Funniest/Worst FUNi Dragon Ball/Z dub lines

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Funniest/Worst FUNi Dragon Ball/Z dub lines

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 pm

This is mostly a humor based thread i thought of about some of the most hilarious and off the wall corny as well as flat out terrible lines from ye olden days of FUNimation's original DBZ dub with the Ocean cast, and some still to an even greater extent with the pre remastered in house dub and OG Dragon Ball dub. I figured this would be equal parts nostalgia (sort of) and a humerous warp back to the days before they really started putting more effort into being faithful to the original version.

Anyways, here are some of my personal favorites from both dubs that i feel take the cake as far as the badness level goes of FUNi's horribly inaccurate scripts.

Ocean

"This three eyed cowboy's going for ONE!!! LAST!!! RIDE!!!"

"Did you ever hear the story of David and Goliath"

"You just wait till your arm grows back"

"LOOK, I CAN SEE THEIR PARACHUTES"

"Too bad it's Sunday, those buildings would have been full tomorrow"

FUNi

"Don't piss off the God of Love"

"That's one whopper of a lizard"

"Ok big guy, whatever turns you on"

"That's right boys, mondo cool"

"POP GOES THE WEASEL!!!!"

"Careful Jeice, or you'll stain your gloves"

"I get lots of energy, and drink plenty of juice"

"THIS IS AMAZING!!! I FEEL INCREDIBLE!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! YES!!! I CAN WIN!!! I FEEL GREAT!!! I CAN DO THIS!!!"
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:39 pm, edited 5 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Funniest/Worst FUNi Dragon Ball/Z dub lines

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:19 pm

"Mondo cool"

Oh wait, that was already listed lol

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:26 pm

This line isn’t bad but it just had me laughing hard

In either the 22nd or 23rd tournament arc, two background characters were talking. It went something like this:

“Hey are you gonna get your official tournament t shirt?”

“I don’t wear shirts. They chafe my skin.”

It came out of nowhere and just found it really funny

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:28 pm

NewKakarot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:19 pm "Mondo cool"

Oh wait, that was already listed lol
Yep that line always gets me, as it was them inserting dated lingo in order to try and make the series seem all cool and hip which it really wasn't trying to be at all in the original.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:31 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:26 pm This line isn’t bad but it just had me laughing hard

In either the 22nd or 23rd tournament arc, two background characters were talking. It went something like this:

“Hey are you gonna get your official tournament t shirt?”

“I don’t wear shirts. They chafe my skin.”

It came out of nowhere and just found it really funny
Don't really remember that one too much, but then again it's been so long since i last watched the DB dub.

NewKakarot
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NewKakarot » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 pm

[Not sure if this was already in the Ocean dub or just the Funimation dub. Like 90% sure it wasn't in Japanese original]

DBZ Episode 18

Bulma: Oolong, you're such a coward! I'll bet you think taking a shower is dangerous

Oolong: It is unless you have those gritty little stickers on the bottom of the tub that keep you from slipping

Just cracks me up every time. One of those dub lines that I think actually works.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:48 pm

NewKakarot wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:38 pm [Not sure if this was already in the Ocean dub or just the Funimation dub. Like 90% sure it wasn't in Japanese original]

DBZ Episode 18

Bulma: Oolong, you're such a coward! I'll bet you think taking a shower is dangerous

Oolong: It is unless you have those gritty little stickers on the bottom of the tub that keep you from slipping

Just cracks me up every time. One of those dub lines that I think actually works.
Yeah i've heard this one before, and actually it's not too bad when compared to some of the ones i listed at the top.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:10 pm

One from the dub of Dragonball:

- Hey Goku, if Karin was in the Red Ribbon Army, what rank would he be?

Goku: I don't know, a general?

- No, a Colonel! Get it - Karin? (the joke is that his name sounds like 'corn').
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm

Hold on. I almost forgot. I NEVER transform unless some-body gives me a countdown.” -Funimation’s Freeza

You're certainly on the ball today, Captain Ginyu. If you were a dog, I'd scratch your belly. If you were a cat, I'd give you warm milk until you started to purr. But since you're neither of these, I'll just say thanks for a job well done.” -Funimation’s Freeza

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 pmthe ye olden days
It’s just “ye olden days” (pronounced the same as “the” by the way), a place-holder spelling for “þe olden days” when the letter Þ/þ (þorn/yorn/thorn) was unavailable. Eventually TH was decided to be used instead of Y.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:30 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pmHold on. I almost forgot. I NEVER transform unless some-body gives me a countdown.” -Funimation’s Freeza

You're certainly on the ball today, Captain Ginyu. If you were a dog, I'd scratch your belly. If you were a cat, I'd give you warm milk until you started to purr. But since you're neither of these, I'll just say thanks for a job well done.” -Funimation’s Freeza

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:15 pmthe ye olden days
It’s just “ye olden days” (pronounced the same as “the” by the way), a place-holder spelling for “þe olden days” when the letter Þ/þ (þorn/yorn/thorn) was unavailable. Eventually TH was decided to be used instead of Y.
Hahaha, that one is just so off the wall and makes Freeza seem a country mile removed from the way his character was in the original among most of his lines in the old dub. Linda Young's old lady type voice was definitely a miscast and i'm glad they got Chris Ayres to do Freeza in Kai and onward because i definitely prefer his take.

Thanks, i wasn't aware that's how you're really supposed to say it. Anyway, i fixed it in the top post.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm

"I hope you're both wearing clean underwear, because you're about to take a trip to the emergency ward!" - FUNiGinyu

...wait, what? What does the state of your underwear have to do with going to the ER!?

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 pm

"Oh excuse me has anyone seen my arm you can't miss it it's green"-

Justin Cook is just laughing like a maniac so it honestly makes me crack up

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:12 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm "I hope you're both wearing clean underwear, because you're about to take a trip to the emergency ward!" - FUNiGinyu

...wait, what? What does the state of your underwear have to do with going to the ER!?
"This will be as easy as coloring in the lines"

"Any last words before you go the way of the dodo"

"Sad..... FOR YOU!!!!!!"

Then of course there's this one.

"I have a proposition, i'd like to ask you in my native language"

"I'm listening"

(Freeza speaks random gibberish)

"That means let's get down to business"

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 pm

Blondiebear_17 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 pm "Oh excuse me has anyone seen my arm you can't miss it it's green"-

I know for certain that line was recycled from the 1996 dub, though i don't think the Ocean actor's take was quite as over the top with it as Cook's.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm

Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm ...wait, what? What does the state of your underwear have to do with going to the ER!?
It's a thing parents tell their kids when they go out, to make sure and wear clean underwear just in case they end up in the hospital to be worked on by the staff.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 pm
Blondiebear_17 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:05 pm "Oh excuse me has anyone seen my arm you can't miss it it's green"-

I know that line was recycled from the 1996 dub, though i don't think the Ocean actor's take was quite as over the top with it as Cook's.
That was Jason Gray-Stanford and he was great!
linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm It’s just “ye olden days” (pronounced the same as “the” by the way), a place-holder spelling for “þe olden days” when the letter Þ/þ (þorn/yorn/thorn) was unavailable. Eventually TH was decided to be used instead of Y.
Thorn, as in Samhain??

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:31 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm
Char Aznable wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm ...wait, what? What does the state of your underwear have to do with going to the ER!?
It's a thing parents tell their kids when they go out, to make sure and wear clean underwear just in case they end up in the hospital to be worked on by the staff.
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 pm

I know that line was recycled from the 1996 dub, though i don't think the Ocean actor's take was quite as over the top with it as Cook's.
That was Jason Gray-Stanford and he was great!
linkdude20002001 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:16 pm It’s just “ye olden days” (pronounced the same as “the” by the way), a place-holder spelling for “þe olden days” when the letter Þ/þ (þorn/yorn/thorn) was unavailable. Eventually TH was decided to be used instead of Y.
Thorn, as in Samhain??
I had forgotten his name because it's been so long since i watched the Ocean dub. But yeah, his voice for Raditz was definitely not quite as crazy sounding as Cook in either the Ultimate Uncut redub or later in Kai.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 pm

"I have ridden galactic slugs faster than this vehicle!" - Vegeta, on Bulma's airship to the 28th Tournament in the Buu arc

And of course Android 13 is the entire early FUNimation package in less than 30 seconds:

"I know, we should all just let bygones be bygones, but that ain't the way it's gonna be! I was programmed to kill your ass, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do! You hear?"

"Pitiful humans... war, discrimination, hatred, is that what you've done with your free will, boy? Don't you lecture me with your thirty dollar haircut Goku dies!"

Same here!
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:38 pm

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:34 pm "I have ridden galactic slugs faster than this vehicle!" - Vegeta, on Bulma's airship to the 28th Tournament in the Buu arc

And of course Android 13 is the entire early FUNimation package in less than 30 seconds:

"I know, we should all just let bygones be bygones, but that ain't the way it's gonna be! I was programmed to kill your ass, and that's exactly what I'm gonna do! You hear?"

"Pitiful humans... war, discrimination, hatred, is that what you've done with your free will, boy? Don't you lecture me with your thirty dollar haircut Goku dies!"

Same here!
Here's perhaps one of the most hilarious and baddest ones at least to me personally. This one always made me break down laughing as a child because it was just that ridiculous.

"Oh yeah i almost forgot.... KRILLIN'S IN DA HOOOOOUSE!!!!!!" :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:40 pm

Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:24 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:24 pm
My mother has never once said that to me and the only time I've ever heard it was from that weird line. If that's the case, that makes it even weirder.