Preferred Printing of the English Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Preferred Printing of the English Manga

Post by Plague-Memories » Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:18 am

Self-explanatory topic, I think. I already own the Viz volume singles, but I'm starting to collect the Viz Big versions too for the color chapters. Which version do you prefer or is there one you feel is definitive?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Preferred Printing of the English Manga

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am

Easy, Full Colour. It's absolutely GORGEOUS to look at, makes the panels even clearer to read than they already were, and so far it's the only English release of the manga that's at the same size as it was in the original Shonen Jump releases.

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am Easy, Full Colour. It's absolutely GORGEOUS to look at, makes the panels even clearer to read than they already were, and so far it's the only English release of the manga that's at the same size as it was in the original Shonen Jump releases.

I know it's not uncensored but is it any worse than earlier viz releases? Are middle fingers removed?
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:29 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 pm
KBABZ wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:20 am Easy, Full Colour. It's absolutely GORGEOUS to look at, makes the panels even clearer to read than they already were, and so far it's the only English release of the manga that's at the same size as it was in the original Shonen Jump releases.

I know it's not uncensored but is it any worse than earlier viz releases? Are middle fingers removed?
I have some of the Shonen Jump tankobon style books which i am still currently collecting, and the printings i own do include things like Bulma giving Emperor Pilaf the middle finger and some of the scenes of nudity that other editions have (albeit inconsistently) edited over time since Viz has had the license to the manga.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:53 pm

TobyS wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:22 pm I know it's not uncensored but is it any worse than earlier viz releases? Are middle fingers removed?
Dunno, what would be an example? I only all the Full Colors in English, so that's the Saiyan and Namek arcs.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:01 pm

I am too curious about this topic. Out of the complete versions of the manga, which ones would be the best in people's opinion?
I got some mixed feelings about getting the 3-in-1 volumes since I do like the artwork in general.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm

Not true. You’re forgetting about the Special "Manga-Style" Edition. It was Viz’s first stand-alone release of Dragon Ball.

My favorite release would have to be the Full Color release, with the Special "Manga-Style" Edition release as my second favorite, probably becuz of the nostalgia factor. I remember getting one as a kid back when Dragon Ball was a cool, mysterious product from Japan, and finding TRUE information about it online was a struggel. And each one came in a nice plastic cover that just screamed “special”. Tho that might’ve just been something my local comic store had added to them.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:27 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm
Not true. You’re forgetting about the Special "Manga-Style" Edition. It was Viz’s first stand-alone release of Dragon Ball.
Huh, never heard of that until now!

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm You’re forgetting about the Special "Manga-Style" Edition. It was Viz’s first stand-alone release of Dragon Ball.

My favorite release would have to be the Full Color release, with the Special "Manga-Style" Edition release as my second favorite, probably becuz of the nostalgia factor.
What is the difference between the "Manga-Style" edition and other releases from Viz ?

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:53 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 3:12 pm

My favorite release would have to be the Full Color release, with the Special "Manga-Style" Edition release as my second favorite, probably becuz of the nostalgia factor. I remember getting one as a kid back when Dragon Ball was a cool, mysterious product from Japan, and finding TRUE information about it online was a struggel. And each one came in a nice plastic cover that just screamed “special”. Tho that might’ve just been something my local comic store had added to them.
By "Manga Style" are you referring to those single digest volumes that were like the standard style of comic books here? Which were the ones that Viz put out from when they first got the rights to the series in 1998, up until they discontinued them a few years later and started releasing the collected equivalents to the original Japanese tankobon volumes in the Shonen Jump graphic novel format.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am

Did they ever finish a run of the full colour in English?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:20 am

Plague-Memories wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:13 am
Did they ever finish a run of the full colour in English?
No, just Raditz to Frieza looming towards Earth. Shame really.

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:47 am

Damn. Not sure if it's worth shelling out $15 a volume in that case but I'll probably still do it :lol:

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am

I do like the Omnibus editions. Yea the paper quality isnt the best but it's not to bad and it's a cheap way to get the series

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:09 pm

Plague-Memories wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:47 am Damn. Not sure if it's worth shelling out $15 a volume in that case but I'll probably still do it :lol:
I bought seven of the eight volumes in one hit at my GFs favourite comics store while I was visiting her city. It's SO worth it IMO.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am I do like the Omnibus editions. Yea the paper quality isnt the best but it's not to bad and it's a cheap way to get the series
TBH, as far as budget releases go, it's perfectly serviceable. Arguably a better way to read than the individual volumes, and cheaper too, so... If it works, there you are.

VizBigs are probably a generally better release, but prices are all over the place.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 11:59 am I do like the Omnibus editions. Yea the paper quality isnt the best but it's not to bad and it's a cheap way to get the series
TBH, as far as budget releases go, it's perfectly serviceable. Arguably a better way to read than the individual volumes, and cheaper too, so... If it works, there you are.

VizBigs are probably a generally better release, but prices are all over the place.
Agreed. I enjoy the 3-in-1s for what they are and for the reasons people have listed before (easy to read, etc.). For that same reason, I'm not really keen on the VizBigs. They feel really fragile despite its weight. The spines do not last on those things. I wish I could compare to the Full Color runs but I have yet to pick any up.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:52 pm

Chilly wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:34 pm
Robo4900 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:32 pm

Agreed. I enjoy the 3-in-1s for what they are and for the reasons people have listed before (easy to read, etc.). For that same reason, I'm not really keen on the VizBigs. They feel really fragile despite its weight. The spines do not last on those things. I wish I could compare to the Full Color runs but I have yet to pick any up.
I mean i have been buying the standard Shonen Jump Graphic tankobon style books and they are decent enough overall for what they are, not to mention that i have been getting them for fairly cheap prices at the ocal book store i frequent so to me personally they are a release to collect if you want the manga for a good deal for the entire series, albeit split down the middle into DB/DBZ unlike the Japanese tankobon.I have been buying them for about $3.00 a book so they're good if you are looking to get them at bargain levels like me.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm

Akamay wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pmWhat is the difference between the "Manga-Style" edition and other releases from Viz ?
The Special "Manga Style" Edition is larger, contains three or four chapters each, and look like American comics. But they only release chapter 1~142 and 195~309 before canceling it for their new Viz Graphic Novels line, which only got chapter 1~120 and 195~313 before yet another canceling. This time it was for their new Shonen Jump Graphic Novels line in which they FINALLY got every chapter out. That's their current standard release. I don't have exact dimensions, but each release was smaller than the last.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Mar 28, 2019 4:11 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:58 pm
Akamay wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:35 pmWhat is the difference between the "Manga-Style" edition and other releases from Viz ?
The Special "Manga Style" Edition is larger, contains three or four chapters each, and look like American comics. But they only release chapter 1~142 and 195~309 before canceling it for their new Viz Graphic Novels line, which only got chapter 1~120 and 195~313 before yet another canceling. This time it was for their new Shonen Jump Graphic Novels line in which they FINALLY got every chapter out. That's their current standard release. I don't have exact dimensions, but each release was smaller than the last.
I believe the SJ Graphic Novel line is pretty much almost exactly the same in terms of it's setup to the original 42 tankobon volumes in Japan, aside from them splitting the series right down the middle into Dragon Ball for 1-16 and Dragon Ball Z for 1-26 relative to the anime doing the same thing.