English Movie Titles - TOEI Vs. FUNimation

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: English Movie Titles - TOEI Vs. FUNimation

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm

I can understand why they changed the titles because they needed something that sounds more marketable. What really bothers me is when they not only don't display the proper title when you play the films in Japanese, but they straight up cover or replace the titles. I don't like pointless edits in movies like this. They should have just left them alone like the did on the old DVD's.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:11 am

Gligarman wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:52 pm I can understand why they changed the titles because they needed something that sounds more marketable. What really bothers me is when they not only don't display the proper title when you play the films in Japanese, but they straight up cover or replace the titles. I don't like pointless edits in movies like this. They should have just left them alone like the did on the old DVD's.
Agreed, the title edits are glaring and obnoxious, pisses me off further that we never got Dragon Box The Movies as was originally promised.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Tue Apr 16, 2019 11:29 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:00 pm
The Tori-bot wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:26 amNope. You're wrong, MasenkoHA is right. I don't need to look at any links to know those aren't the Japanese titles of the movies in your first post. You don't even know for a fact that Toei themselves came up with them, do you? You're just guessing. Looking at literally any other source besides that site would probably have given you the correct titles. There's this great site called Kanzenshuu, for example...

At least know your stuff, dude.

(Also, did you seriously throw shade at Steve Simmons of all people? Like the Big Green dub's title translations would be more reliable than his? :lol:)
You're telling me that Kanzenshuu which is a fan-made website is more accurate than TOEI's actual website? Haha. No.

One thing is FUNimation translating the Japanese titles to English and TOEI making their own English titles.
Toei also called Zyuranger "Galaxy Rangera," but that's not a proper translation of the title Kyoryu Sentai Zyuranger. It may be Toei's official title, but it's not a proper translation of the actual title. It would be like calling Le nozze di Figaro In Pursuit of Sussana instead of The Marriage of Figaro. Return my Gohan is a much more accurate title, regardless of what Toei says.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

VDenter

Post by VDenter » Tue Apr 16, 2019 3:06 pm

While i admit the Funi names make more sense. I still prefer the Toie ones, since simply put, they are the real names of the movies.