Wait a minute, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku??

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: Wait a minute, could Kara Edwards do a good Kid Goku??

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:01 pm
ABED wrote:Thanks, though when I see people describe Goku as wild, it makes me think "feral child" which Goku isn't. He's naïve and ignorant, but he's not wild and uncontrollable.
His fighting style and personality tends to be untamed and unrestrained.
I don't know what that means. He's probably the most refined fighter in the story. Even early on, everything he did had purpose.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm
ABED wrote:Thanks, though when I see people describe Goku as wild, it makes me think "feral child" which Goku isn't. He's naïve and ignorant, but he's not wild and uncontrollable.
I don't know what that means. He's probably the most refined fighter in the story. Even early on, everything he did had purpose.
Purposeful =/= refined. His attacks and movements were wild, and he didn't like to hold back. In that sense, he was more like an animal than he was a human. Adult Goku maybe, but even then he could still be brutal at times.

Kataphrut
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kataphrut » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:23 pm

I feel like people judge Colleen Clinkenbeard's portrayal of Kid Goku too harshly. It's not like she's had much cause to define the role, she pretty much only does it in games, flashbacks and that one DB movie nobody watched.

Still, if they recast Kid Goku, it doesn't have to be with another actor that already plays a DB role. They've got plenty of talent kicking around that could do it. I mean, as talented as Masako Nozawa is, I don't think even she necessarily had to play everyone in the Son family at all ages. Call me a heretic, but I prefer the way the English dub divvied up those roles.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 pm

Nah. Kara Edwards just wouldn't fit as she just isn't a good actress, in my opinion.

I'm still holding out on the faint hope that Saffron Henderson comes back to voice Kid Goku. She was SO good as him, and as Kid Gohan, too. Unfortunately, she hasn't done ANY voice-work since 2015. So it's very likely she quietly retired from acting.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm

Purposeful =/= refined. His attacks and movements were wild, and he didn't like to hold back. In that sense, he was more like an animal than he was a human. Adult Goku maybe, but even then he could still be brutal at times.
I didn't say they were the same. And no, he did often hold back even when he was younger. From the first time we meet him, he was well trained by his grandpa. Where is this coming from? What actual evidence can you point to as him being "wild" and "untamed"?

Goku isn't a feral child. He didn't have contact with the outside world, but his grandpa taught him to communicate and how to fight. He's naïve to concepts like manners, technology, and sex, but he's not wild. Any voice for Kid Goku needs to convey that. Going with something as vague as "wild" is asking for bad characterization. I still wonder why they cast Delgadillo 20 years ago. Her voice was so soft spoken.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:56 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:09 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:54 pm I don't know what that means. He's probably the most refined fighter in the story. Even early on, everything he did had purpose.
I didn't say they were the same. And no, he did often hold back even when he was younger. From the first time we meet him, he was well trained by his grandpa. Where is this coming from? What actual evidence can you point to as him being "wild" and "untamed"?
He fights and kills wild animals with his bare hands, he eats like an animal, he runs around naked. When he attacks, he goes hard and brutal no matter who or what he's fighting. His punches and kicks are savage and are meant to inflict the maximum amount of damage possible. He hurls himself head-first through windows, ceilings, armored vehicles, and even his opponents' stomachs. He swings through trees, bites people, etc.

This is what I mean by wild and untamed.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 pm

He hunts. That doesn't make him wild, otherwise everyone who ever hunts or has hunted is wild.

Goku is the complete opposed of wild. He's very controlled. He holds back when he deems it necessary. He hits hard and inflicts maximum damage when he's fighting villains. He wants to put them down and not have to deal with them more than once. Not a single thing you've written says wild. Wild means out of control. Broly in the latest movie was an example of wild. He literally could not control himself.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:11 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:14 pm
. I still wonder why they cast Delgadillo 20 years ago. Her voice was so soft spoken.
Probably for the same reason they cast Leslie Alexander, who sounded like a middle aged British nanny who had been hitting the bottle, for Bulma. You gotta wonder about the auditionees who didn’t make the cut.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm

I say it every time one of these threads happens, but Courtenay Taylor is a really good vocal match for Stephanie Nadolny in OK KO. I could barely tell the difference between the two until I looked up specifically which episodes which actress took on for the character (the most I can say is that Nadolny sounds slightly more like Spongebob), and given that KO is basically a Goku ripoff anyway (I believe his casting was entirely intentional) I think she would be perfect to replace Nadolny/Clinkenbeard for the character. As much as I think Colleen is a way better Gohan than whatever the fuck Nadolny was doing for the character, her kid Goku is just a worse version of her Luffy and it drives me mad.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 pm Goku is the complete opposed of wild. He's very controlled. He holds back when he deems it necessary. He hits hard and inflicts maximum damage when he's fighting villains. He wants to put them down and not have to deal with them more than once.
Post-God Goku yes. Pre-God Goku not so much. Fighting hard and unrestrained was his nature.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 pm

MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:07 pm Goku is the complete opposed of wild. He's very controlled. He holds back when he deems it necessary. He hits hard and inflicts maximum damage when he's fighting villains. He wants to put them down and not have to deal with them more than once.
Post-God Goku yes. Pre-God Goku not so much. Fighting hard and unrestrained was his nature.
I don't think you understand what wild actually means. Apparently hunting is now considered wild. In the Tenkaichi Budokai, he holds back a whole hell of a lot. Is Vegeta wild? He doesn't hold back either. Unrestrained does not equal wild.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:41 pm

Plague-Memories wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 am After hearing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmMLk5DlsM I'm gonna have to say jesus god no.
That performance was so bad I assumed it was from DBZ.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:45 pm

Captain Awesome wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:41 pm
Plague-Memories wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 8:11 am After hearing this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FmMLk5DlsM I'm gonna have to say jesus god no.
That performance was so bad I assumed it was from DBZ.
There are a few awkward lines but it is not that bad.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:52 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:19 pm I say it every time one of these threads happens, but Courtenay Taylor is a really good vocal match for Stephanie Nadolny in OK KO. I could barely tell the difference between the two until I looked up specifically which episodes which actress took on for the character (the most I can say is that Nadolny sounds slightly more like Spongebob), and given that KO is basically a Goku ripoff anyway (I believe his casting was entirely intentional) I think she would be perfect to replace Nadolny/Clinkenbeard for the character. As much as I think Colleen is a way better Gohan than whatever the fuck Nadolny was doing for the character, her kid Goku is just a worse version of her Luffy and it drives me mad.
I seriously hope FUNi have cast Taylor as Kid Goku for the FighterZ DLC.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:57 pm

I'm pretty certain they'll just use Clinkenbeard again, the only way I can really see her being recast is for a more major part as kid Goku, i.e. a redub of classic DB. Which is annoying, because that's really the only sort of thing I would really NEED a new Kid Goku VA for anyway, and it is most likely not happening any time soon, possibly ever.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm

Why hire a Nadolny soundalike when they could hire someone good?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:05 pm

Shaddy wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:57 pm I'm pretty certain they'll just use Clinkenbeard again, the only way I can really see her being recast is for a more major part as kid Goku, i.e. a redub of classic DB. Which is annoying, because that's really the only sort of thing I would really NEED a new Kid Goku VA for anyway, and it is most likely not happening any time soon, possibly ever.
Yeah. I'd even appreciate the chance for Clinkenbeard to at least figure out a unique voice for Kid Goku, because right now it feels like she just does her Kid Gohan voice due to a lack of time to figure it out and defaulting to "well they're both kids in the same family line".
MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm Why hire a Nadolny soundalike when they could hire someone good?
I'm biased but for me Nadolny is iconic as the english Kid Goku with her performance. Very different from how Nozawa does it, but I still feel it fits the character and his experiences growing up informing how he speaks.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 pm

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:37 pm
MyVisionity wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:31 pm
I don't think you understand what wild actually means. Apparently hunting is now considered wild. In the Tenkaichi Budokai, he holds back a whole hell of a lot. Is Vegeta wild? He doesn't hold back either. Unrestrained does not equal wild.
Hunting is "wild" if you're fighting and killing wild animals with your bare hands, yes. And then eating wild animals like a wild animal.

Maybe "wild" isn't the best term. Ferocious, brutal, savage, rugged maybe? Vegeta is ferocious as well.

The tournaments have rules and regulations. Goku is forced to adapt and go against his nature while fighting. Even so, his true nature still shines through at times, particularly when facing difficult opponents like Jackie Chun, Tenshinhan, and Ma Junior.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:09 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:03 pm Why hire a Nadolny soundalike when they could hire someone good?
Taylor is good, I would say better than Clinkenbeard, who is ALSO good, just not good for THIS role. Most of the people that complain about Gohan in Kai are doing it because of how it compares to Nadolny's Gohan (a fact which baffles me because GOD she was awful as him), so having someone who is not only better than Nadolny but also still has a similar sounding voice would do well to please people that are fans of both Nadolny's Goku and Goku's voice not sounding like shit.

And for what it's worth, I think actors and actresses specifically in American cartoons are generally better than ones in English anime dubs, ***PURELY IN GENERAL, THAT ISN'T ABSOLUTE***. Crispin Freeman has a minor role on Steven Universe and I seriously feel like half the time the only reason his monotone isn't distracting is because the character is pretty straight-edge anyway.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 12:15 am

Lord Beerus wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:05 pm Nah. Kara Edwards just wouldn't fit as she just isn't a good actress, in my opinion.

I'm still holding out on the faint hope that Saffron Henderson comes back to voice Kid Goku. She was SO good as him, and as Kid Gohan, too. Unfortunately, she hasn't done ANY voice-work since 2015. So it's very likely she quietly retired from acting.
Henderson does still voice act, she had two roles in Gintama's Ocean dub which was released in 2017.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.