Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond Newbie

Re: Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:56 pm

kyppk wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 3:32 pm
BluezaBladeNZ wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 1:17 am
Don't have any comparing all but did make this one against the JPN Dragon Box when I was looking at the Buu era episodes. It is a shame the Dragon Box fell in quality (for me) during most of the Buu episodes. Strong green tint and overblown highlights, where I actually preferred the look of the 30th BD set here funny enough (outside the "remastering" they did): http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/992C1NNU
Yeah, despite all the deserved hell we give the 30th, there are some scenes and frames that do look better than previous releases.
I will admit, the colors in that particular shot look pretty good to my eye
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,
  • Preferred viewing order = DB ---> Kai ---> Super + Relevant movies (DB subbed, all others dubbed)
  • Favorite Arcs = Red Ribbon Army, Saiyan Arc, Frieza Arc, 23rd Budoukai, Piccolo Daimao
  • Favorite Characters Besides Goku/Vegeta = General Blue, Pilaf Gang, Crane Hermit, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Frieza, Ginyu Force, Tournament Announcer, Lunch, Broly, and Piccolo

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm

This may be a strange comparison, but i've been rewatching Super and I noticed that when they flashback to past events, they'll just use old footage, be it cropped to fit the 16:9 ratio Super is made it obviously. A certain flashback caught my eye.

In episode 86 when Dende first tells Goku about Oob, and how he's the reincarnation of Majin Buu, they cut away to a flashback showing old footage of Goku killing Buu. But even looking past the light sepia-tone filter they put on top, it actually doesn't look as gross as Kai TFC. By looking at it, the line work seems to look sharper and less smudgy. Take a gander for yourself.

View here if you want --> https://imgur.com/gallery/qu0aLtm
I have no clue how this specific variation of the footage came in. I doubt Toei would just bust out their actual film print of the episode just to scan a few seconds for a one-time flashback. Perhaps this is the TFC footage Pre-""Remaster""?

Maybe my eyes are playing tricks on me?
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,
  • Preferred viewing order = DB ---> Kai ---> Super + Relevant movies (DB subbed, all others dubbed)
  • Favorite Arcs = Red Ribbon Army, Saiyan Arc, Frieza Arc, 23rd Budoukai, Piccolo Daimao
  • Favorite Characters Besides Goku/Vegeta = General Blue, Pilaf Gang, Crane Hermit, Bulma, Yamcha, Krillin, Frieza, Ginyu Force, Tournament Announcer, Lunch, Broly, and Piccolo

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm

ArmenianPepsi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
They are! Well, not your eyes, but the picture itself. The lines all have ringing artifacts, which are bright halos around edges of high contrast that trick you into thinking the image is sharper than it actually is. The edge halos are the same thing TVs use to artificially sharpen the image beyond what it's intended to be.

I'd provide a comparison I made, but imgur is down atm, so for now I'll just say that you can zoom in on Goku's eyes and see it very obviously.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 am

KBABZ wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:09 pm
ArmenianPepsi wrote:
Mon Aug 03, 2020 7:15 pm
They are! Well, not your eyes, but the picture itself. The lines all have ringing artifacts, which are bright halos around edges of high contrast that trick you into thinking the image is sharper than it actually is. The edge halos are the same thing TVs use to artificially sharpen the image beyond what it's intended to be.

I'd provide a comparison I made, but imgur is down atm, so for now I'll just say that you can zoom in on Goku's eyes and see it very obviously.
Thought so. If you're seeing ringing, likely what's going on here is that Toei used the Blu-ray version of Kai 2.0, which is the Japanese cut, and has horrendous sharpening on top.
Dragon Ball is a goofy kids cartoon from a long time ago. You take it too seriously at your own peril.
Debate the plot, characters, adaptations, dubs, etc., criticise the home video, but never lose sight of the fact that it's all just entertainment. You're supposed to enjoy it. If you're not enjoying it, just walk away.

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:01 am
Thought so. If you're seeing ringing, likely what's going on here is that Toei used the Blu-ray version of Kai 2.0, which is the Japanese cut, and has horrendous sharpening on top.
Might explain the sepia tint too! :lol:

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm

Geez, that DBS Flashback shot. :eh: Got a shot from the 30th BD set if anyone was curious about it here:

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:44 pm

BluezaBladeNZ wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:38 pm
Geez, that DBS Flashback shot. :eh: Got a shot from the 30th BD set if anyone was curious about it here:

Looks so nice to have Goku not look ghostly pale due to blown out colors :lol:

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Those colors are clearly intentional. Even Kai 1.0 had some flashbacks with a sepia tint.

But all of that aside, that shot to me looks better in Kai than the Dragon Box, which is just too soft with overly dark colors comparatively. Of course TFC has various color issues, but I think it's overall better looking, especially compared to the overly bright, green tinted episodes in the Dragon Box. (but in both those and the Dragon Box shots, I see clear examples of additional DNR and compression, so it's not a good comparison)
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

KBABZ
I Live Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:20 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:07 pm
KBABZ wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 9:11 am
Robo4900 wrote:
Those colors are clearly intentional. Even Kai 1.0 had some flashbacks with a sepia tint.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Aug 04, 2020 10:51 pm

Anyway, here are unaltered screenshots from the Dragon Box and the DVD of Kai TFC:

Dragon Box:

Kai:
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

kyppk

Post by kyppk » Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:52 am

Recently saw that the Level Set 1.1 disk 2 had some Namek and Android saga shots in an interview, so I grabbed some of the Android frames from the interview and found the corresponding 30th.

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9FCMFNNU