Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 am
So, I've gone ahead and compiled images of every US release of Dragon Ball Z for comparison purposes. I'm using the "raw" and 30th anniversary images from the link provided earlier, as references.

Now, for the Pioneer singles and the Rock the Dragon set, that particular scene did not exist; it was cut out. So I used the closest scene to it, which should reflect their color choices. Also, the orange brick screen was condensed to be 4:3 automatically when I took the screencap, so I artificially extended it to look as it was intended (in widescreen).

Hope you guys enjoy.
On a side note -- I never really understood the hate for the Blu-ray season sets (outside of the obvious cropping)... until now. They are super, duper bright.
I think this just shows that the Level Sets were the perfect release from Funi's masters and copies. Why Funi can't continue releasing Blu-Rays with the quality of the Level Sets? The world may never know.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am

I mean, I'm sure it's a lengthy and expensive process to hire a professional crew to sit there and fix the footage frame by frame. Yes, that's the ideal thing, but is it a realistic expectation? I don't know. I'm sure the 30th anniversary set will be just fine. Their biggest mistake? Releasing the Level Sets to begin with. The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger. It's better than some frozen, squishy thawed fast food burger, but it can't compare to the steak that was the Level Sets.

Again, we'll see what it is when I have it in my hands and am able to put it against the other releases. I have no doubts that it might not be on the level of the Level Sets (no pun intended), but being the second best release? That's fully possible. And honestly, for the price, that's not a bad thing to hang its hat on. Of course I'd love if they just took their film -- rounded edges and all -- and threw it on Blu-ray as-is, but it is what it is. I'm reserving judgment until I can see it for myself because I'm still holding out the idea that the online video might've diminished the video a bit.

sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am

TheGreatness25 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am
The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger.
What am I reading here? No, it's like a cold Mc Donalds burger I wouldn't eat even if I got paid to.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 am

sangofe wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am
TheGreatness25 wrote:
Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am
The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger.
What am I reading here? No, it's like a cold Mc Donalds burger I wouldn't eat even if I got paid to.
It's just barely marginally better than the Season BD's for not being cropped to fake widescreen, but otherwise there's really no noticeable improvement beyond that.