What is the darkest arc in the original run?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: What is the darkest arc in the original run?

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:05 am

Gonna change my vote to the cell arc. From Krillins first death to cells death the series progressively got more serious to the point that there is little to no comedy outside mr satan. Imperfect cell and super buu are also the creepiest villains
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 pm

As much as I don't like the King Piccolo arc, that was truly Dragon Ball at it's bleakest:
- Krillin is murdered (And that's how the arc began)
- King Piccolo succeeds with his goal of restored youth
- Roshi dies in an failed attempt to seal King Piccolo with the Mafuba
- Goku dies fighting King Piccolo
- Chaozu is killed
- Shelong is killed
- King Piccolo rules the world, albeit quite briefly
- Tenshinhan fails in combat against King Piccolo's henchmen
- Yamcha is sidelined

If not for a gargantuan amount of plot armour for Goku, King Piccolo would have won.

The Saiyan arc is a VERY close second.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm

I agree, but I wish you hadn't brought up "plot armor". God I hate tvtropes.com
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:55 pm

ABED wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:51 pm I agree, but I wish you hadn't brought up "plot armor". God I hate tvtropes.com
I'm not familiar with tvtropes.com but what is the issue with using the term plot armor?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:10 pm

It's just a silly term. We get it, most of the time the main character isn't gonna bite it permanently, at least not until around the end. It's basic storytelling. We know Batman's rogues won't get the better of him, hence why they monologue instead of just putting a bullet in his head. However in the case of Goku against Piccolo, Toriyama did a good job of showing why Goku survived both encounters beyond "he has to because he's the main character".

I also don't like such a dumb term as "plot armor". It sounds silly. It's better than "ass pull" at least.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm

I'll have to re-read that portion of the manga. Even though I just did like...4 months ago. Anyway, I suppose I can understand the issue with the term. I've heard of TV Tropes but never looked at it. If it's a "one-stop-shop" for terms like that (which is the impression I get), I suppose yeah that could be annoying. It's like...fast food for literary terminology.

Anyway, thanks for the explanation.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:24 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm I'll have to re-read that portion of the manga. Even though I just did like...4 months ago. Anyway, I suppose I can understand the issue with the term. I've heard of TV Tropes but never looked at it. If it's a "one-stop-shop" for terms like that (which is the impression I get), I suppose yeah that could be annoying. It's like...fast food for literary terminology.

The problem is that many people read TV Tropes like they're an elitist site like "EHEEEEEHH, all your stories are fake and unoriginal and we know better let's destroy it alllll!!", but it's really not like that. I love TV Tropes because it gives me a much better understanding of the makeup of a work and what elements go into making it what it is.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:25 pm

Forte224 wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:14 pm I'll have to re-read that portion of the manga. Even though I just did like...4 months ago. Anyway, I suppose I can understand the issue with the term. I've heard of TV Tropes but never looked at it. If it's a "one-stop-shop" for terms like that (which is the impression I get), I suppose yeah that could be annoying. It's like...fast food for literary terminology.

It's not so much an exhaustive list as it is an exhausting list. Basically anything that has more than 2 examples is apparently a trope, and the names sound like they were written by high school juniors.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:50 pm As much as I don't like the King Piccolo arc, that was truly Dragon Ball at it's bleakest:
- Krillin is murdered (And that's how the arc began)
- King Piccolo succeeds with his goal of restored youth
- Roshi dies in an failed attempt to seal King Piccolo with the Mafuba
- Goku dies fighting King Piccolo
- Chaozu is killed
- Shelong is killed
- King Piccolo rules the world, albeit quite briefly
- Tenshinhan fails in combat against King Piccolo's henchmen
- Yamcha is sidelined

If not for a gargantuan amount of plot armour for Goku, King Piccolo would have won.

The Saiyan arc is a VERY close second.
Also another reason why King Piccolo is one of the most under rated villians. Usually when proeple ask best bad guy, its usually Freeza, Cell or Buu but never King Piccolo. Def one of the best villians the series had.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:30 am

1. Piccolo Daimaō arc
2. Imperfect Cell arc
3. Majin Boo arc

The Piccolo Daimaō arc actually made me a tad infuriated because that's something that could very well happen in real life and it has, but we just don't know about it specifically. I mean, he randomly picked a city to destroy and it mirrors actual reality.

Imperfect Cell arc is on second place due to the disturbing way that Cell absorbed people until there was nothing left but their clothes.

Majin Boo arc? Different events throughout the arc. Videl being beaten the shit out and everyone just spectating, Mr. Satan's and Boo's dog snipped, people turned into chocolate, etc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm Also another reason why King Piccolo is one of the most under rated villians. Usually when proeple ask best bad guy, its usually Freeza, Cell or Buu but never King Piccolo. Def one of the best villians the series had.
Hopefully that does change (IMO Daimao is the best "Z" arc since it uses a lot of its own tropes and ideas, as much as that can be applicable). I loved how in the Broly movie when they did the brief flashes of past villains, Daimao kicked off that list.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:23 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 am
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote: Thu Apr 11, 2019 11:02 pm Also another reason why King Piccolo is one of the most under rated villians. Usually when proeple ask best bad guy, its usually Freeza, Cell or Buu but never King Piccolo. Def one of the best villians the series had.
Hopefully that does change (IMO Daimao is the best "Z" arc since it uses a lot of its own tropes and ideas, as much as that can be applicable). I loved how in the Broly movie when they did the brief flashes of past villains, Daimao kicked off that list.
I don't understand the first sentence. Isn't Daimao from OG Dragon Ball? How can it be a ''Z'' arc?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:23 am
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 am
I don't understand the first sentence. Isn't Daimao from OG Dragon Ball? How can it be a ''Z'' arc?
I'm guessing that the poster meant it's DBZ like in its feel.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

ABED wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 9:35 am
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 am Hopefully that does change (IMO Daimao is the best "Z" arc since it uses a lot of its own tropes and ideas, as much as that can be applicable). I loved how in the Broly movie when they did the brief flashes of past villains, Daimao kicked off that list.
Way to name-drop me, ABED, haha.

Yes, that is what I meant. The Daimao arc introduced a LOT of tropes, story ideas and concepts that would define DBZ, so in many ways I consider it a Z arc, especially the fight at the end.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:34 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

Yes, that is what I meant. The Daimao arc introduced a LOT of tropes, story ideas and concepts that would define DBZ, so in many ways I consider it a Z arc, especially the fight at the end.
Oh, okay. I guess it was just lazy reading on my part.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:26 am

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:33 am

You mean I would have to look up who wrote the response and write down the name? That sounds like an awful lot of work. :D

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:57 am

ABED wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:26 am You mean I would have to look up who wrote the response and write down the name? That sounds like an awful lot of work. :D
There's a quote button like RIGHT THERE!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am

Androids cell Saga.

- It starts with trunks telling Goku is due of a heart attack
- the heartless machines that killed everyone
- imperfect cell kills do many. Frieza did too but they are alien it's not real or dark as cell killing all of that town
-cell brutalising Hogan as his dad watches and realises maybe kids should be doing this
- Gokus sacrifice
- the way vegeta turns super

There's more too but cell and androids for sure

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:31 pm

SSJmole wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 7:11 am Androids cell Saga.

- It starts with trunks telling Goku is due of a heart attack
- the heartless machines that killed everyone
- imperfect cell kills do many. Frieza did too but they are alien it's not real or dark as cell killing all of that town
-cell brutalising Hogan as his dad watches and realises maybe kids should be doing this
- Gokus sacrifice
- the way vegeta turns super

There's more too but cell and androids for sure
I agree. :clap:

Not to mention the music and general tone. But the arguments for the Piccolo arc here seem very compelling.