Do you have any nitpicks about the Dragon Ball franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Do you have any nitpicks about the Dragon Ball franchise?

Post by DestructoDisc » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:06 pm

I do. I didn't like how they made Dyspo look so much like Beerus because it didn't serve any real purpose. I hate that Gohan keeps wearing glasses eventhough there's nothing wrong with his vision. Just because Gohan is a scholar you don't need to make him look like a total nerd. Lastly, I don't like Caulifla's outfit. She's supposed to be a bandit right? Well she doesn't really look like one at all to me in those clothes. I'd give her a jacket, and leather pants.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Do you have any nitpicks about the Dragon Ball franchise?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:37 pm

We already have two complaint threads like this. We dont need any more.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:50 pm

• I find kinda odd how Goku's hair as a kid is different from his baby's and adulthood days.
• I probably pay too much attention to years/AGE. So whenever they make a mistake, I'll know and complain.
• I don't like seeing Bardock without the headband and those red shin guards he used to wear over the boots.
• I don't like how Oozaru is a ripoff of the werewolf myth. Not original, not interesting at all (and I dare say Dragon Ball Evolution did it better).
• Characters rarely change their outfits, and when they do, they don't stick with it and return to the old and dull outfits.
• I don't like how concepts and ideas are introduced but never (fully) explored.

Dishonorable mention: this one may be complex but maybe it fits as my own nitpick (?)

• By observing the standards these days, people seem to be satisfied when all they get is a glorified fight scene. If a work delivers it, it's enough to be called "great work". That said, am I nitpicking when I say I prefer story above all else? With no story, I can't call that work "great".

I think that's all.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:21 am

Concepts that get introduced are hardly kept, but saved for when it's supposed to be a reference, because I'll be damned if our heroes couldn't have helped themselves more often than not. With that being said, the story doesn't acknowledge its own mechanisms, and had rather focus on linear action to get backed by plot conveniences. What those bring are cool concepts and designs though.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 am

1- Companies and fans ignoring the original DB.

2- The way Funimation has handled their DBZ releases.

3- Viz never releasing the Kanzenban or finishing the Full Color edition.

4- Super's rushed production schedule.

5- Modern DB relying too much on classic elements.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:17 am

sintzu wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 10:12 am 1- Companies and fans ignoring the original DB.

2- The way Funimation has handled their DBZ releases.

3- Viz never releasing the Kanzenban or finishing the Full Color edition.

4- Super's rushed production schedule.

5- Modern DB relying too much on classic elements.
For me those are not nitpicks. They bother me too much to just be nitpicks.

Super_Divine_Genki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Super_Divine_Genki » Sat Apr 27, 2019 4:38 pm

I agree, sintzu's list is a bigger deal than just being nitpicks.

Off the top of my head, and in-universe, it's always bothered me how #18 "sold" Tenshinhan's Kikoho!! as he was attempting to hold back Cell. She seemed not only completely overwhelmed by the attack (which wasn't even directed towards her at all), but it even knocked her off her feet as she looked helpless to escape its destructive blast radius(!). Not long before this, she was tanking every attack by SSJ Vegeta (even a head-on charged-up ki attack), and standing strong all the while without flinching(!).

Now, I know that there are many inconsistencies within the series when it comes to the power level stuff of it all, but c'mon!

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:06 pm

1. The debate about SSJ4 or SSJB being stronger having no real answer......

2. There being no place to retain part of the dead souls of those who were evil in life.

3. Saiyans being unable to control their actions as Saiyan Apes.

4. No other Saiyan colonies in Universe 7.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:06 pm 3. Saiyans being unable to control their actions as Saiyan Apes.

This only seemed to be a problem for Goku and Gohan.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:14 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:19 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:06 pm 3. Saiyans being unable to control their actions as Saiyan Apes.

This only seemed to be a problem for Goku and Gohan.
True but if you watch the new Super movies Paragus says that when a Saiyan becomes a Great Ape they lose all sense of themselves.

I also don't like the Saiyan family dynamics.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:50 pm • I find kinda odd how Goku's hair as a kid is different from his baby's and adulthood days.
yeah this is a minor thing but it really bothers me how much more pointy and almost jagged like goku's hair got after the saiyan arc. it's one of the smaller things that shows off how much toriyamas style changed, and how much it got worse, in my opinion of course.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm

Aside from the others I mentioned I also don't like how the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie made the admins of the dragon ball wikia think that Wrathful form is a part of the Legendary Super Saiyan form.........

Bebi Hatchiyack
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bebi Hatchiyack » Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:24 am

I have too much nitpicks to quote them all. :lol:
Saiya-jin me, watashi ha kisama wo koroshimasu

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am

Soppa Saia People wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:28 pmyeah this is a minor thing but it really bothers me how much more pointy and almost jagged like goku's hair got after the saiyan arc. it's one of the smaller things that shows off how much toriyamas style changed, and how much it got worse, in my opinion of course.
I think it's the other way around. The only Goku's hairstyle I don't like is from when he's a kid. I'd say Toriyama improved it in that regard. The modern/baby hairstyle "feels" more natural to me.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 am

Black face is pretty fucked up

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:42 am

Grimlock wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:04 am I think it's the other way around. The only Goku's hairstyle I don't like is from when he's a kid. I'd say Toriyama improved it in that regard. The modern/baby hairstyle "feels" more natural to me.
oh haha, my mistake on assuming what you meant. sorry. both fit the thread though so it works.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:09 pm

The NEP's aren't included on for the US home video releases of DB and DBZ (DBoxes not included). GT has them, but not for the season sets. It's all incredibly arbitrary. Why, just... why?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:13 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm Aside from the others I mentioned I also don't like how the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie made the admins of the dragon ball wikia think that Wrathful form is a part of the Legendary Super Saiyan form.........
My nitpick is that people go to the Wikia for information...
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm

-DB lacks female fighters as protagonists. Except for Pan in GT we only got #18 in tournament of power arc. Other girls were either only episodic fighters (Videl or #18 before ToP) or mothers. We have more female antagonists in franchise than protagonists.
-Fans hating ChiChi for being good mother
-Fans being satisfied with lazy ideas like Golden Frieza or Goku Black which only makes TOEI and Toriyama continue this trend as shown in DBS Broly because as long as it's succesful they won't bother with giving more effort to franchise.
-Gohan changing from fighter to scholar and vice versa all the time. I'm compeltely fine with Gohan being nerd as in early Buu saga as well as GT and most of Super. I prefer Gohan this way.
-Goku and Vegeta switching back ot their old outifts in Super. I'd prefer them to have different outfits for different series as they had in GT. Their old outfits are getting boring.
-Fans still thinking Vegeta got SSJ4 by machine and that Goku achieved it by himself when it's completely opposite as both got help in Oozaru transformation but Vegeta was the one who turned into SSJ4 on his own while Goku needed Pan for that.
-Fans thinking Goku tried to enable Ultra Instinct in DBS Broly because of weird color effects TOEI put in this movie
Last edited by sunsetshimmer on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm -Fans hating ChiChi for being good mother
How is she a good mother?
-Fans still thinking Vegeta got SSJ4 by machine and that Goku achieved it by himself when it's completely opposite as both got help in Oozaru transformation but Vegeta was the one who turned into SSJ4 on his own while Goku needed Pan for that.
Vegeta had Bulma hit him with Bruits waves. Both had help.

Here's a nitpick of mine - Freeza surviving Namek's explosion. It's not something major, but it does bug me.
Last edited by ABED on Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.