UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Post Reply
Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am

EDIT: I decided to go ahead and create fixed subtitle files for both the FUNi and Manga UK releases. Since some don't check the Fan Created Works section, I figured I would post the link to the forum post here as well.

Disclaimer: Posting this here as it could affect all future releases of Dragon Ball, not just Super.

As per this tweet from Ajay: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 57537?s=19

Why do the people that are in charge of Dragon Ball hate us? Why on earth would Toei want them to include dub names in the subtitle track for Japanese viewing? I understood it (even though I didn't like it) when watching Super on Crunchyroll before the dub came out, because a lot of dub fans were forced to watch that, and Toei probably didn't want to confuse them and drive them off (even though they would've be fine).

But now it's creeping into our home releases that have a damn dub track on them? What is the logic? Ajay mentions using "Frieza" instead of "Freeza", but I'm not sure what else will be in there. For me, this is really disappointing.

EDIT: Here's the disclaimer from the movie itself:
Image
Last edited by Forte224 on Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:55 pm, edited 4 times in total.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am
Disclaimer: Posting this here as it could affect all future releases of Dragon Ball, not just Super.

As per this tweet from Ajay: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 57537?s=19

Why do the people that are in charge of Dragon Ball hate us? Why on earth would Toei want them to include dub names in the subtitle track for Japanese viewing? I understood it (even though I didn't like it) when watching Super on Crunchyroll before the dub came out, because a lot of dub fans were forced to watch that, and Toei probably didn't want to confuse them and drive them off (even though they would've be fine).

But now it's creeping into our home releases that have a damn dub track on them? What is the logic? Ajay mentions using "Frieza" instead of "Freeza", but I'm not sure what else will be in there. For me, this is really disappointing.
I believe this same sort of thing also happened with some of the very first of the single DVD's that FUNi put out back in 2000 or so, where for some strange reason on the subtitles for the Japanese audio track they used the dub names for characters and other things instead of the proper translated versions. AFAIK that was only the case for the two Captain Ginyu discs then it was soon after fixed for all subsequent releases after that point.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:25 am

What is the logic in that? The whole reason I'm watching it subbed is because I don't want to watch it dubbed. Why does this dub shit need to encroach on my subtitled version?

Then again if you want a subtitled Blu-ray, you only have one option. Awesome.

Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am
Disclaimer: Posting this here as it could affect all future releases of Dragon Ball, not just Super.

As per this tweet from Ajay: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 57537?s=19

Why do the people that are in charge of Dragon Ball hate us? Why on earth would Toei want them to include dub names in the subtitle track for Japanese viewing? I understood it (even though I didn't like it) when watching Super on Crunchyroll before the dub came out, because a lot of dub fans were forced to watch that, and Toei probably didn't want to confuse them and drive them off (even though they would've be fine).

But now it's creeping into our home releases that have a damn dub track on them? What is the logic? Ajay mentions using "Frieza" instead of "Freeza", but I'm not sure what else will be in there. For me, this is really disappointing.
I believe this same sort of thing also happened with some of the very first of the single DVD's that FUNi put out back in 2000 or so, where for some strange reason on the subtitles for the Japanese audio track they used the dub names for characters and other things instead of the proper translated versions. AFAIK that was only the case for the two Captain Ginyu discs then it was soon after fixed for all subsequent releases after that point.
My concern is the fact that this isn't a mistake, it is at Toei's request. I added the disclaimer that plays before the movie to the original post.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:33 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:26 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:18 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:59 am
Disclaimer: Posting this here as it could affect all future releases of Dragon Ball, not just Super.

As per this tweet from Ajay: https://twitter.com/AnimeAjay/status/11 ... 57537?s=19

Why do the people that are in charge of Dragon Ball hate us? Why on earth would Toei want them to include dub names in the subtitle track for Japanese viewing? I understood it (even though I didn't like it) when watching Super on Crunchyroll before the dub came out, because a lot of dub fans were forced to watch that, and Toei probably didn't want to confuse them and drive them off (even though they would've be fine).

But now it's creeping into our home releases that have a damn dub track on them? What is the logic? Ajay mentions using "Frieza" instead of "Freeza", but I'm not sure what else will be in there. For me, this is really disappointing.
I believe this same sort of thing also happened with some of the very first of the single DVD's that FUNi put out back in 2000 or so, where for some strange reason on the subtitles for the Japanese audio track they used the dub names for characters and other things instead of the proper translated versions. AFAIK that was only the case for the two Captain Ginyu discs then it was soon after fixed for all subsequent releases after that point.
My concern is the fact that this isn't a mistake, it is at Toei's request. I added the disclaimer that plays before the movie to the original post.
I just don't get it, as in why Toei would make FUNimation use the dub names in the subtitle track for the Japanese version when they've been using the original names there on the series and movie releases for so many years with no problems.

Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am

Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 982
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama, USA

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:39 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
That just doesn't make sense, do they think the dub names are better or easier to use or something. Because some of them are literally just changing one letter (Freeza/Frieza) or other more significant ones where the names are heavily re written (Tenshinhan/Tien Shinhan, Kuririn/Krillin) so i just don't know why.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.

Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.
Yeah, FUNimation always does subbed showings, and they're usually shown before the dubbed ones. They even tweeted that the new Broli movie would be dubbed and subbed, then quickly corrected that tweet and said "Whoops sorry, it's dub only" (paraphrased). It certainly made Toei seem like the culprit.

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 am

Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am
Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.
Yeah, FUNimation always does subbed showings, and they're usually shown before the dubbed ones. They even tweeted that the new Broli movie would be dubbed and subbed, then quickly corrected that tweet and said "Whoops sorry, it's dub only" (paraphrased). It certainly made Toei seem like the culprit.
I missed out on Battle of Gods and Resurrection F when they were in theaters, so when this was announced I was really looking forward to seeing a brand new Dragon Ball movie in theaters in Japanese, 1998 me would've been blown away. Alas, I guess it wasn't to be. Maybe it'll change in the future, there will likely be more movies.

User avatar
eledoremassis02
I Live Here
Posts: 3205
Joined: Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:40 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by eledoremassis02 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:04 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:51 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:48 am
Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am


Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.
Yeah, FUNimation always does subbed showings, and they're usually shown before the dubbed ones. They even tweeted that the new Broli movie would be dubbed and subbed, then quickly corrected that tweet and said "Whoops sorry, it's dub only" (paraphrased). It certainly made Toei seem like the culprit.
I missed out on Battle of Gods and Resurrection F when they were in theaters, so when this was announced I was really looking forward to seeing a brand new Dragon Ball movie in theaters in Japanese, 1998 me would've been blown away. Alas, I guess it wasn't to be. Maybe it'll change in the future, there will likely be more movies.
I would love to see the Japanese version in theatres, but they're still that lingering feeling that Americans hate subtitles and FUNimations in house seem to be the gold standard for Dragon Ball here :(

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:51 am

Oh, this explains UK's AMZN version of Super Broly in Japanese with English subs. You'd expect to read "Freeza" but it was "Frieza" instead, I mean, "Frieza" is like writing Barbie, it's pronounced Bar-bee not Bar-by but still, "Frieza" looks really weird.

No wonder fans made made a simple correction of changing "Frieza" to Freeza on said subs.

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6294
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by sangofe » Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am

Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.
Are you saying you couldn't see Broly subbed in the States?

User avatar
Char Aznable
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 443
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:02 pm
Location: Connecticut
Contact:

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Char Aznable » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:04 am

sangofe wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 10:55 am
Char Aznable wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:40 am
Forte224 wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 9:36 am
Toei is also, speculatively, the reason we only got dubbed versions of Bardock/Broli/Gogeta/Super: Broli in theaters. The intention I get from this is that they know that the dub market is huge overseas and don't want to step on their toes. At all.
Oh my god. I mean, I know a subbed showing would be for a niche audience, but throw us a bone. Of all the showings that the movie had, one of them on a Saturday afternoon could've been a subbed version. When we were buying tickets on Fandango, my fiancé and I wanted to see it subbed and were disappointed there wasn't an option.
Are you saying you couldn't see Broly subbed in the States?
No, the option wasn't given, all showings were dubbed-only.

User avatar
gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:40 am

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by gokaiblue » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:05 am

Like several people have mentioned, this change makes no sense. Why would they use dub names on the sub track when they haven't been for at least the past 12 years? I already code switch all the time when watching Dragon Ball. Now this is going to make it harder.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:31 am

Between Frieza and Freezer, I wish they'd use Freezer. At least it'd be consistent with his brother's dubname (Cooler).

Kinokima
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1170
Joined: Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:02 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Kinokima » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 am

Toei also didn’t let the US have the subbed release so maybe they mistakenly think this is what the West wants. Soon they will be adding back the Bruce Faulconer score.

But jokes aside this is actually a very common practice of Japan’s where they ask to use strange English spellings.


Frieza vs Freeza isn’t even bad

One series I read Viz changed a character’s name from Kija to Gija ( and the characters name definitely sounds like the hard K)

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15254
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am

Wait, am I reading this correct, will the DB Super: Broly blu ray's subtitle track use dub names?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned
Posts: 1597
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:44 am

Kinokima wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:33 am
Frieza vs Freeza isn’t even bad
In your opinion. Don't speak for everyone.

Forte224
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1352
Joined: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:56 pm

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:50 am

ABED wrote:
Sat Apr 13, 2019 11:35 am
Wait, am I reading this correct, will the DB Super: Broly blu ray's subtitle track use dub names?
Only "Frieza" is confirmed, but yes. I don't think there are too many other instances in the Broli movie where it would be an issue. Kaio, or Roshi, or Makankosappo, or etc. aren't in it for example. But I'm worried about future content where those things are in it, and the subs not properly translating it.

Post Reply