Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm

kyppk wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm
BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:17 am Don't have any comparing all but did make this one against the JPN Dragon Box when I was looking at the Buu era episodes. It is a shame the Dragon Box fell in quality (for me) during most of the Buu episodes. Strong green tint and overblown highlights, where I actually preferred the look of the 30th BD set here funny enough (outside the "remastering" they did): http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/992C1NNU
Yeah, despite all the deserved hell we give the 30th, there are some scenes and frames that do look better than previous releases.
I will admit, the colors in that particular shot look pretty good to my eye
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm

This may be a strange comparison, but i've been rewatching Super and I noticed that when they flashback to past events, they'll just use old footage, be it cropped to fit the 16:9 ratio Super is made it obviously. A certain flashback caught my eye.

In episode 86 when Dende first tells Goku about Oob, and how he's the reincarnation of Majin Buu, they cut away to a flashback showing old footage of Goku killing Buu. But even looking past the light sepia-tone filter they put on top, it actually doesn't look as gross as Kai TFC. By looking at it, the line work seems to look sharper and less smudgy. Take a gander for yourself.

View here if you want --> https://imgur.com/gallery/qu0aLtm
I have no clue how this specific variation of the footage came in. I doubt Toei would just bust out their actual film print of the episode just to scan a few seconds for a one-time flashback. Perhaps this is the TFC footage Pre-""Remaster""?

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?
They are! Well, not your eyes, but the picture itself. The lines all have ringing artifacts, which are bright halos around edges of high contrast that trick you into thinking the image is sharper than it actually is. The edge halos are the same thing TVs use to artificially sharpen the image beyond what it's intended to be.

I'd provide a comparison I made, but imgur is down atm, so for now I'll just say that you can zoom in on Goku's eyes and see it very obviously.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 am

KBABZ wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?
They are! Well, not your eyes, but the picture itself. The lines all have ringing artifacts, which are bright halos around edges of high contrast that trick you into thinking the image is sharper than it actually is. The edge halos are the same thing TVs use to artificially sharpen the image beyond what it's intended to be.

I'd provide a comparison I made, but imgur is down atm, so for now I'll just say that you can zoom in on Goku's eyes and see it very obviously.
Thought so. If you're seeing ringing, likely what's going on here is that Toei used the Blu-ray version of Kai 2.0, which is the Japanese cut, and has horrendous sharpening on top.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am

Robo4900 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 am Thought so. If you're seeing ringing, likely what's going on here is that Toei used the Blu-ray version of Kai 2.0, which is the Japanese cut, and has horrendous sharpening on top.
Might explain the sepia tint too! :lol:

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Geez, that DBS Flashback shot. :eh: Got a shot from the 30th BD set if anyone was curious about it here:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:44 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm Geez, that DBS Flashback shot. :eh: Got a shot from the 30th BD set if anyone was curious about it here:

Looks so nice to have Goku not look ghostly pale due to blown out colors :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm

KBABZ wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am
Robo4900 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 am Thought so. If you're seeing ringing, likely what's going on here is that Toei used the Blu-ray version of Kai 2.0, which is the Japanese cut, and has horrendous sharpening on top.
Those colors are clearly intentional. Even Kai 1.0 had some flashbacks with a sepia tint.

But all of that aside, that shot to me looks better in Kai than the Dragon Box, which is just too soft with overly dark colors comparatively. Of course TFC has various color issues, but I think it's overall better looking, especially compared to the overly bright, green tinted episodes in the Dragon Box. (but in both those and the Dragon Box shots, I see clear examples of additional DNR and compression, so it's not a good comparison)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm
KBABZ wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am
Those colors are clearly intentional. Even Kai 1.0 had some flashbacks with a sepia tint.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Anyway, here are unaltered screenshots from the Dragon Box and the DVD of Kai TFC:

Dragon Box:

Kai:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 am

Recently saw that the Level Set 1.1 disk 2 had some Namek and Android saga shots in an interview, so I grabbed some of the Android frames from the interview and found the corresponding 30th.

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9FCMFNNU

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am

So I've got my first set of movies on Blu Ray coming in the mail (Super Android 13/Bojack Unbound). I'd love to do comparisons on them because compared to the shows, you barley ever see any comparisons on those releases.

Anyways, in the meantime, let's compare the openings and closings across the various home releases of Dragon Ball Z:
Opening 1:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2BFNNU
Opening 2:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLWNNX
Closing 1:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2B1NNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLGNNX
Closing 2:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2BMNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLPNNX

*I used Ultimate Sacrifice for the UUE, Namek's End and Vegeta's Plea for the single DVD's, seasons 3 and 8 for the Orange Bricks, and volumes 3 and 5 for the Dragon Boxes. Also, while this has nothing to do with image quality, but if you're looking to rip or source the Japanese songs for these openings and closings, the Orange Bricks for every song seem to be a lot more muffled than any other release.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 12:21 pm

I used that shot of Goku that was posted earlier. Didn't realize how annoying it would be to use that (had to capture it after Goku's mouth closes the first time after he starts talking, or else there's auras and whatnot).

Anyway, here's one of all of them together:

https://imgur.com/LVGyKsF
https://i.imgur.com/LVGyKsF.jpg (full size)

Never realized Imgur uses jpg... Blah.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:46 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:24 am So I've got my first set of movies on Blu Ray coming in the mail (Super Android 13/Bojack Unbound). I'd love to do comparisons on them because compared to the shows, you barley ever see any comparisons on those releases.

Anyways, in the meantime, let's compare the openings and closings across the various home releases of Dragon Ball Z:
Opening 1:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2BFNNU
Opening 2:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLWNNX
Closing 1:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2B1NNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLGNNX
Closing 2:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9E2BMNNU
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7GPLPNNX

*I used Ultimate Sacrifice for the UUE, Namek's End and Vegeta's Plea for the single DVD's, seasons 3 and 8 for the Orange Bricks, and volumes 3 and 5 for the Dragon Boxes. Also, while this has nothing to do with image quality, but if you're looking to rip or source the Japanese songs for these openings and closings, the Orange Bricks for every song seem to be a lot more muffled than any other release.
Is it me or do the UUE and the Level Sets have really similar colors? I like how it looks a little more subdued compared to the Orange Bricks that look like they cranked the contract dial all the way up. Can't really describe the feeling.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:52 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 5:46 pm
Is it me or do the UUE and the Level Sets have really similar colors? I like how it looks a little more subdued compared to the Orange Bricks that look like they cranked the contract dial all the way up. Can't really describe the feeling.
The UUE episodes were actually pretty good transfers. A bit saturated in some episodes, but otherwise great. I think the earlier singles had better colors for the opening and show itself, but the closing looks a lot better on UUE. It always bothered me that because how terrible the OB's were but still managed to sell well, that means they could have just used the same scans as the singles and repackaged them in seasons at a higher bitrate and no one would have mined. Hell, that's what they did with the Blue Bricks.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:10 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:52 pm
The UUE episodes were actually pretty good transfers. A bit saturated in some episodes, but otherwise great. I think the earlier singles had better colors for the opening and show itself, but the closing looks a lot better on UUE. It always bothered me that because how terrible the OB's were but still managed to sell well, that means they could have just used the same scans as the singles and repackaged them in seasons at a higher bitrate and no one would have mined. Hell, that's what they did with the Blue Bricks.
They really should've just done this, i'd have been ok with the Orange Bricks if that had been what was put on them rather than than the cropped oversaturated and smeared mess that was.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:10 pm
They really should've just done this, i'd have been ok with the Orange Bricks if that had been what was put on them rather than than the cropped oversaturated and smeared mess that was.
I really wish they down the line they fixed the Orange Bricks, after the Blue Bricks were released, do the exact same remaster as that release (the same type of DNR i.e. the one that doesn't remove the outlines, 4:3, no alterations to the color) and have all three shows be consistent across the "Bricks" line. I would have gladly sacrificed Japanese title cards for that, since the OB's had them but not the BB's for some reason. Imagine a world with 4:3 DBZ with great color, all three audio choices, at a great price, with no sharpening artifacts, right down at your local store. Still would have preferred no DNR, but that's a very realistic dream we sadly never got.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 pm

KPike87 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 9:00 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:10 pm

I really wish they down the line they fixed the Orange Bricks, after the Blue Bricks were released, do the exact same remaster as that release (the same type of DNR i.e. the one that doesn't remove the outlines, 4:3, no alterations to the color) and have all three shows be consistent across the "Bricks" line. I would have gladly sacrificed Japanese title cards for that, since the OB's had them but not the BB's for some reason. Imagine a world with 4:3 DBZ with great color, all three audio choices, at a great price, with no sharpening artifacts, right down at your local store. Still would have preferred no DNR, but that's a very realistic dream we sadly never got.
So true, because they had gotten their act together and greatly toned down/improved the noise reduction process by the time the Blue Bricks for OG DB came out as they look much better. It really makes me wish that FUNi had gone back later and done a corrected run that fixed all of these things and undone the fake widescreen because Z is the odd man out as DB and GT were left in the proper 4:3 for their respective season releases, mostly owing to the digibeta tape masters the episodes are sourced from so as a result not nearly as awful looking as the Orange Bricks especially the first few.

Still though, the OB's being repackages of the singles would've been a good alternative for a cheap 4:3 release of DBZ on DVD if the Dragon Boxes hadn't gotten released here.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:48 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 pm
So true, because they had gotten their act together and greatly toned down/improved the noise reduction process by the time the Blue Bricks for OG DB came out as they look much better. It really makes me wish that FUNi had gone back later and done a corrected run that fixed all of these things and undone the fake widescreen because Z is the odd man out as DB and GT were left in the proper 4:3 for their respective season releases, mostly owing to the digibeta tape masters the episodes are sourced from so as a result not nearly as awful looking as the Orange Bricks especially the first few.

Still though, the OB's being repackages of the singles would've been a good alternative for a cheap 4:3 release of DBZ on DVD if the Dragon Boxes hadn't gotten released here.
Hell, even if the Dragon Boxes were released here but got to being as expensive as they are now, I'd say the OB's would be the way to go. Then again, the only reason they're all 200+ dollars each is because it's the only reasonable full or close to full release.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 3:31 pm

KPike87 wrote: Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:48 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:10 pm

Hell, even if the Dragon Boxes were released here but got to being as expensive as they are now, I'd say the OB's would be the way to go. Then again, the only reason they're all 200+ dollars each is because it's the only reasonable full or close to full release.
Yes, it's just too bad that the Orange Bricks are as awful as they are between the fake widescreen, oversaturation and smeared to oblivion picture.