Dragon Ball Z still airs on Japanese TV, doesn't it?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Dragon Ball Z still airs on Japanese TV, doesn't it?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm

I noticed on a capture that I watched (would say it's relatively new since it had SDBH trailers), it showed the NEP before the ED but on home releases the standard is ED and then the NEP. So, does Japan have different rules for Broadcast and Home Media Releases?

I sure wish it was NEP > ED on home media, too.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z still airs on Japanese TV, doesn't it?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:16 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:10 pm I noticed on a capture that I watched (would say it's relatively new since it had SDBH trailers), it showed the NEP before the ED but on home releases the standard is ED and then the NEP. So, does Japan have different rules for Broadcast and Home Media Releases?

I sure wish it was NEP > ED on home media, too.
I had heard that the reason for that switch is due to the time Toei in which got to remastering the series for the Dragon Boxes when the standard had changed, because by that point in time most of theirs and others newer series had switched to that thing of showing the NEP after the end credits so they did it to not only all three of the original series but most if not all of their various anime shows going back to the '70s or even the '60s.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:02 pm

What quality does DBZ air on in Japan? Dragon Boxes?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm

Original Dragon Ball is the DBox master. Dragon Ball GT is the DBox master with broadcast audio slapped on. Dragon Ball Z (Father of Goku aside) uses the old 1" rerun broadcast tapes. You see more image on the sides, but the quality is somewhat worse (though still better than the likes of Funi's Season Sets) and there isn't really any clean up at all, which means visible dirt and tape marks. One noticeable difference from the newer transfers is that the first few episodes, as well as like 200 and 201, each have slightly different versions of their respective OPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlyXOlsDcgQ
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:00 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm Original Dragon Ball is the DBox master. Dragon Ball GT is the DBox master with broadcast audio slapped on. Dragon Ball Z (Father of Goku aside) uses the old 1" rerun broadcast tapes. You see more image on the sides, but the quality is somewhat worse (though still better than the likes of Funi's Season Sets) and there isn't really any clean up at all, which means visible dirt and tape marks. One noticeable difference from the newer transfers is that the first few episodes, as well as like 200 and 201, each have slightly different versions of their respective OPs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlyXOlsDcgQ
So these tapes are essentially a second generation from the 16mm tapes?

Conquester

Post by Conquester » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm Original Dragon Ball is the DBox master. Dragon Ball GT is the DBox master with broadcast audio slapped on.
Actually, they're the raw material for the Dragon Box. The broadcasts contain all the dirt, grain and glue marks. They're pretty awesome as they don't have the noise reduction like the actual Box release recieved.
Teaching a dragon to balance atop a ball.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 pm

When I talk about 1" tape, I'm (most likely) referring to this. It's a standard definition format, and I'm pretty sure the transfers in question predate Funi's digibeta masters, let alone the Dragon Box master.
Conquester wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm
Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm Original Dragon Ball is the DBox master. Dragon Ball GT is the DBox master with broadcast audio slapped on.
Actually, they're the raw material for the Dragon Box. The broadcasts contain all the dirt, grain and glue marks. They're pretty awesome as they don't have the noise reduction like the actual Box release recieved.
This is the first I've heard of it! For GT in particular, is it like a higher bitrate version of the Funi single footage?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:56 am

Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 pm When I talk about 1" tape, I'm (most likely) referring to this. It's a standard definition format, and I'm pretty sure the transfers in question predate Funi's digibeta masters, let alone the Dragon Box master.
Correct.

Though, we actually don't know what kind of tapes this transfers were done on.

So as to avoid misinformation, here's the situation:

TV stations were given 16mm prints of the same generation as Funi's, back in the '80s/'90s when the show was running. For Z, Fuji transferred all their 16mm film to standard-def tape sometime in the '90s or '00s, and then sold off their film. Since then, they've aired all of Z from this standard-def tape master.
Danfun64 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:12 pm
Conquester wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:42 pm
This is the first I've heard of it! For GT in particular, is it like a higher bitrate version of the Funi single footage?
So, to clarify...

DB and GT on Japanese TV are just like Funi's DVD singles of GT; Dragon Box transfer, but before cleanup. Shouldn't have all the problems Funi's singles had, but they have TV logos, and scenes of flashing have had filters put on to reduce that (Electric Soldier Porygon controversy).

Since the TV stations had D2 videotape of all of GT in the '90s, instead of getting film like they did for Z, they have the original master audio of GT in stereo from those tapes, so when Toei sent them the proto-DBox masters, Fuji (and/or Animax) seem to have synced up the D2 tape audio to the proto-DBox footage. That's what airs on Japanese TV.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Conquester

Post by Conquester » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:53 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Since the TV stations had D2 videotape of all of GT in the '90s, instead of getting film like they did for Z, they have the original master audio of GT in stereo from those tapes, so when Toei sent them the proto-DBox masters, Fuji (and/or Animax) seem to have synced up the D2 tape audio to the proto-DBox footage. That's what airs on Japanese TV.
Though, as expected, they did a half-assed job at it. They synced the episode audio to it but instead of also syncing the OP/ED music, they left the irritating, distorted, crackly Dragon Box audio intact.

Also.. they didn't seem to care that the preview for episode 42 was located on the tape containing the GT special, so they just left that particular one with the optical audio, despite being broadcast correctly back before 2006 when the japanese TV channels still used the old video tapes for the broadcast.
Teaching a dragon to balance atop a ball.