Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Re: Comparison shots from every single DBZ release

Post by superfan2024 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:18 am So, I've gone ahead and compiled images of every US release of Dragon Ball Z for comparison purposes. I'm using the "raw" and 30th anniversary images from the link provided earlier, as references.

Now, for the Pioneer singles and the Rock the Dragon set, that particular scene did not exist; it was cut out. So I used the closest scene to it, which should reflect their color choices. Also, the orange brick screen was condensed to be 4:3 automatically when I took the screencap, so I artificially extended it to look as it was intended (in widescreen).

Hope you guys enjoy.
On a side note -- I never really understood the hate for the Blu-ray season sets (outside of the obvious cropping)... until now. They are super, duper bright.
I think this just shows that the Level Sets were the perfect release from Funi's masters and copies. Why Funi can't continue releasing Blu-Rays with the quality of the Level Sets? The world may never know.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am

I mean, I'm sure it's a lengthy and expensive process to hire a professional crew to sit there and fix the footage frame by frame. Yes, that's the ideal thing, but is it a realistic expectation? I don't know. I'm sure the 30th anniversary set will be just fine. Their biggest mistake? Releasing the Level Sets to begin with. The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger. It's better than some frozen, squishy thawed fast food burger, but it can't compare to the steak that was the Level Sets.

Again, we'll see what it is when I have it in my hands and am able to put it against the other releases. I have no doubts that it might not be on the level of the Level Sets (no pun intended), but being the second best release? That's fully possible. And honestly, for the price, that's not a bad thing to hang its hat on. Of course I'd love if they just took their film -- rounded edges and all -- and threw it on Blu-ray as-is, but it is what it is. I'm reserving judgment until I can see it for myself because I'm still holding out the idea that the online video might've diminished the video a bit.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger.
What am I reading here? No, it's like a cold Mc Donalds burger I wouldn't eat even if I got paid to.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:56 am

sangofe wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:53 am
TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am The 30th anniversary set is like a good, gourmet burger.
What am I reading here? No, it's like a cold Mc Donalds burger I wouldn't eat even if I got paid to.
It's just barely marginally better than the Season BD's for not being cropped to fake widescreen, but otherwise there's really no noticeable improvement beyond that.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm

Can anyone post a frame compare of the 30th vs the Dragon Box around the Cell and Buu arcs. Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum is spreading nonsense and needs to be shut down. Stating that compared to the DBox "the 30th is without question the superior release". I can't for the life of me talk sense into this guy, and no longer own the 30th set to do my own comparisons.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:54 am

Tylerman29 wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 1:48 pm Can anyone post a frame compare of the 30th vs the Dragon Box around the Cell and Buu arcs. Someone on the Blu-ray.com forum is spreading nonsense and needs to be shut down. Stating that compared to the DBox "the 30th is without question the superior release". I can't for the life of me talk sense into this guy, and no longer own the 30th set to do my own comparisons.
I don't own the DBOX sets myself, so I tried using a couple different sources for them. If anyone has access to the DBOX and wants to get the shot then it's episode 269 at around 3m 21s.

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/7KKP7NNX
Edit: Adding another source called DBOX3, given that it's 1.3-1.4gb per episode I believe it's an unaltered rip.

My methodology was to play the source on my 1080 monitor, pause and frame-by-frame the video until it looked like I got the frame (my software doesn't do a frame counter for some reason), print screen the monitor, and save as a png.

If I did something wrong in the process I'd like to know since I'm new to these sorts of comparisons.

If I've done an accurate comparison I can do some other episodes.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am

Looks okay to my very untrained eye. Swapping between options 3 and 4, you can see that a lot of the rocky detailing shrinks under Funi's DNR process, such as above Vegito's screen-right shoulder.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:04 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 8:44 am I mean, I'm sure it's a lengthy and expensive process to hire a professional crew to sit there and fix the footage frame by frame. Yes, that's the ideal thing, but is it a realistic expectation? I don't know.
I mean, clearly it is a realistic expectation, because they literally did that for the Season BDs, and that same remaster was what we got on the 30th sets. They just ruined all that work by putting an over-aggressive DNR+sharpen filter on top that makes all the hard work look like dogshit, and the Season BDs had cropping on top of that.
superfan2024 wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 1:35 pm I think this just shows that the Level Sets were the perfect release from Funi's masters and copies. Why Funi can't continue releasing Blu-Rays with the quality of the Level Sets? The world may never know.
Likely it's because they realised there was a big enough market for HD Dragon Ball that they wanted to put out a mass market release rather than the hardcore fan/collector-orientated Levels, and then the guys behind the Orange Bricks got more heavily involved as a result, and insisted on the shitty widescreen, grain-scrubbed presentation (they do honestly believe it improves the picture, apparently).
KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am Looks okay to my very untrained eye. Swapping between options 3 and 4, you can see that a lot of the rocky detailing shrinks under Funi's DNR process, such as above Vegito's screen-right shoulder.
If you ask me, it looks like shit. The background looks nothing like it should look like, and Vegetto himself looks so oversharpened, he's ugly as fuck... Looks like a shitty AI upscale or something.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jul 18, 2020 2:11 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:04 pm
KBABZ wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:53 am Looks okay to my very untrained eye. Swapping between options 3 and 4, you can see that a lot of the rocky detailing shrinks under Funi's DNR process, such as above Vegito's screen-right shoulder.
If you ask me, it looks like shit. The background looks nothing like it should look like, and Vegetto himself looks so oversharpened, he's ugly as fuck... Looks like a shitty AI upscale or something.
I was referring to Option 3, not 4!

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:04 am

Got some more shots in Namek, just gonna stick with my DBOX3 source only since it's 1 frame I need to get instead of 3 and seems to be the raw episode anyway.

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9FFCMNNU part 1

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/7KWLLNNX part 2

I've got some shots of the cell games and one more buu saga shot I'll put together later.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:43 am

I don't have very much overlap with episode home releases, but I definitely have some, and I'd like to contribute. On both my PS4 and VLC on my computer, Level 1.2 seems washed out, like it's too bright, evident by the black borders and details appearing grey. This is the Madman release, I should mention. Is this the way it's supposed to be? Regardless, here here's some comparisons:

Episode 23: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7KWLWNNX
Episode 122: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9F0BFNNU

Also, as someone said at the start of the thread, why not other DB series? There's surprisingly few Dragon Ball comparisons, so here's the Saga Sets VS. The Blue Bricks. If anyone has the Dragon Boxes, I'd very much like to see them in comparison to these shots:

Episode 72: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9F0B1NNU
Episode 87: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7KWLGNNX

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 am

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9F0JFNNU Some Cell Saga

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9F0J1NNU Old and new Buu Saga

That gives coverage for most sagas and unless anyone wants a specific episode or scene between the DBOX and 30th I'll probably leave it at that.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 am

kyppk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:33 am http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9F0JFNNU Some Cell Saga

http://www.framecompare.com/screenshotc ... n/9F0J1NNU Old and new Buu Saga

That gives coverage for most sagas and unless anyone wants a specific episode or scene between the DBOX and 30th I'll probably leave it at that.
The first Buu one is a great demonstration on the lost detail from DNR; the ground is so flat on the Black Bricks. That's a great shot to use when people say, "I don't see any detail loss"

kyppk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by kyppk » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:29 am

KPike87 wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:48 am
The first Buu one is a great demonstration on the lost detail from DNR; the ground is so flat on the Black Bricks. That's a great shot to use when people say, "I don't see any detail loss"
Personally I think the first Cell saga one shows the most abrupt damage, as you can see the cloud by Goku's right foot lose its outline completely and basically turn into the stone around it.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:41 pm

superfan2024 wrote: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:09 pm Now that Funimation has revealed more new shots and caps from their new blu-ray, I think it would be interesting to see comparisons between the:

- Ocean Dub/Pioneer home video releases
- Funimation in-house singles
- Ultimate Uncut Edition
- Orange Bricks
- Dragon Ball Kai
- Level Sets
- 2014 Funi Blu-Rays
- And now the new Black Bricks

Remember to use spoilers when making these comparisons so they don't take up the whole page.

Could you please change the title to US releases?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:41 pm Could you please change the title to US releases?
I disagree with this idea; some releases like the DB and GT Dragon Boxes weren't released in the United States, and there's the Spanish and upcoming French releases of Dragon Ball to consider as well.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:16 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:03 pm
sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 12:41 pm Could you please change the title to US releases?
I disagree with this idea; some releases like the DB and GT Dragon Boxes weren't released in the United States, and there's the Spanish and upcoming French releases of Dragon Ball to consider as well.
It's not an idea, it's a request to make clear what this topic is about. Because the ts clearly says it's the US releases.

KPike87
Beyond Newbie

Post by KPike87 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:57 pm

A few more comparisons. The Single DVD's make a pretty good budget alternative to the Dragon Boxes IMO, as long as you buy in bulk, and hey they have better color though worse compression.

Episode 105: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9F0FJNNU
Episode 106: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7KWK7NNX
Episode 107: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/9F0FFNNU
Episode 179: http://www.framecompare.com/image-compa ... n/7KWKWNNX
kyppk wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:29 am
Personally I think the first Cell saga one shows the most abrupt damage, as you can see the cloud by Goku's right foot lose its outline completely and basically turn into the stone around it.
Yep, that one's basically just as horrible.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:17 pm

sangofe wrote: Sun Jul 19, 2020 1:16 pm It's not an idea, it's a request to make clear what this topic is about. Because the ts clearly says it's the US releases.
I didn't even pick this up but I think everyone's just ignored it and gone for any release they have to hand.

ArmenianPepsi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ArmenianPepsi » Mon Jul 20, 2020 4:12 am

Well this is a nice thread to see come up. This will make for some great late night browsing. :lol:
First time Dragon Ball fan as of March 2020. Still learning the ropes. Nothing much else to say,