UPDATE: Fixed subtitle files added to OP. The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 am

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:53 am
DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 amIn all seriousness, this isn't really an issue for me, and I don't know why it bothers so many people. We know what their names are; it's everything else we're relying on the subs to translate for us. I will still enjoy it nonetheless.
So if the subtitles started calling Goku, uh, let's say "Bob" you wouldn't mind? I mean, you know what his name is. Right?
Don't really think that would be the same as using an official dub name, but if they called Goku Bob I'd probably be laughing too hard to even read the subtitles.
Last edited by DBZfan29 on Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: The Broli movie will use dub names in its subtitles, at Toei's request. Could this become the new "standard"?

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:56 am
DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 amIn all seriousness, this isn't really an issue for me, and I don't know why it bothers so many people. We know what their names are; it's everything else we're relying on the subs to translate for us. I will still enjoy it nonetheless.
So if the subtitles started calling Goku, uh, let's say "Bob" you wouldn't mind? I mean, you know what his name is. Right?
Don't really think that would be the same as using an official dub name, but if they called Goku Bob I'd probably be laughing so hard to even read the subtitles.
Bulla and Bra have absolutely no relation to each other, and Bulla isn't a pun for anything. It's literally an outright replacement name.

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:58 am

Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am
Don't really think that would be the same as using an official dub name, but if they called Goku Bob I'd probably be laughing so hard to even read the subtitles.
Bulla and Bra have absolutely no relation to each other, and Bulla isn't a pun for anything. It's literally an outright replacement name.
Bulla is weird, but couldn't you say the same thing about Bulma not being called Blooma?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:03 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:58 am
Forte224 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:57 am

Bulla is weird, but couldn't you say the same thing about Bulma not being called Blooma?
I mean, yes. I don't think Simmons's subtitles are 100% flawless. But at least there you can point to Toriyama spelling "Bulma" all the years ago on her shirt. Bulla is outright replacement for no reason other than so someone isn't offended by "Bra".

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:13 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:51 am (On a side note, I still use dub names regularly because I have friends of the series who watch it dubbed. I'd rather not sound pretentious, which is almost always the case when I have used the Japanese names outside of Kanzenshuu.)
I use dub names for characters out of habit and preference, although with moves I lean more towards their original Japanese names (except for Solar Flare and Destructo Disc, as I KEEP mixing those two up!

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:21 am

DBZfan29 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 12:58 am Bulla is weird, but couldn't you say the same thing about Bulma not being called Blooma?
I'd probably be more offended by "Blooma" than "Bulma". At least "Bulma" regularly appears in Toriyama's drawings.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 am

This is freaking awful. I really dont want this. I REALLY DONT. And keep in mind I did criticize Steve Simmons for some of his choices. PLEASE DONT LET THEM DO THIS STEVEN!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:33 am

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:31 am This is freaking awful. I really dont want this. I REALLY DONT. And keep in mind I did criticize Steve Simmons for some of his choices. PLEASE DONT LET THEM DO THIS STEVEN!
It's not as if FUNimation has a say, Dragon 255. If FUNimation went behind TOEI's back and used the normal subtitles then who knows what would happen.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:34 am

I know I'm just buried in utter despair.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time this happened has it? Wasn't there a meme going around of a bit in Super where they have a drawing of the word 'Freeza' but the subtitles say 'Frieza'. Also the same subs used 'Bulla' which briefly led to people thinking her name had been censored in Japanese as well.

I'd actually be surprised if this was a recent thing, it seems like pretty standard practice to designate "official" name changes and spelling for different languages. Hardcore fans will balk at it, but nobody cares what they think. From Toei/Shueisha/Funimation's perspective (I don't know who has the final say on these decisions) it makes sense from a business perspective to nail everything down in consistent terms for each language, or at least as close to consistency as you can get with Dragon Ball. Pokemon's done it for years: even the most casual observer knows Charizard, but I'd wager there are fans who've followed every game in that franchise who've never heard of 'Lizardon'.

Besides, every bit of official material calls the new movie 'Dragon Ball Super: Broly' instead of 'Broli.' That's just the direction they've gone in.

Yalos
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yalos » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 am

To be honest I don't really care.. Well I've seen s lot of Dragon Ball in Japanese I'm used to the English names because of the games.
Is the script in the movie subtitles accurate? Because if so, I don't see the problem with this, they are just using a couple of different names.

I wish there was a Pokemon fansub the uses the English names because I want to watch the lastest seasons, but TPCI keeps fucking up the dub with their awful script and cheap as dirt music and voices and every fansub caters to extreme weebs and uses the Japanese names..

Also a bit off topic but I thought "Broli" was a misspelling of "Broly" until I saw this thread.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 am

Yalos wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 am Also a bit off topic but I thought "Broli" was a misspelling of "Broly" until I saw this thread.
It makes a bit more sense when you remember that Broly's Saiyan-vegetable pun is on Broccoli. Remove the "occ" and you get "Broli"!

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:22 am

Great, as if Funimation messing things up with DB wasn't enough.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 10:25 am

Kataphrut wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 amCorrect me if I'm wrong, but this isn't the first time this happened has it? Wasn't there a meme going around of a bit in Super where they have a drawing of the word 'Freeza' but the subtitles say 'Frieza'. Also the same subs used 'Bulla' which briefly led to people thinking her name had been censored in Japanese as well.
Yes but that was only on streamed versions. Home releases had the proper names, so it was somewhat forgiven.
Kataphrut wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:49 amHardcore fans will balk at it, but nobody cares what they think. From Toei/Shueisha/Funimation's perspective (I don't know who has the final say on these decisions) it makes sense from a business perspective to nail everything down in consistent terms for each language, or at least as close to consistency as you can get with Dragon Ball. Pokemon's done it for years: even the most casual observer knows Charizard, but I'd wager there are fans who've followed every game in that franchise who've never heard of 'Lizardon'.

Besides, every bit of official material calls the new movie 'Dragon Ball Super: Broly' instead of 'Broli.' That's just the direction they've gone in.
I'll ignore the "nobody cares what they think" remark. Anyway, this is different than Pokemon. A consistent, near 20 year precedent hadn't been set where people expected to see accurate Pokemon names, and then suddenly the rug was pulled from under them. That's exactly what has happened with this latest subtitle change in Dragon Ball. 20 years (at least) of the proper names being in the subtitles and suddenly they're gone. It's frustrating for long time viewers, and confusing for new viewers as they see things like Beerus calling Roshi "Master Roshi" and think Beerus is giving him some kind of respect. It's incorrect and should not happen.

Oh, and "Broly" is not definitively incorrect like "Frieza" or "Bulla" is, so that didn't really indicate anything about this happening.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:12 am

Ajay wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:47 pm
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: Sat Apr 13, 2019 6:33 pmThough our release will probably have the sub issue too like the theatrical.
I'm also concerned by this, and I think it'll depend heavily on how much Manga UK really care about listening to Toei.

When I first saw the Amazon leak and saw the subtitles were using dub terms and contained that one mistranslation, I reached out to my contact at Manga UK to see if he could talk to someone about getting that fixed for the Blu-ray.

He's super nice and took my list of issues to the team in charge to see if they'd be able to change that stuff up before release. He reached out a few weeks back and said the sub issue is currently being looked into, but I haven't had a chance to see what the outcome was.

At the very least, if nothing changes, every effort was taken to trying to get it fixed :/
Appreciate you reaching out, especially when the Amazon thing happened while back hopefully something gets resolved about it, can't stand Freeza with an I!

I'd be okay if they just force changed "Broli" to "Broly" since that would sorta make sense given that "Broly" is spelled everywhere for the film but the others seem unnecessary to force upon.

I do feel kinda bad missappropriating blame at Manga, hopefully ToeiEurope aren't too unreasonable they have shown more competence lately so we'll just have to wait and see!

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:57 am

This'll be just like the One Piece manga using Zolo instead of Zoro then. Eye roll inducing, but ultimately superficial and not a deal breaker. I can see why it would make sense from Toei's point of view to have one set of names so that merchandise and stuff doesn't contradict each other (even in the Super BDs, you have the inconsistency of the dub names showing up on the title cards). It's just a shame that being picky about names means doubling down on names that only came about because they used to be the opposite of picky.

Presumably this means that Funi won't be able to rename future characters even if they wanted to. Can't wait for the dub being forced to use "King Kai Fist".

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Sun Apr 14, 2019 1:47 pm

This kind of blows.. but oh well life goes on, this is nothing tragic. No reason to lose sleep over it.
One World. 🌐 🕊

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:13 pm

Okay, guys, what's with the weird green tint? Is that some kind of a consistency thing that TOEI's doing?

TOEI are sorta forcing fans to use "share" websites because the official releases are a bit too flawed.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Apr 14, 2019 2:46 pm

I've seen this debate on twitter too

Honestly, I don't mind dropping "Bra". I get that it's censorship, but this is one that I don't particularly mind. Bulla being similar to Bulma - which is the romanization that pretty much everyone accepted for 30 years- makes it work. I don't think the name puns need to be treated as this holy pillar of Dragon Ball. If we ever see a saiyan that's named after a salad dressing and not am actual vegetable are people going to riot?

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:20 pm

KBABZ wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:41 am
Yalos wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:28 am Also a bit off topic but I thought "Broli" was a misspelling of "Broly" until I saw this thread.
It makes a bit more sense when you remember that Broly's Saiyan-vegetable pun is on Broccoli. Remove the "occ" and you get "Broli"!
Not to nitpick but it's more like remove the "cco" to get "Broli", despite some questionable pronunciations you might hear.