What is the darkest arc in the original run?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

What is the darkest arc in the original run?

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm

I haven't watch much of Super. So, in the original run (1986-1995), what do you think is the darkest arc in the series?

DragonBallKing
Regular

Re: What is the darkest arc in the original run?

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:55 pm

Probably Freeza, Wanting to rule over all life and attempting to eradicate an entire race is pretty hardcore. I think it may have the highest on screen death count as well.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:09 pm

I would say Daimao, most of which can be attributed to sheer contrast to the earlier arcs. It opens with Krillin being killed off-panel/screen (which is even worse in the anime), Goku becoming irreconsolably enraged for the first time, he fights Krillin's killer and loses BADLY, the entire cast thinks he's dead, Daimao goes on practically a world destruction spree in the anime lore filler, he kills Chiaotzu and is indirectly responsible for killing Roshi, HE KILLS SHENRON, he overthrows King Furry and literally takes over the world, blows up a huge chunk of the capital, blows up the ENTIRE CITY with imagery that is undeniably drawing upon Hiroshima, AND bloodily breaks three of Goku's limbs whilst crushing his friend's skull in. And Goku is TWELVE at the time!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:56 pm

For me it's probably Daimao, and then maybe Majin Boo.

Daimao not so much because of all the death, destruction, and brutality, but because of Piccolo himself being a demon who's looking to wipe out humanity and let evil flourish. It's the supernatural aspect of the arc that makes it so dark. The idea that he is evil incarnate and the way he conveys his hatred of human life really shapes the tone of the arc. And all of his demonic underlings are unsettling also, plus the way he gives birth to them. The character designs, music, and acting all contribute as well.

The Boo arc is pretty dark to me for similar reasons. The sinister foreboding surrounding Bobbidi's minions, and the sort of supernatural deadliness that they represent is disturbing. Plus the bleakness and hopelessness in the later half of the arc.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:33 pm

King Piccolo then a tossup between Saiyan and Frieza. All 3 had multiple deaths of major characters, and actual doubt that they could be revived.

I give it to King Piccolo because a lot of the deaths were shocking and brutal in a realistic way, and it was the 1st to have huge masses of death. Krillin dying had the perfect buildup and was sad, shocking, and unsettling. It's one of the only moments that had me feeling misty.

And the stuff were Piccolo takes over, releases convicts, and introduces "Piccolo day" to cause mass panic. Crazy times.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Apr 05, 2019 5:44 pm

I'd say a toss up between the Piccolo Daimao and Freeza arcs.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 pm

I would definitely go with the Piccolo Daimao arc. Toriyama said he wanted to try his hands at a really threatening villain. Hell, that could have been the end of the entire series if he wanted.

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:39 pm

I -- the OP -- would choose the Cell arc. It has definitely the most dark music and tone.

I will readily admit I havent watched the OG Dragon Ball in its entirety, however.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:07 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:56 pm The Boo arc is pretty dark to me for similar reasons. The sinister foreboding surrounding Bobbidi's minions, and the sort of supernatural deadliness that they represent is disturbing. Plus the bleakness and hopelessness in the later half of the arc.
Buu arc is definitely up there thanks to the mood whiplash that makes it feel truly unsettling at times. For example, there's the moment where Buu helps restore the eyesight of a blind boy through the kindness of his heart... and then blows up an entire city for laughs, killing millions. Or when he turns Chi-Chi into an egg and then steps on her, or turns 18 and her infant daughter into chocolate and eats them comedically. The Buu arc is FULL of that twisted stuff.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 am

Dunno, which arc took place at night the most often?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:02 am

KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:09 pm I would say Daimao, most of which can be attributed to sheer contrast to the earlier arcs. It opens with Krillin being killed off-panel/screen (which is even worse in the anime), Goku becoming irreconsolably enraged for the first time, he fights Krillin's killer and loses BADLY, the entire cast thinks he's dead, Daimao goes on practically a world destruction spree in the anime lore filler, he kills Chiaotzu and is indirectly responsible for killing Roshi, HE KILLS SHENRON, he overthrows King Furry and literally takes over the world, blows up a huge chunk of the capital, blows up the ENTIRE CITY with imagery that is undeniably drawing upon Hiroshima, AND bloodily breaks three of Goku's limbs whilst crushing his friend's skull in. And Goku is TWELVE at the time!
Goku was 15 in the King Piccolo arc.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:45 am

Dbzfan94 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 1:02 am
KBABZ wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:09 pm I would say Daimao, most of which can be attributed to sheer contrast to the earlier arcs. It opens with Krillin being killed off-panel/screen (which is even worse in the anime), Goku becoming irreconsolably enraged for the first time, he fights Krillin's killer and loses BADLY, the entire cast thinks he's dead, Daimao goes on practically a world destruction spree in the anime lore filler, he kills Chiaotzu and is indirectly responsible for killing Roshi, HE KILLS SHENRON, he overthrows King Furry and literally takes over the world, blows up a huge chunk of the capital, blows up the ENTIRE CITY with imagery that is undeniably drawing upon Hiroshima, AND bloodily breaks three of Goku's limbs whilst crushing his friend's skull in. And Goku is TWELVE at the time!
Goku was 15 in the King Piccolo arc.
FIFTEEN at the time!

Paulo Gabriel
Banned

Post by Paulo Gabriel » Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:07 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 am Dunno, which arc took place at night the most often?
:problem:

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 4:03 am

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:25 am Dunno, which arc took place at night the most often?
Well that'd be the Namek arc, obviously.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:00 am

Paulo Gabriel wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 3:50 pm I haven't watch much of Super. So, in the original run (1986-1995), what do you think is the darkest arc in the series?
*1986-1997

It's either Frieza or King Piccolo saga. Can't see other possibilites.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:36 am

I think a distinction ought to be drawn between "dark" and "dramatic". For instance, the saiyan arc was a fairly brutal adjustment against DB for the number of character deaths, but would I call it "dark"? I don't think so. It still maintains many notes of heroic optimism. The Frieza arc, meanwhile, has a very oppressive mood to it, especially once Frieza himself gets involved.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pm

The Saiyan arc, by far. There's no comedy at all (bar maybe Kaio's antics), the main character has to face the awful truth of his heritage, the cast is slaughtered one by one, moments of heroism are constantly subverted and turned into pointless wastes of life, and for most of the arc the heroes are powerless against the sadistic and brutal villains who are essentially torturing them to death in front of their friends who are helpless to do anything about it. By the time the arc ends half of the cast is dead and the main villain is still at large, swearing to come back stronger and more determined. It's particularly effective paired with the fairly light-hearted arc that preceded it. It's telling that rather than ending in triumph, the last shot of the final battle is the four remaining heroes lying on the floor in a pool of their own blood, unable to move under their own power, having just survived the onslaught.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Sat Apr 06, 2019 6:22 pm

Definitely the Daimao arc like compared to the previous arc, it got really dark.
Mostly active on discord.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 06, 2019 8:58 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pmIt's particularly effective paired with the fairly light-hearted arc that preceded it.
Excuse me?? You mean the 23rd TB arc??

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:13 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:37 pm The Saiyan arc, by far. There's no comedy at all (bar maybe Kaio's antics), the main character has to face the awful truth of his heritage, the cast is slaughtered one by one, moments of heroism are constantly subverted and turned into pointless wastes of life, and for most of the arc the heroes are powerless against the sadistic and brutal villains who are essentially torturing them to death in front of their friends who are helpless to do anything about it. By the time the arc ends half of the cast is dead and the main villain is still at large, swearing to come back stronger and more determined. It's particularly effective paired with the fairly light-hearted arc that preceded it. It's telling that rather than ending in triumph, the last shot of the final battle is the four remaining heroes lying on the floor in a pool of their own blood, unable to move under their own power, having just survived the onslaught.
The four heroes aren't lying on the floor in their own blood. They are triumphant. Vegeta didn't get away. The heroes let him leave. It's certainly one of the darkest arcs, but it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. Gohan isn't unable to move because he's battered. Gohan is tired after having transformed and changed back. The only one who can't move of his own volition is Goku.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.