NEPs wouldn't match their own show. So if that bit was chopped out of every NEP, it would affect the timing and also heavily impact the music. And I doubt they felt it was worth their time to go in and replace that element for what's essentially a re-release of a less-than-well-received show. It was probably easier just to cut them, especially since it would mean all three series were consistent in their lack of previews.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:35 am

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 am I'm not buying the idea of "they're redundant because you have the episodes."
As the bible says, Funimation works in strange ways. That's accurate, right?

Puto
I Live Here

Post by Puto » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 am I'm too tired at the moment to check my GT singles, and I've never watched them in English, but I'm willing to bet, assuming the English version contains the previews at all, at the very least, they chopped off the "Next Time on Dragon Ball GT" logo that precedes all previews. They've never kept that bit.
They did keep it, though with the logo replaced with their own.

I personally suspect they removed them because they didn't have a Japanese BGM track to go with the previews (most foreign dubs that kept the previews had to halfass something in there because Toei didn't include the preview BGM track in the provided materials).
Blue wrote:I love how Season 2 is so off color even the box managed to be so.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:28 pm

Puto wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:20 pm
Gaffer Tape wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:05 am I'm too tired at the moment to check my GT singles, and I've never watched them in English, but I'm willing to bet, assuming the English version contains the previews at all, at the very least, they chopped off the "Next Time on Dragon Ball GT" logo that precedes all previews. They've never kept that bit.
They did keep it, though with the logo replaced with their own.

I personally suspect they removed them because they didn't have a Japanese BGM track to go with the previews (most foreign dubs that kept the previews had to halfass something in there because Toei didn't include the preview BGM track in the provided materials).
I believe the GT singles were the only release prior to the Dragon Boxes Z that FUNi put out to actually have the proper NEP's, because unlike DB and Z which were on digibeta duplicate tapes they were sent the pre Dragon Box restoration versions of the masters from Toei including the proper elements for them to have the original next episode previews on the one branching track to go on the Japanese side.This had also allowed them to go and create their own custom re cut versions for the English dub video track.

I know they replaced the next time screen including the original GT logo to a version with FUNi's own metallic logo, though otherwise the bulk of the dub previews on the singles have the same exact footage as the Japanese previews.

HarveyPlissken

Post by HarveyPlissken » Wed Jun 21, 2023 8:52 pm

I wonder if someone tried to use the isolated English NEP audio and have them sync up with the Japanese BGM? So far, it's only for the English dub soundtrack. It does kinda annoy me that they haven't included them in the Green Bricks (even as just a bonus feature). My guess is that it might have been done for consistency with the DB & Z sets.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jun 21, 2023 9:03 pm

I thought Andrew Chandler was a pretty decent narrator. I like how he would go "GEEEEE TEEEEE". Though his narration style doesn't mix well with the Japanese score.