Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyanTarzan
Not-So-Newbie

Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Post by SaiyanTarzan » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:32 am

It doesn't have to be a professional or anything but I've always been curious if we've ever had someone who not only captured Masako Nozawa's performance as Goku but also similar vocal intonation. I've always tried imagining what it would sound like.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Post by Forte224 » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:39 am

Not even close to Nozawa, no.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Re: Has there ever been an English va that captured Masako Nozawak's performance as Son Goku?

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am

Kelamis was the only one who even tried. He hit certain notes decently.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:13 am

As close to my heart as Nadolny's performance is (nostalgia, etc), she's doing a very different performance from Nozawa, so the answer there is no.

Some of the performances of adult Goku I don't like at all because they make him sound more like Hercules than anything else.

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:30 am

Peter Kelamis was the closest thing to a Nozawa-esque Goku, especially in the Uncut movies.

There's no denying Sean Schemmel puts heart into his performance, particularly in modern DB, but his interpretation is a far cry from the original. He gets it close during some of the goofier scenes, but other than that, he feels like a completely different characters.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:38 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am Kelamis was the only one who even tried. He hit certain notes decently.
Having a similar pitch is not the same thing. He's nowhere even remotely in the ballpark of Nozawa.

It's a self defeating goal to try to emulate another actor's performance. Any actor who takes the role should just act as Goku. It would be like every Bond trying to copy Connery instead of being James Bond.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:38 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 9:54 am Kelamis was the only one who even tried. He hit certain notes decently.
Having a similar pitch is not the same thing. He's nowhere even remotely in the ballpark of Nozawa.
In terms of being a small Japanese woman, no he certainly is not in her ballpark.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:42 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:40 am
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:38 am
In terms of being a small Japanese woman, no he certainly is not in her ballpark.
I was referring to her talent. I guess if going by one of the questions of original post, Kelamis is the closest to sounding like Nozawa, but that says nothing about the quality of his performance.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am

I feel like 98% of this forum aren't equipped to judge the talent of a Japanese voice actor/actress.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am I feel like 98% of this forum aren't equipped to judge the talent of a Japanese voice actor/actress.
Because you need to speak the language to judge the performance?

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:48 am I feel like 98% of this forum aren't equipped to judge the talent of a Japanese voice actor/actress.
Y...yeah.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:53 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am
ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:49 am
Y...yeah.
Regardless of whether I agreed or not, and I don't, but just on Kelamis' own merits, he's awful. Even in an exaggerated context, he's bad at conveying emotion in any natural way.

You can definitely judge the performance even in a language you don't speak. The ability to convey emotion comes through regardless of language.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am

You are 1) vastly underselling the nuance of what constitutes voice acting "talent", and 2) vastly exaggerating the nuance of the scripts of Dragon Ball.

This is without me saying a word about Kelamis' talent.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:13 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:05 am You are 1) vastly underselling the nuance of what constitutes voice acting "talent", and 2) vastly exaggerating the nuance of the scripts of Dragon Ball.

This is without me saying a word about Kelamis' talent.
The nuance in Nozawa's performance comes through just fine without anyone having to understand a single word of dialog. Things like vocal inflection come through regardless of the language barrier.

How have I undersold the nuance of voice acting talent? ANd how have I exaggerated the nuance of DB's scripts? I used terms like "natural" not "nuance".
Last edited by ABED on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am

Because I can recite an angry line of Japanese dialog and sound angry while I'm doing it, thus "conveying emotion". That doesn't mean I did it well or that I have talent, and the vast majority here would have no valid opinion on it either way.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:17 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am Because I can recite an angry line of Japanese dialog and sound angry while I'm doing it, thus "conveying emotion". That doesn't mean I did it well or that I have talent, and the vast majority here would have no valid opinion on it either way.
Sounding angry and sounding angry in a natural or genuine way are two different things.

While culture can affect emotions, emotions are still universal and translate across culture.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:22 am

ABED wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:17 am
Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:15 am Because I can recite an angry line of Japanese dialog and sound angry while I'm doing it, thus "conveying emotion". That doesn't mean I did it well or that I have talent, and the vast majority here would have no valid opinion on it either way.
Sounding angry and sounding angry in a natural or genuine way are two different things.
And I have not the slightest clue what constitutes "natural" delivery in Japanese. If you don't speak Japanese, neither do you.

I would, of course, be willing to listen to Japanese peoples' ratings of voice actors. And if a Japanese person says that Nozawa is an especially talented voice actress, then that's pretty much that.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:24 am

Because it's not about actual dialog being spoken, it's about tone and inflection. Sure, there are subtleties I am missing, but in broad strokes we get the picture.

Because I can recite an angry line of Japanese dialog and sound angry while I'm doing it, thus "conveying emotion".
This is wrong for so many reasons. Conveying an emotion like anger takes more than raising one's voice and conveying hostility and displeasure. You have to do it well. Tommy Wiseau saying "It's bullshit, I did not hit her. I did NOT!" is not a good performance because it doesn't sound natural. It's conveying anger, just not well. The dialog don't matter, it's the sound. It's also the body language, but in the context of our discussion about voice acting that doesn't apply.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:31 am

What, of course it's about the dialog. Each line, each word, each syllable has a mode and method of delivery made up of tone/timbre, inflection, cadence, etc.
Special Beam Cannon!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:32 am

Cursed Lemon wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:31 am What, of course it's about the dialog. Each line, each word, each syllable has a mode and method of delivery made up of tone/timbre, inflection, cadence, etc.
The actual words being spoken don't matter, it's HOW they are spoken and the context in which they are spoken. That's how you judge a performance. I don't need to know a word of dialog to judge the performances in the scene where Goku tells Kuririn to spare Vegeta.
Last edited by ABED on Sat Apr 20, 2019 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.