Dragon Ball Funimation English Closed Captions

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

English subtitles

Dragon Ball Funimation English Closed Captions

Post by English subtitles » Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:53 pm

I have finally managed to get the English Closed Captions for Dragon Ball; especially in Funimation DB GT, the dialogues were difficult to follow due to british accents and makeup names (Giru's dialogues are hard to make sense of).

How do mere children who are English native speakers understand the names without having them in written form? As I child, I grew up watching the anime in my native tongue but many terms were changed, so that for example a kamehameha was a "vital wave".

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball Funimation English Closed Captions

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 12:37 am

Onda Vital, eh? So that means you got one of the dubs of Spain. Off topic, but which dub did you receive (Castellan, Galician, Catalan, Valencian, or Basque)?

As for names, it depends. Without a proper translation, kids who watch the Funi dub wouldn't know what a Shenron or a Masenko is. I honestly never considered your question. Since the Funi dub was shown right as the Internet started to gain popularity, the kids might have looked up the names from the website. That or official merchandise.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Funimation English Closed Captions

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Mar 25, 2019 2:41 pm

For the most part, English speakers can understand the various other native English accents. Only a few are so different that we’d have trouble.

You got the closed captioning from the DVDs? I know all FUNi’s original releases had them.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."