Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Re: Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 01, 2019 12:29 am

LOL, all my posts were killed during the maintenance. Long story short: nothing really indicates anything in official works but who cares? Be gay and do crimes.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyamanMS » Wed May 01, 2019 1:15 am

As Julie said, there’s no significant evidence one way or another. Tenshinhan is most likely asexual, but if he isn’t, then he’s probably gay for Chaozu. I don’t think it’s at all likely he’s straight though.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:15 pm

PhoenixEX wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:08 pm
ruler9871 wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2019 12:47 pm Tien is a monk (who are suppose to be asexual depending on the religion), but he way he completely disregards Launch yet is overly concerned with Chiaotzu does make it plausible that he's gay.
Tien is not gay, period.
Much as I'm against people leaping to conclusions about Tenshinhan's sexuality, this does go both ways; we don't know that he's gay, but we also don't know that he's not. He could very well be gay, but live a generally celibate existence. Or he could just be really low-key about it in general.
SaiyamanMS wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:15 am As Julie said, there’s no significant evidence one way or another. Tenshinhan is most likely asexual, but if he isn’t, then he’s probably gay for Chaozu. I don’t think it’s at all likely he’s straight though.
TBH, I'd disagree on the last point but otherwise agree.
He could be gay, could be ace, could be straight, or anything in-between or beyond. However, I've always seen his relationship with Chiaotzu to be almost brotherly. They're students of the Crane Hermit, who shared a lot of formative years with each-other under their aforementioned master, and thus will always share a strong bond.

It's possible they have some kind of romantic thing, but I personally would doubt it. Just doesn't feel like that's what's going on.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 am

I call Tenshinhan pansexual because not only do I think that we pans need a little more exposure but it writes his relationship with Chaozu as being something that transcends mere gender. Your girl is hopelessly poetic.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:53 pm

Tien is not the only character widely assumed to be gay by much of the fandom. Many fans around the world think Freeza is gay too. There's even a thread about this:
viewtopic.php?t=27010
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:53 pm Tien is not the only character widely assumed to be gay by much of the fandom. Many fans around the world think Freeza is gay too. There's even a thread about this:
viewtopic.php?t=27010
What about Zarbon? Or did that just start with TFS...
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Thu May 02, 2019 5:56 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 5:18 pm
ruler9871 wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:53 pm Tien is not the only character widely assumed to be gay by much of the fandom. Many fans around the world think Freeza is gay too. There's even a thread about this:
viewtopic.php?t=27010
What about Zarbon? Or did that just start with TFS...
Him too, as well as all of the Ginyu Force.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Thu May 02, 2019 10:06 pm

Again, there is nothing that indicates it.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 02, 2019 10:19 pm

Zarbon is not gay. My crystal ball told me that we would make me his woman. He...is pan!! Beauty wa beauty!
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Fri May 03, 2019 3:56 am

I wonder if people would be so quick to cry "nuh uh, it's familial sibling type love" were Chaozu a female character.

Rubens
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Rubens » Fri May 03, 2019 10:25 am

Their interactions strongly suggest they have a close, brother-like relationship and that's all. Ofcourse, anyone is free to imagine whatever they want besides what the story provides.
I'm back!

Lurking around here since 2014. Just an old fan who regained his passion for Dragon Ball since then.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 am

JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 am I call Tenshinhan pansexual because not only do I think that we pans need a little more exposure but it writes his relationship with Chaozu as being something that transcends mere gender. Your girl is hopelessly poetic.
Wow, that is ....just wow.

Anyway, the only female we see him with is Lunch. Does anybody recall if he shoes any interest in her at all? As I recall it was fairly one-sided.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Wed May 08, 2019 5:36 am

Jord wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 am
JulieYBM wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 9:38 am I call Tenshinhan pansexual because not only do I think that we pans need a little more exposure but it writes his relationship with Chaozu as being something that transcends mere gender. Your girl is hopelessly poetic.

Anyway, the only female we see him with is Lunch. Does anybody recall if he shoes any interest in her at all? As I recall it was fairly one-sided.
He shows more interest in Goku than in Launch.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 08, 2019 8:15 am

Jord wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 am

Care to hook a girl up with an explanation of what you are getting at?
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 pm

Jord wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 amWow, that is ....just wow.
Lol, that's exactly I was just thinking. It's a kids cartoon and we're talking about exposure for... nevermind.

Anyway, no they aren't in a romantic relationship, they never have been, they never will be and no such thing will ever be implied.

One is a grown man and one is a grown...child clown. Such a thing would be pretty disturbing to be honest. They're just close friends like Goku and Krillin.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 pm

I really don't understand what this is even trying to get at, there's really nothing to imply that about either of them in any way in the manga or anime though people can certainly think whatever they want. It's clear they are good friends just as Yamcha and Puar are, there isn't anything i could see that would lead me to believe such a thing, and as far as i'm concerned they are not a romantic couple but if you disagree then that's your call.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:31 pm I really don't understand what this is even trying to get at, there's really nothing to imply that about either of them in any way in the manga or anime though people can certainly think whatever they want. It's clear they are good friends just as Yamcha and Puar are, there isn't anything i could see that would lead me to believe such a thing, and as far as i'm concerned they are not a romantic couple but if you disagree then that's your call.
Yeah, Dragonball isn't very subtle with it's gay characters. Just took a look at Blue who I think is the only character that is actually portrayed as gay.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu May 09, 2019 2:39 am

Jord wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am Yeah, Dragonball isn't very subtle with it's gay characters. Just took a look at Blue who I think is the only character that is actually portrayed as gay.
No there was that fruity guy, I have no idea what his name is...was it during EoZ? The guy that hit on Trunks? The one who looked like the biker from the Village People.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Thu May 09, 2019 2:50 am

Bullza wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:39 am
Jord wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 2:26 am Yeah, Dragonball isn't very subtle with it's gay characters. Just took a look at Blue who I think is the only character that is actually portrayed as gay.
No there was that fruity guy, I have no idea what his name is...was it during EoZ? The guy that hit on Trunks? The one who looked like the biker from the Village People.
Lol. You're right. He's called Otokosuki apparently

He always makes me laugh. Come to think of it, this tournament had a lot of cooky characters like him and Captain Chicken.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu May 09, 2019 8:55 am

Bullza wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 pm
Jord wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:53 amWow, that is ....just wow.
Lol, that's exactly I was just thinking. It's a kids cartoon and we're talking about exposure for... nevermind.

Anyway, no they aren't in a romantic relationship, they never have been, they never will be and no such thing will ever be implied.

One is a grown man and one is a grown...child clown. Such a thing would be pretty disturbing to be honest. They're just close friends like Goku and Krillin.
Care to continue that sentence? Or do you just want to throw LGBTQIA+ folks under the bus for saying "Toriyama probably doesn't give a shit so I'll interpret them as being [x]"? I know I'm being bitchy here but holy-dick-on-a-pogo-stick, what part of your mind made you think it was necessary to say
Bullza wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 11:10 pmIt's a kids cartoon and we're talking about exposure for... nevermind.
What part? How? Why? What made you think "Ah yes, I need to include a part in my post where I begin to say something then turn around and say 'nevermind' without continuing my sentence as if I'm embarrassed to say it but don't actually remove the beginning of the thought from my post!"
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter