It’s time for fans to come together and remaster the series properly.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

It’s time for fans to come together and remaster the series properly.

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm

Ever since my SRTO hit, I’ve entertained the thought of investing $500,000+ of my personally money into remastering the entire series. I would like to hire a company or group of people to work on this under strict supervision. We need to preserve this series in the best possible quality. It’s time for collectors around the world to share their broadcast audio and work with this community to really make something worthy of a remaster. I’m pretty busy these days and I’m not as free as a bird, so if you have any ideas, drop me a PM or comment below.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Char Aznable
Regular

Re: It’s time for fans to come together and remaster the series properly.

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:47 pm

That would be an incredibly ambitious project, what masters would you use as the basis for this? Would you be upscaling Dragon Box footage and color correcting that, or do you have access to actual raw film masters from some source?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm

If you or anyone tried to do this wouldn't Toei step in and stop you ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:56 pm

Is it possible as an external company to licence the series? If, say, you lived in Canada, which I don’t THINK Funimation has the rights to, you could maybe get a scan of the (actual) original film and release it there.

Or maybe convince Toei to hire you to remaster the series for THEM to sell?
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:02 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:56 pm Is it possible as an external company to licence the series? If, say, you lived in Canada, which I don’t THINK Funimation has the rights to, you could maybe get a scan of the (actual) original film and release it there.

Or maybe convince Toei to hire you to remaster the series for THEM to sell?
I understand this isn’t going to be easy, but if we can pull it off somehow, we’ll be far better off than the garbage FUNi puts out.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Chilly

Post by Chilly » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm If you or anyone tried to do this wouldn't Toei step in and stop you ?
How much different is this from the fan remaster of the original Star Wars trilogy? I mean, I would have thought the same thing for that, but to my knowledge no one stepped in. I could be completely misinformed on the subject though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:26 pm

Chilly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm
sintzu wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:53 pm If you or anyone tried to do this wouldn't Toei step in and stop you ?
How much different is this from the fan remaster of the original Star Wars trilogy? I mean, I would have thought the same thing for that, but to my knowledge no one stepped in. I could be completely misinformed on the subject though.
I'm not a star wars fan so I don't know about that. I just assume that Toei won't let another company work on their franchise without their OK.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:07 pm

How much would something like this cost? While DB is popular, there's still a legitimate reason to think there isn't enough of a market to make a product presumably that costly. Is it popular enough to justify this sort of expense? Please think the answer through and don't just assume there are enough fans.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:22 pm

Crowdfunding is an option. That’s how fans are now able to buy the Mother and Mother 2 albums for the first time outside Japan. And on vinyl. Japan never even got that.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:28 pm

I mean, if a lot of people chipped in, and I mean A LOT, like it would take millions to make this work, also consider the fact it would have to be not-for-profit because fans are not the rights holders and the vast majority will be discouraged from contributing anyway, especially when most are satisfied with the releases they own.
Chilly wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:11 pm
The rights holders can clamp down, but pirating sites will keep projects like this alive. Harmy's Despecialized edition of the Star Wars trilogy can only be found on sites like that and private screenings because they can't be distributed any way legally. Dragon Ball would face the same challenge, which, as I stated previously would be with trying to make a profit off of it, that would obviously be off the table unless TOEI or any other distributor could be persuaded by a fan who put together a remaster for them to sell (which is unlikely).

So for this to work you would need a very large collaboration of fans to help financially, and not to be pessimistic but Dragon Ball is no where near as popular as Star Wars and its exponentially more work to remaster 3 movies than 508 episodes and the fanbase may not be big enough to make that happen. I hope I'm wrong, but its an incredibly massive undertaking that I really hope is achievable.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Char Aznable
Regular

Post by Char Aznable » Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:44 pm

If it was crowdfunded, I would happily kick in something but only if it can be guaranteed that the project wouldn't be shut down by Toei or FUNimation so I could see some kind of return on investment, and of course some proof that my contribution would actually be going toward an original, professional remaster.

SuperKai

Post by SuperKai » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:32 pm

I would be down for this but we just have to make sure Toei and Funimation have no reason to wanna shut it down!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Ever since my SRTO hit, I’ve entertained the thought of investing $500,000+ of my personally money into remastering the entire series. I would like to hire a company or group of people to work on this under strict supervision. We need to preserve this series in the best possible quality. It’s time for collectors around the world to share their broadcast audio and work with this community to really make something worthy of a remaster. I’m pretty busy these days and I’m not as free as a bird, so if you have any ideas, drop me a PM or comment below.
If I had $500,000 to spend I sure as hell wouldn’t waste it on a tv series.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:01 pm

As soon as we get an updated guide on color correcting the Dragon Boxes, then I think there might be hope for this project. It is very ambitious, but it can be done. Crowdfunding might not be needed, but crowdsourcing will.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:40 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm
AnimeMaakuo wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 2:43 pm Ever since my SRTO hit, I’ve entertained the thought of investing $500,000+ of my personally money into remastering the entire series. I would like to hire a company or group of people to work on this under strict supervision. We need to preserve this series in the best possible quality. It’s time for collectors around the world to share their broadcast audio and work with this community to really make something worthy of a remaster. I’m pretty busy these days and I’m not as free as a bird, so if you have any ideas, drop me a PM or comment below.
Speaking personally, I would buy a life size, anatomically correct Goku statue.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:41 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:16 pm
This and it's not an investment if you don't expect a return.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 pm

I don't know about crowdfunding for this type of thing. To my knowledge the people behind Star Wars Despecialized didn't make any money off that project. It was pure passion. As for Toei stopping it though, I doubt it. It technically doesn't violate copyright.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:55 pm

Gligarman wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:53 pm I don't know about crowdfunding for this type of thing. To my knowledge the people behind Star Wars Despecialized didn't make any money off that project. It was pure passion. As for Toei stopping it though, I doubt it. It technically doesn't violate copyright.
I think distribution of it might be.

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm

It would be great to include as many dubs and subs as possible so every Dragon Ball fan around the world would finally get his proper release he (or she) has been dreaming for so long

I honestly don't trust TOEI or FUNimation to remaster DB, DBZ or DBGT as it should so I'm glad the Dragon Boxes, AB Video Movies Z7-11, FUNi HD DB M1-4, etc exist.

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:13 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:01 pm It would be great to include as many dubs and subs as possible so every Dragon Ball fan around the world would finally get his proper release he (or she) has been dreaming for so long

I honestly don't trust TOEI or FUNimation to remaster DB, DBZ or DBGT as it should so I'm glad the Dragon Boxes, AB Video Movies Z7-11, FUNi HD DB M1-4, etc exist.
That would be complicated and probably taxing. Some dubs are either incomplete or not available in a high enough quality. Plus, it might make it very close to a terabyte (probably not but it would make the files rather large).