Dragon Ball GT complete series Madman DVD set questions and thoughts

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Dragon Ball GT complete series Madman DVD set questions

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:32 pm

Correct. Though many companies and thus fans in general think it's a "movie" it's actually a TV Special, had FUNimation not decided to chop off the Preview + Title Opening that'd have been clear to those who'd seen it.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:47 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pmAs with all the uncut DVDs, it's Mr. Satan, though I think Funi often called him Hercule Satan.
Having watched as much of the show as needed for the GT Review of Awesomeness, I only came across one instance of Hercule being used, and that was a crowd chanting his name in the episode where Baby shows up on Earth. The rest of the time it's consistently Mr. Satan, although I imagine if there was one place it'd show up, it's the Tournament mini-filler after the Baby arc.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:48 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:15 pm They left a big gap of green space rather than fill it with the GT logo.
Let that DVD cover alone :wink:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:51 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:48 pm
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:15 pm They left a big gap of green space rather than fill it with the GT logo.
Let that DVD cover alone :wink:
(Goku is shown powering up the Kaio-Ken)

"KAMEHAMEHA!!!!!!!!!" :lol:
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:02 pm

To be pedantic, the rap does show up on the "Remastered" GT sets, but only on the TV special's ending and only on the 'US music' track.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 pm

Yeah Robo4900 I can see what you mean.

What I was getting at with with my point on GT Vs super was take trunks/ Goku black and evil dragons of gt. (Theses are last 2 of each I know as tournemant of power has not come out on dubbed disc yet lol)

GT - great villains - the evil dragons like omega , created by all the over-reliance on the Dragonballs and wasted wishes = look cool with great backstory

cool transformations : SSJ 4 vegeta , Omega Shenron with balls absorbed.

great ideas : the over arcing plot. One dragon annoyed they were created by panties wish , bulma helping her man reach ssj 4 ect...

terrible writing : lol base kid Goku wins

Vs

Super - average/bad villians , Goku black. I mean I oftern laugh sonic copies dragon ball but now Goku has his own shadow the hedgehog. Though mayjor fanboy points for Zamasu been dubbed by spike from buffy lol even evolution gets points with me for using him lol

Lazy transformations , oh it's rose like blue

bad ideas - why is mai grown up? They aren't children in trunks's time as trunks mentions in Z piccolo is dead so they can't use the dragon balls , the idea exists to ship.

The whole plot is a giant paradox and why is trunks doing a spirit bomb that creates a sword?

Great writing that makes it some how work. - the use of cells time machine , the button to summon Grand Zeno was teased so much earlier that it wasnt an asspull , kid trunks and others thinking future trunks is his brother , trunks going to Gohan and seeing he has a happy life so doesn't drag him into it ect.... Some how the previous negatives work now and it's an enjoyable watch

That's why I see them as equal as their positives and cons balance both to been ok.

Yes base ball and Goku with krillin were really fun. I loved the Arale episode too it was so meta like vegeta saying it's the last time hell fight a gag manga character (obviously it's funny because Dragonball itself is a gag manga) all three of those are really really good

Also yes TV special. I personally count those as movies. Like a lot of shows have those they are "made for TV movies" like Wizards of Waverly Place: The Movie is a made for TV movie , or The Incredible Hulk Returns was a made for TV movies based on hulk series. That's why I count it like I count trunks and bardock too. But I can that might not be how most think. However regardless of what it's called A Hero's Legacy is phenomenal.

Though I will be snarky and point out official description for this box set says
Contains episodes 1-64 and movie
So :P I win ! (yes I'm a petty petty man lol)

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am

Watched first 5 episodes today here's my first impressions.

Audio - i swapped to USA broadcast audio. As default was English plus Japanese music in 5.1 surround. I don't have surround sound so it sounded off like certain dialogue sounded faded out or underwater. I can't say if that's the DVDs fault as maybe with 5.1 surround it'd sound amazing. But without is bad like looking at 3d with no glasses =/= the pictures bad.

So far I'm enjoying it more this time as little Goku , trunks and pan looking for Dragonballs stopping to help locals ect. Is so charming and feels much like Dragonball.

Hilarious note. My nephew saw this guy

And said "HIT!" till he then realised it wasnt hit from super lol

Bit only seen first 5 so far but it's fun revisiting it as you appreciate it more as how bad it was when I saw Vs how bad the fandom make it out to be are so far apart you enjoy it more. At least so far

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:31 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNzBZ3WyOA

Although this is dubbed in Latin Spanish, it's exactly what you'd see before the GT Special starts but FUNimation removed that even from the GT Singles for some reason (don't tell me they didn't have space for 30s).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:23 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:31 am https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PhNzBZ3WyOA

Although this is dubbed in Latin Spanish, it's exactly what you'd see before the GT Special starts but FUNimation removed that even from the GT Singles for some reason (don't tell me they didn't have space for 30s).
I don't get why they did that, but then again both of the Bardock and Trunks special DVDs by FUNi didn't have the previews before the start either which the Japanese releases i know actually include.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm

Other thing I noticed is has the eyecatch like

https://youtu.be/24LN1ioQBOc

That , which are awesome I've never seen those before. The look soooo cute.

Also it says stay tuned for scenes from the next Dragonball gt. But there's no preview. I don't mind removing the previews but if you do remove the line saying they are there lol.

Also the intro is much better than the rap. I like it. Though I was expecting this

https://youtu.be/uPDP3S4dYcY

As I admit fully I assumed that's what what Dan Dan translated to :lol: :lol: you may mock me.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:15 pm

SSJmole wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm Other thing I noticed is has the eyecatch like

Also it says stay tuned for scenes from the next Dragonball gt. But there's no preview. I don't mind removing the previews but if you do remove the line saying they are there lol.

Also the intro is much better than the rap. I like it. Though I was expecting this

As I admit fully I assumed that's what what Dan Dan translated to :lol: :lol: you may mock me.
Those are the original Japanese eyecatches and they are indeed pretty cute looking, though i personally prefer the ones from Dragon Ball and DBZ. My favorite by far is the Goku/Gohan ones. ^^

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:24 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:15 pm
SSJmole wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm Other thing I noticed is has the eyecatch like

Those are the original Japanese eyecatches and they are indeed pretty cute looking, though i personally prefer the ones from Dragon Ball and DBZ. My favorite by far is the Goku/Gohan ones. ^^
The ones I've seen from dd and DBZ are cool too. Kai and super ones seem too serious Vs GT ones lol

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:58 pm

SSJmole wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 pm Great writing that makes it some how work. - the use of cells time machine , the button to summon Grand Zeno was teased so much earlier that it wasnt an asspull , kid trunks and others thinking future trunks is his brother , trunks going to Gohan and seeing he has a happy life so doesn't drag him into it ect.... Some how the previous negatives work now and it's an enjoyable watch
I dunno. To me, it still feels like bad writing. To each their own, I guess. :lol:

Thing that bothers me about the Zeno button is that the Black arc had the setup for a subversive, interesting direction; at every turn, the guys were outmatched, and then it ended with them losing; Zamas/Black was too powerful to be beaten, and was set up to win. Except Trunks suddenly had an asspull that let him win. Except Black had an asspull that meant he won. Except Goku had the Zeno button which gave us a literal deus ex machina; everything that has happened in the arc so far is undone except for Trunks and Mai's presence, which is quickly handwaved by the time machine, and we end with everything fine and dandy; the goodguys lost by a wide margin, but no one even vaguely cares, no consequences are felt, and the way they got out of it was a very literal deus ex machina.

Enjoy what you like, but I'm a picky git, and this stuff bugs me. :lol:
SSJmole wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 pm Yes base ball and Goku with krillin were really fun. I loved the Arale episode too it was so meta like vegeta saying it's the last time hell fight a gag manga character (obviously it's funny because Dragonball itself is a gag manga) all three of those are really really good
Yeah. I always forget about the Dr. Slump episode; that was solid gold.
SSJmole wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 5:41 pm Though I will be snarky and point out official description for this box set says
Contains episodes 1-64 and movie
So :P I win ! (yes I'm a petty petty man lol)
Curses!! foiled again by Funimation's deceptive marketing!! :lol:
SSJmole wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am Audio - i swapped to USA broadcast audio. As default was English plus Japanese music in 5.1 surround. I don't have surround sound so it sounded off like certain dialogue sounded faded out or underwater. I can't say if that's the DVDs fault as maybe with 5.1 surround it'd sound amazing. But without is bad like looking at 3d with no glasses =/= the pictures bad.
Odd. That shouldn't be happening.
Though Funi's 5.1 mixing at the time was terrible, and it's possible your sound setup isn't mixing down from 5.1 properly. Consumer 5.1 mixes are usually set up such that they should mix down to stereo fine, which should apply especially strongly here, given Funi's GT 5.1 mix is basically just a mono mix with fancy reverb applied to give a 5.1 illusion... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SSJmole wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 9:09 am Bit only seen first 5 so far but it's fun revisiting it as you appreciate it more as how bad it was when I saw Vs how bad the fandom make it out to be are so far apart you enjoy it more. At least so far
Honestly, the first 5 are very strong overall (well... 2 is pretty weak, actually). It's 7, 8, , and a handful of scenes from 12 and 13 that drag down the early run of GT for me. 2, 7, 8, and certain parts of 12 and 13 excepted, I love the first 15 episodes pretty much unreservedly. Fun adventures, beautiful animation and designs, wacky shenanigans... What's not to like? :)
SSJmole wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2019 2:11 pm Also the intro is much better than the rap. I like it. Though I was expecting this

That was the opening the UK and Canada got. If you watched the Blue Water dub, that's what you'd get. IMO, Blue Water's dub is far superior to Funi's, and I do love that intro. Despite some iffy castings, I do rather love that dub. Though the intro is not very accurately-translated, and it does cut the song down (which is somewhat ironic, given how much more accurate BW's GT scripts were than Funi's). Though on the plus side, unlike Funi's dubbed Dan Dan, it uses the original Japanese instrumental as its base.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Re: Dragon Ball GT complete series Madman DVD set questions and thoughts

Post by SSJmole » Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:17 am

Don't worry Robo4900 as you can see on my tweet https://twitter.com/ChrizAkaTheMole/sta ... 78880?s=19 back of box says TV special :lol:

I'd argue it wasn't a deus ex machina as they set up Goku getting it and what grand zeno could do so it wasn't out of no where as most deus ex machina tend to be.

Yeah on audio it's one of those.

So far on episode 15 got through 2 discs already , nephe loves , I'm enjoying too. As I said I prefer this dub to the other I got in UK. It goes like this :

Theme song = blue water
Voices = funination
Giru/Gil = blue water
Music = funination
Writing = funimation

But I respect everyone is different. So far though this good

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Sun Mar 31, 2019 2:50 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:25 pmAs with all the uncut DVDs, it's Mr. Satan, though I think Funi often called him Hercule Satan.
I think it's the second as we just watched episode 25 "baby's arrival" when he appears he calls himself Hercule , the crowd chant Hercule but a sign does call it "Satan City"

Yes we are that far as that's all my nephew wants to watch so most of day was watching gt lol

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:03 pm Thought Manga UK would have fixed the Dragon Ball GT's logo size but they left it as is. Lazy bums. :thumbdown:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13o81tpDVhQ

At least the disc content plays as it should.
I'm so glad Manga UK added trays to this set and didn't stack discs on top of one another like their green brick sets. Doing that to a release reeks of cheapness. Much like how they used slipcovers for the Super and movie Blu-Rays, definitely a step in the right direction. Yeah the logo still sucks, but it beats those who haven't bought GT yet having to import it, and hopefully if this set sells enough copies Manga UK will consider importing that TOEI HD remaster I'm confident is coming.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Apr 01, 2019 4:53 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:37 am
JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:03 pm Thought Manga UK would have fixed the Dragon Ball GT's logo size but they left it as is. Lazy bums. :thumbdown:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=13o81tpDVhQ

At least the disc content plays as it should.
I'm so glad Manga UK added trays to this set and didn't stack discs on top of one another like their green brick sets. Doing that to a release reeks of cheapness. Much like how they used slipcovers for the Super and movie Blu-Rays, definitely a step in the right direction. Yeah the logo still sucks, but it beats those who haven't bought GT yet having to import it, and hopefully if this set sells enough copies Manga UK will consider importing that TOEI HD remaster I'm confident is coming.

I love the trays in this and super and Kai. I hate dvds in sleeves like my Lou's and Clark dvd set. It's awkward and can scratch discs. The trays are great.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:39 pm

Update :

We finished season 1 , awesome set will watch season 2 tommorow onwards. Now an issue I have e is the cover. If you book that separate (I didn't) this is season 1

In the dual boxset the discs are still that as cover

Main menu heavily features ssj4 Goku too

The issue? He's only ssj4 like a 30 seconds at the end of the last disc.

Something like

Could be better imo. I understand it's an old cartoon but like my nephew watching not everyone has seen GT. Hell it bombed on TV so it's not even like Z where you can assume only fans will buy.

It's not a spoiler persay but it is false advertising.

That a side season one in set I say 8/10 , audio issue and covers menu hurt along with the "stay tuned for scenes in the next exciting Dragon Ball GT" ever episode WITH NO PREVIEWS ON DISC. Bugs me. That a side with USA audio it's great , looks good , love theme song , great voices , I actually liked GT despite issues last time but rewatching it I feel the issues wee slightly blown out of proportion. If you live in UK recommend picking them up.

Cost me £40 to get 2 seasons and a movie. That's a good price.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:47 pm

Honestly, £40 for the Lime Green Bricks is kind of a rip-off. You could've gotten it cheaper by buying it used which I assume it'd be in very good to excellent condition since it's a series not overly popular in Britain.

£24 at CeX for both "season" boxsets.

The original R1 GT Singles might be a pain to hunt them all down but could be worth it, it's the closest we have for an English Dragon Box GT. Too bad Madman didn't make a "Dragon Ball GT - Collection Part 1" and "Dragon Ball GT - Collection Part 2" with the R4 PAL GT Singles.

Here's an R4 DVD of the GT Singles:

R1's aren't exactly easy to find all sold in one go or for a decent price but I'm guessing the R4 are even harder, except for those who live in Australia (and maybe NZ).

I own the R1 GT Singles (Inc. TV Special) which you can see below (sorry about the low quality) but it wasn't easy at all back then, much less now, I'd say.

Those two custom GT black/orange covers were made by Eledoremassis2.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:51 am

SSJmole wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:39 pm Update :

We finished season 1 , awesome set will watch season 2 tommorow onwards. Now an issue I have e is the cover. If you book that separate (I didn't) this is season 1

In the dual boxset the discs are still that as cover

Main menu heavily features ssj4 Goku too

The issue? He's only ssj4 like a 30 seconds at the end of the last disc.

Something like

Could be better imo. I understand it's an old cartoon but like my nephew watching not everyone has seen GT. Hell it bombed on TV so it's not even like Z where you can assume only fans will buy.

It's not a spoiler persay but it is false advertising.
Cost me £40 to get 2 seasons and a movie. That's a good price.
I agree but I do think it's a spoiler for the few that don't know SS4 before watching GT. I do see why they do it, since SS4 'sells'. That alternate cover you posted is a whole lot better. I would add Pan and Trunks to it though.

Glad to see you're enjoying it. It's fun to read your thoughts.