Theories of why TOEI remastered the Movies & Specials but not the Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Theories of why TOEI remastered the Movies & Specials but not the Series?

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:35 pm

TOEI has remastered DB Movies 1-4, DBZ Movies 1-13 and DBZ TV Specials 1-2 so while we've not seen proof of TOEI remastering any of the Classic Dragon Ball series (Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT) there is a strong possibility because of the remasters TOEI has done.

This is pretty exciting stuff for Dragon Ball fans so I'm just going to be patient because why else would they remaster the Movies & Specials but not the Series? Something's surely in the works. Probably Dragon Ball Z.

FUNimation can keep their crappy Season Sets in 4:3 AR. :P

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Theories of why TOEI remastered the Movies & Specials but not the Series?

Post by Forte224 » Sun Apr 14, 2019 3:50 pm

Well, time is certainly a factor. The movies and specials will naturally take less time than DB/Z/GT. I imagine we will see something from them, but I'm just as skeptical towards Toei as I am FUNimation these days. And, best case scenario, if they do release DB/Z/GT and it's an amazing remaster...there still won't be any subtitles. That's a deal breaker for me.

Sure, I could rip all the Blu-rays to my PC and figure out how to add my own, but that's just too much. I did that with all the Japanese Dragon Boxes...but never again. I want to just pop in a disc and have a good remaster with English subtitles. Sadly, something so simple is seemingly never going to exist.

Tl;dr Yeah, they are probably working on their own remaster, but it being good (a.k.a. worth the price) is improbable, and watching it with subtitles on disc will most likely be impossible. So I'm not particularly excited.

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:15 pm

If I can't buy it without subtitles (which it won't have), I don't really care about a Toei remaster - especially if it's going to be censored like the movies were. I don't want to buy imported Blu-rays, pay for the crazy shipping that will likely come with them, and not even have subtitles and censors on top of it? Not really interested.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm

Toei probably won't ever remaster DBZ because it would be too time-consuming for almost 300 episodes, when they did Kai as the ultimate remastered version. Even in Super, if they have to show what happened in Z, they use Kai as their go-to version that's up to standards.

So why bother with a remaster when they already spent years doing extra efforts for THE remaster made to erase the flaws from back then?
I don't think we'll ever see another remaster for Z, not for a looooong while (50th anniversary? Then again, they would remaster Kai directly).
If anything, when the story has no more continuation and has reached a new end (end of the Super manga), your best bet is that if they decide to retell it from the start, it will be fully reanimated rather than just remastered.

So yeah, I think it's over for Z remasters in Japan. The next step is full reanimation, ONLY when the story reaches a new "definitive" stop with no intention of inventing new stories for the next decade or so.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:05 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pm Toei probably won't ever remaster DBZ because it would be too time-consuming for almost 300 episodes, when they did Kai as the ultimate remastered version. Even in Super, if they have to show what happened in Z, they use Kai as their go-to version that's up to standards.

So why bother with a remaster when they already spent years doing extra efforts for THE remaster made to erase the flaws from back then?
I don't think we'll ever see another remaster for Z, not for a looooong while (50th anniversary? Then again, they would remaster Kai directly).
If anything, when the story has no more continuation and has reached a new end (end of the Super manga), your best bet is that if they decide to retell it from the start, it will be fully reanimated rather than just remastered.

So yeah, I think it's over for Z remasters in Japan. The next step is full reanimation, ONLY when the story reaches a new "definitive" stop with no intention of inventing new stories for the next decade or so.
There is a possibility they're doing due to the HD remaster of the DB Movies and Specials so time will tell but with the green tint on Dragon Ball media.. I'm not really looking forward to it all that much anymore. :thumbdown:

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:12 pm

^ There is definately something weird with that green tint since their remasters for the Boo saga of Kai.

I understand they try to get rid of the red tint that was noticeable in the old footage, and that editing softwares can show a slider that goes from green tint on one side to red tint on the other... but there's gotta be a point where the slider is not red anymore and not yet green either...

Just lower the tint shader until the red disappears and stop it there before the green appears!

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pmThe next step is full reanimation, ONLY when the story reaches a new "definitive" stop with no intention of inventing new stories for the next decade or so.
Will DB ever reach that point ? I just don't see DB ever being in a position of ending with Toriyama now willing to be involved and an entire division in the DB room being established to keep the brand alive. GT's ending is the only thing we'll ever see when it comes to a definitive end. With that said, I would be very happy if they took a break from new content and reanimated the original manga in Shintani's style.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 3:50 pm
Cold Skin wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 12:52 pmThe next step is full reanimation, ONLY when the story reaches a new "definitive" stop with no intention of inventing new stories for the next decade or so.
Will DB ever reach that point ? I just don't see DB ever being in a position of ending with Toriyama now willing to be involved and an entire division in the DB room being established to keep the brand alive. GT's ending is the only thing we'll ever see when it comes to a definitive end. With that said, I would be very happy if they took a break from new content and reanimated the original manga in Shintani's style.
Man, a manga accurate, Shintani style Dragon Ball remake sounds so good. Don't even add the Z when Raditz shows up!

Oh, and Dragon Ball will stop when it stops making money, simple as that. It'll happen. Maybe not in the next 5 years, but it'll happen.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm

Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 pmMan, a manga accurate, Shintani style Dragon Ball remake sounds so good. Don't even add the Z when Raditz shows up!
No Z or other subtitle needed, just a 200 episode show under one name from Pilaf to Buu. I wouldn't mind the Bardock and Trunks special being reanimated as well.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Mon Apr 15, 2019 5:05 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:43 pm
Forte224 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2019 4:32 pmMan, a manga accurate, Shintani style Dragon Ball remake sounds so good. Don't even add the Z when Raditz shows up!
No Z or other subtitle needed, just a 200 episode show under one name from Pilaf to Buu. I wouldn't mind the Bardock and Trunks special being reanimated as well.
That sounds so great that I'm positive it will never happen.