Quick question about UUE releases of Movies 1-3

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Char Aznable
Regular

Quick question about UUE releases of Movies 1-3

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:27 am

I'm collecting the movie singles since they're the only way to get them in 4:3, so I've ordered the singles for Movies 1-3 on eBay. When they got here, I noticed that Movie 1 has a 'shiny' cover, kind of like a holo card out of a TCG or something. Movies 2 and 3 do not look like this, they're instead regular DVD covers. I checked out the Home Video guide here and saw that Movie 1 came out by itself and 2 and 3 a year later on the same day, and there's also the 'First Strike' boxset which had all three. Every image I see online of Movie 1 from this boxset looks like it has a regular cover like the other two. It's gotten to the point where I ordered another copy of Movie 1 (yes I know, it was cheap) to see it firsthand.

So my question is were there two versions of the UUE Movie 1 cover, one with 'holo' art and one without? Did 2 and 3 ever have this or was it just 1? It sounds stupid but I'm asking just out of curiosity and also because I like having as much consistency on the shelf as possible.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Quick question about UUE releases of Movies 1-3

Post by Forte224 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am

Don't worry, I know what you mean by consistency. I bought the UUE movies recently for the same reason, 4:3 (with Simmons subtitles) and all 3 boxes are definitely not holo. I think (key word: think) if you buy the box set of the movies then they won't be holo.

Not sure of your region, but this is a good price for the box set, and the pictures seem to show all covers as consistently not holo:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dragon-Ball-Z- ... Swe~Bb0~Qh

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 am

Forte224 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am Don't worry, I know what you mean by consistency. I bought the UUE movies recently for the same reason, 4:3 (with Simmons subtitles) and all 3 boxes are definitely not holo. I think (key word: think) if you buy the box set of the movies then they won't be holo.

Not sure of your region, but this is a good price for the box set, and the pictures seem to show all covers as consistently not holo:
Interesting, so I'm guessing that the holo version of Movie 1 that I have was the early single release of the movie then. It's a shame because I actually find the cover kind of cool like it, I just need to Goo Gone some of the sticker residue off, heh. I would love to get 2 and 3 in the same style but I guess that simply doesn't exist.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:40 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:55 am
Forte224 wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 11:38 am Don't worry, I know what you mean by consistency. I bought the UUE movies recently for the same reason, 4:3 (with Simmons subtitles) and all 3 boxes are definitely not holo. I think (key word: think) if you buy the box set of the movies then they won't be holo.

Interesting, so I'm guessing that the holo version of Movie 1 that I have was the early single release of the movie then. It's a shame because I actually find the cover kind of cool like it, I just need to Goo Gone some of the sticker residue off, heh. I would love to get 2 and 3 in the same style but I guess that simply doesn't exist.
It's possible holo covers exist, I'm just going off all I know, which is that the 3 pack I bought has non-holo covers. It's a shame because my local used video store had the UUE movie 2 recently but I don't remember if it was holo and now it's been sold.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 pm

According to Kanzenshuu’s Home Video Guide, Movie 2 and Movie 3 weren’t released separately, so the non-holo version is the only version. I would assume the reason for you having a holographic edition of Movie 1 is from someone buying it, planning to buy the next two...only to have FUNi release them solely in boxset form. Then the buyer had two copies of Movie 1, so he did away with the less-cool extra.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:18 pm

I went ahead and bought it, figured $20 is not a bad price for all three. I'm going to end up with extra copies of the movies but I have a lot of extra stuff to sell off anyway.
linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 4:50 pm According to Kanzenshuu’s Home Video Guide, Movie 2 and Movie 3 weren’t released separately, so the non-holo version is the only version. I would assume the reason for you having a holographic edition of Movie 1 is from someone buying it, planning to buy the next two...only to have FUNi release them solely in boxset form. Then the buyer had two copies of Movie 1, so he did away with the less-cool extra.
It's all subjective of course, I would've preferred having holo versions of the covers for shits and giggles. I didn't realize that Movies 2 and 3 never got an individual release outside the set, so that clears it up!

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:24 pm

I have always found it interesting that FUNi put out the UUE version of Z Movie 1 just after the Ultimate Uncut Edition DVD's had started being released in April 2005, yet for some reason they held off on movies 2 and 3 until the First Strike box set just about a year later well after the line was over after the abrupt and dead silent cancellation. I don't get why they waited when they could have just released them at the same time individually as the first movie was in the middle of said discs coming out.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)