Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Are Tien and Chiaotzu a romantic couple?

Post by ABED » Wed May 15, 2019 1:09 pm

SaiyamanMS wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 10:25 am
ABED wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:51 am
Polyphase Avatron wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 9:42 am

Uh, remind me again when this happened? Are you talking about the filler with General Blue?
I think he's referring to the earlier scene when Bulma is alone on an island and two RRA goons try to assualt her.
It’s she, her name is Julie. I know it can sometimes be hard to know someone’s gender on the internet, but she clearly has her name in her username and her pronouns in her signature. Either you’re not paying attention or deliberately being a dick.
Sorry. Force of habit. I didn't mean to disrespect her. A slip of the tongue, not a deliberate attempt to hurt anyone's feelings, so let's move past it.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed May 15, 2019 1:10 pm

Saikyo no Senshi wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 2:17 am Last year's Precure series composer(head writer) and the series directors took all those aspects seriously and presented it in the most sincere way possible which is way better than any Western show I have ever seen.

Precure always had this going for it since its inception. The father of the franchise, Washio who started it and one of his reasons for doing it was to promote self empowerment among girls and not rely on boys. Sure, its not a unique thing or even the first time anyone has done it, but its nice to know what the creators had in mind while creating it. The last season just decided to go all out and it was fitting cause it was Precure's 15th anniversary. Its not just the show being progressive, but the head writer is genuinely an active person on social media talking about this stuff regularly on twitter. Given its largely positive reception in Japan and discussions around those aspects specifically(Henri's whole character is the biggest example), I don't think there should be any doubts even remotely what message it was trying to convey.

As for this year, the producer just literally said her goal is to draw attention to diversity and present it as a normal thing so that kids understand it as such as well. Lol. And, the 14th episode does so brilliantly. Again, no room for any doubt at all.

Its also not a Precure exclusive thing. Kids shows like Doremi in the past did it well and many more in the past as well as in the present take these aspects seriously. So, the whole PC/sjw/feminism/diversity is a western concept exclusive to Western media is bullcrap. Also, using PC/sjw as a pejorative in 20 fucking 19 is hilarious.
Wanting to empower girls (which is nothing new) =/= modern feminism (empowerment means different things to different people).

PC/sjw/feminism/diversity IS a western concept exclusive to Western media because none of the core beliefs and politics associated with them (gender being an artificial construct instead of biologically based, no innate differences between males & females, race/ethnicity being an imaginary construct, human equality in general, etc) are popular nor believed outside the West (hell, most folks of non-white/non-western descent who live in the West don't believe in that either). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcqxH6hdOUw
Western folks really need to stop projecting politics into everything

And no, SJW is a valid insult due to the irrationality, close-mindedness, over-sensitive, anti-science, prudish and self-righteous attitude of the types of people associated with the term.
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm

ruler9871 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 pm
Sailor Moon had gay characters and aside from the lesbian sailor soldiers their gay characters were problematic af to be mild.
That series doesn't write its LGBT characters any differently from its straight ones. There's heroes and villains of both orientations in it, so Naoko Takeuchi wasn't really trying to make a statement about it.
Except the first two gay male villains had a very stereotypical one is the man one is the woman. The feminine gay one was portrayed as a sissy and threw cherry blossoms as an attack. (It wasn’t that difficult for the dub to turn him into a female) and the latter gay villain cross dressed as a woman to seduce straight men (which is of course is problematic af when trans woman are murdered on the grounds of tricking men) so he could steal their dreams. Saying they weren’t portrayed any differently than the straight characters is kind of nope.

And this was strictly on the anime. From what I recall in the manga this wasn’t a problem because the former gay villains weren’t gay. Just pretty men as being written by a female author for a mostly young female audience. And the latter, iirc, was part of a cross dressing group of villains but didn’t have the whole pretending to be a woman to get a man cliche.

ruler9871
Regular

Post by ruler9871 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:48 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 3:27 pm
ruler9871 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 12:50 pm
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue May 14, 2019 9:17 pm
Sailor Moon had gay characters and aside from the lesbian sailor soldiers their gay characters were problematic af to be mild.
That series doesn't write its LGBT characters any differently from its straight ones. There's heroes and villains of both orientations in it, so Naoko Takeuchi wasn't really trying to make a statement about it.
Except the first two gay male villains had a very stereotypical one is the man one is the woman. The feminine gay one was portrayed as a sissy and threw cherry blossoms as an attack. (It wasn’t that difficult for the dub to turn him into a female) and the latter gay villain cross dressed as a woman to seduce straight men (which is of course is problematic af when trans woman are murdered on the grounds of tricking men) so he could steal their dreams. Saying they weren’t portrayed any differently than the straight characters is kind of nope.

And this was strictly on the anime. From what I recall in the manga this wasn’t a problem because the former gay villains weren’t gay. Just pretty men as being written by a female author for a mostly young female audience. And the latter, iirc, was part of a cross dressing group of villains but didn’t have the whole pretending to be a woman to get a man cliche.
So what, gay characters aren't allowed to be villains now? What type of BS double standard is that? Besides, none of the gay villains' evilness in the series stems from their orientation, so how is it "problematic"?
zarmack wrote:The whole "Dragonball is only supposed to be light and funny" mentality that exist in a lot of the fandom is in many ways even dumber than the "edgeload" side of the fandom. You know, the contrarians who think DB should be a Slice-of-Life series, the folks who worship Pre-Raditz Dragonball uncritically, the folks who downplay and often flat-out deny that Dragonball is an action series, the folks who try to push that false argument that none of the serious moments in the series were mean't to be taken seriously, etc.

Dragonball doesn't have a single tone. It has both silly and serious moments, both humor and drama, just like real life. The idea that a work of fiction should be only all-comedy or all-serious is unnatural and frankly, retarded.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 5:20 am

Saint Seiya had also some gay characters in it... Lacerta Misty and Pisces Aphrodite (with lipstick and rose based attacks). But that wasn't used as a statement either, but rather as being part of their character as they both were narcissists that admired their beauty.

I can understand that gay people are happy, when they have some representation in a media they like, same as I was happy that Prague and Czech Republic was a setting of Mobile Suit Victory Gundam. But it is not any social statement or something.
But does it promote diversity? Well yeah, it does, which is normal. I have straight friends, gay friends, one of them is transexual,
and even tough I don't like this I have friends argument, as it is just my word, it is crucial.
Because that people are gay or identify as a different gender because mistakes happen in nature, and people are just born sometimes, wired psychologically as women tough thanks to chemistry imballance, born as man - it is normal. It is same like us being caucasians, asians and africans. And I believe in equal rights, sure, I believe that two guys can be parents same as a two genders can in psychological sense.

What I don't like tough, is LBGT being used as fashion. I think that you can identify yourself as woman, man or unicorn, if you wish, but if you are not that gender biologically (and I think of transgender people as being biological gender, because human's character is not a soul, but a brain, biomechanical device), then it is fashion like furry's are and I don't see any reason to be vocal about it in such agressive manner.
Well, I like trains, you like dressing as a horse, let's go chat to a bar like two people.

For short, I don't see what this ruckus is about.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Yosheets
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Yosheets » Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm

No. They are literally Yamcha #2 and Puar #2. That's not the same as a romantic couple.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu May 16, 2019 1:03 pm

Yosheets wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 12:24 pm No. They are literally Yamcha #2 and Puar #2
No

DragonBallLove
Beyond Newbie

Post by DragonBallLove » Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:20 am Saint Seiya had also some gay characters in it... Lacerta Misty and Pisces Aphrodite (with lipstick and rose based attacks). But that wasn't used as a statement either, but rather as being part of their character as they both were narcissists that admired their beauty
Neither is gay, as in homosexual, meaning attracted to other men. The only explicitly gay main character in Saint Seiya is Cancer Death Toll, from Kurumada's Next Dimension manga. You can make a case for Episode G Assassin's characterization of Hyoga and Shun as a gay couple, but that's kept blurry. In the same manga, Hyoga's boss is transgender, and Aphrodite travestites for a mission.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu May 16, 2019 5:28 pm

DragonBallLove wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 4:58 pm
MCDaveG wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 5:20 am Saint Seiya had also some gay characters in it... Lacerta Misty and Pisces Aphrodite (with lipstick and rose based attacks). But that wasn't used as a statement either, but rather as being part of their character as they both were narcissists that admired their beauty
Neither is gay, as in homosexual, meaning attracted to other men. The only explicitly gay main character in Saint Seiya is Cancer Death Toll, from Kurumada's Next Dimension manga. You can make a case for Episode G Assassin's characterization of Hyoga and Shun as a gay couple, but that's kept blurry. In the same manga, Hyoga's boss is transgender, and Aphrodite travestites for a mission.
Yeah, you are right, my bad. They are feminime in the anime, wearing a lipstick with Misty having a pink body suit, as in manga, they are just androgynous and narcissist, with Misty having white body suit.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Zarely
Banned

Post by Zarely » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:14 am

Not at all, they are all friends and training partners. Like Goku and Krillin.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:36 am

Tien and Chiaotzu's favorite 'foods' are each other:

viewtopic.php?t=10196

Also, Chiaotzu is far too weak to be an efficient sparring partner.

There's definitely something going on...
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:39 am

They're men-loving men. Soulmates. Harmless emitters of love. The epicenter of a love bomb's explosion.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:54 pm

Never got those vibes from Tien and Chiatozu personally.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm

I never even realized that Tenshinhan x Chaotzu was an actual thing that people were wondering about. I know there have always been jokes in the fandom about them being gay, but I always assumed they were just that, jokes, just like the joke about Batman and Robin (AKA, Batman’s adopted son) being a couple. I never assumed that was an actual serious interpretation of their relationship. I mean, even TFS didn’t go that route, and they made Yaijrobe and Korin a couple.

Zarely
Banned

Post by Zarely » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:33 pm

WittyUsername wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:06 pm I never assumed that was an actual serious interpretation of their relationship.
There isn't, one is an adult and one looks like a small child. Only paedophiles would take that seriously. Normal people just see them for what they are, friends.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:18 pm

One can ship whatever characters they want together. That's the great thing about 2D characters and fictional contexts. I've been seeing some Tenshinhan x Yamcha stuff on Twitter lately that I'm loving.

Phew boy, That Gay Shit is Good.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 pm

Whatever floats their boat i guess, i'm not really all that into shipping in general.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:38 pm

Fiction is really rad since you can do anything with it and if you're skilled you can create good art or writings. I'm always amazed at the skill of fan artists who draw romance art or comics.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Zarely
Banned

Post by Zarely » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 pm Whatever floats their boat i guess, i'm not really all that into shipping in general.
Yeah I'm not sure why that guy posted those images here but It's pretty disturbing that people would think to even make up fan art like that. Some people are weird I guess like Bronies

Dragon Ball is one of the better Shonen anime series because it doesn't have all this romance stuff dragging it down, it's kept at such a minimum that it's only purpose is to create new characters like Gohan and Trunks. It wouldn't suit this series at all if it went further than that. I got tired of hearing about it when it came to Naruto and Bleach all the time because it was all fans harped on about.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:54 am

Zarely wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:27 pm Whatever floats their boat i guess, i'm not really all that into shipping in general.
Yeah I'm not sure why that guy posted those images here but It's pretty disturbing that people would think to even make up fan art like that. Some people are weird I guess like Bronies

Dragon Ball is one of the better Shonen anime series because it doesn't have all this romance stuff dragging it down, it's kept at such a minimum that it's only purpose is to create new characters like Gohan and Trunks. It wouldn't suit this series at all if it went further than that. I got tired of hearing about it when it came to Naruto and Bleach all the time because it was all fans harped on about.
Psst, I'm not a guy. Thank you for your time.

Also, romance is awesome. Beating around the bush for 2-30 years is not.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
Lucifer's bimbo daughter