Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

10gigtriforce
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Post by 10gigtriforce » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:14 am

I doubt it, aside from them being co-students at the crain dojo and becoming best bros there, chiaotzu looks way too much like a kid. Like i get hes old technically, and based off of those weird doll things but he looks 11. Heck hes smaller than gohan at age 11. Thats just.... i dunno old people with kid looking people seems like a bad idea to try and use that as the first gay heros in mangas.

plus every good shipper knows him and yamcha's fan art is the best ;)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:54 am

Otaku don't apply real-world logic characters, hence why so many of them ignore the fact that Chaozu basically never ages or seems to change in height. Applying real-world logic to the conversation--as western fans often do in contrast to Otaku--will do nothing of value.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:21 pm

Man I really can’t stand topics like this.. not because of the subject matter itself but because they’re started with the purpose of β€œTehe watch me get some shit started” as opposed to trying to have a productive conversation.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Sadala Elite
Banned

Post by Sadala Elite » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:01 pm

Tien and Chiaotzu are just close friends and asexuals.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Tenshinhan and Chaozu have more romance scenes together than Gokuu and Chi-Chi. Remember that extremely gay music that played during Tenshinhan's death? And those flashbacks? Super gay.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 17, 2020 5:24 am

Tien and Chaozu are clearly older/younger brother dynamic... it’s a really old trope and makes sense. I know that some anime is really a senseless crap with sexual torture and liquid drinking for weird people, but Dragon Ball is shonen from time, where there wasn’t much weird stuff going on and also as this series was for mainstream audience. Imagine Akira Toriyama including LBGT romance in shonen manga, that has a clear moments of making fun from homosexuality (General Blue, the leather wearing guy on Tenkaichi Budokai). Let’s face it, 80’s and 90’s were like it and homosexuals had to fought and still fight for rights.
They are like Ikki and Shun in Saint Seiya, but not related to each other.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:08 pm Tenshinhan and Chaozu have more romance scenes together than Gokuu and Chi-Chi. Remember that extremely gay music that played during Tenshinhan's death? And those flashbacks? Super gay.
Did Tien and Chiaotzu make out?
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: ↑Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:51 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:08 pm Tenshinhan and Chaozu have more romance scenes together than Gokuu and Chi-Chi. Remember that extremely gay music that played during Tenshinhan's death? And those flashbacks? Super gay.
They fucked each other's souls during their deaths in the Saiyan arc.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:09 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:49 am
No but neither did Goku and Chi Chi since Chi Chi has a no kissing rule when they make future scholars

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 10:42 am

Like, eww, cishets...kissing? Totes gross.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Arteaga4K
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Arteaga4K » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:24 pm

Most likely a fat no. Doubt Toriyama would even think about that no matter how bad a select few would wanna believe otherwise
Personal Top 5 Anime List
1. Attack on Titan
2. Code Geass
3. Hunter x Hunter (2011)
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
5. Dragon Ball/DBZ

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm

Reminder: Nobody in this thread seriously thinks Toriyama meant for Chaozu and Tenshinhan to be a men-loving-man couple.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm Reminder: Nobody in this thread seriously thinks Toriyama meant for Chaozu and Tenshinhan to be a men-loving-man couple.
At least there hasn't been anything which would suggest to me that was his intention when creating them. I suppose it's open to interpretation as to their relationship, but nothing strikes me personally as that being the case.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:55 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm
JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:47 pm Reminder: Nobody in this thread seriously thinks Toriyama meant for Chaozu and Tenshinhan to be a men-loving-man couple.
At least there hasn't been anything which would suggest to me that was his intention when creating them. I suppose it's open to interpretation as to their relationship, but nothing strikes me personally as that being the case.
I mean, like, g*sh, look at all the Goten x Trunks books out there. Even 'nominally' heterosexual characters can have their 'ownership' taken by the queer community for their own purposes. That is what makes Japanese fandom of Japanese media so much fun.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:00 pm

JulieYBM wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:55 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: ↑Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:50 pm
I mean, like, g*sh, look at all the Goten x Trunks books out there. Even 'nominally' heterosexual characters can have their 'ownership' taken by the queer community for their own purposes. That is what makes Japanese fandom of Japanese media so much fun.
I mean yes the characters' relationships can be interpreted in that fashion if they desire to, because even if it's not explicitly written as such by Toriyama himself i'm not saying it can't.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Planetnamek
Banned

Post by Planetnamek » Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:58 pm

I never really saw them that way, I always saw their relationship as more like siblings.
"Why run away from something you're not afraid of?" - Goku

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Feb 18, 2020 1:42 pm

The depiction of Tenshinhan's death scene in the 1989 cartoon is more romantic and sorrowful than any scene between Gokuu and Chi-Chi and Vegeta and Blooma, the two main couples in the franchise. This ripple effect it's had on how people interpret Tenshinhan and Chaozu is surely incredible.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm

I guess it's possible but there's not really anything that indicates that their relationship is romantic, although Toriyama doesn't care to put romance in this series anyway even between characters that are married.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:52 pm

funrush wrote: ↑Tue Feb 18, 2020 2:51 pm I guess it's possible but there's not really anything that indicates that their relationship is romantic, although Toriyama doesn't care to put romance in this series anyway even between characters that are married.
Which I am grateful for... I am no fan in pointless sex scenes in movies (which are mostly normally portrayed) and well, I am not fan of this weird Japanese otaku anime romance in anime... Last time I remember interesting and believable relationships is the old UC Gundam and Yu Yu Hakusho, as the old fart that I am, but hell, this weird hentai moe c**p nowadays. Gosh, it is the same cringe I have during Star Wars Episode II when Anakin is outright stalking predator with weird dialogues, but at least, he is not drinking Padme's urine...
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:06 pm

Moe has existed in the Japanese animation and comics scene since the 1970s. Women and men were writing and drawing comics about cute girls before most of us on this form were even born.

Shit, moe is older than Dragon Ball.
She/HerπŸ’• πŸ’œ πŸ’™
Lucifer's bimbo daughter