Do you have any nitpicks about the Dragon Ball franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Re: Do you have any nitpicks about the Dragon Ball franchise?

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm -Fans hating ChiChi for being good mother
How is she a good mother?
How is she not? She never did anything wrong. She's overreacting a bit but what is wrong about her wanting Gohan to become smart person and responsible father instead of being a dumb fighter as Goku? She always wanted the best for Gohan.
-Fans still thinking Vegeta got SSJ4 by machine and that Goku achieved it by himself when it's completely opposite as both got help in Oozaru transformation but Vegeta was the one who turned into SSJ4 on his own while Goku needed Pan for that.
Vegeta had Bulma hit him with Bruits waves. Both had help.
Only for Oozaru. But unlike Goku he achieved SSJ4 on his own after that. Bruits waves had nothing to do with SSJ4. Machine stopped working after Vegeta turned into Oozaru. Everything after that was Vegeta's work.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:29 pm
sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:25 pm -Fans hating ChiChi for being good mother
How is she a good mother?
How is she not? She never did anything wrong. She's overreacting a bit but what is wrong about her wanting Gohan to become smart person and responsible father instead of being a dumb fighter as Goku? She always wanted the best for Gohan.
-Fans still thinking Vegeta got SSJ4 by machine and that Goku achieved it by himself when it's completely opposite as both got help in Oozaru transformation but Vegeta was the one who turned into SSJ4 on his own while Goku needed Pan for that.
Vegeta had Bulma hit him with Bruits waves. Both had help.
Only for Oozaru. But unlike Goku he achieved SSJ4 on his own after that. Bruits waves had nothing to do with SSJ4. Machine stopped working after Vegeta turned into Oozaru. Everything after that was Vegeta's work.
You need Oozaru to unlock SSJ4. Without her, he gets nowhere. The entire point of that was to make him turn SSJ4. Both had help.

Pushing your kid to study all day every day isn't helping him become smart. Not to mention that not sheltering a child is a good idea. It's an even better idea given they live in the mountains, hours away from civilization. She's pushing him to be what she wants. He's four! She's a tiger mom, and they aren't concerned with what's best for their children. They want success for their children, but it's very superficial success. It also seems asinine that she doesn't want her kid to end up like his dad when she married him.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:53 pm

SSJGAffleck wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:13 pm
Hulk10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm Aside from the others I mentioned I also don't like how the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie made the admins of the dragon ball wikia think that Wrathful form is a part of the Legendary Super Saiyan form.........
My nitpick is that people go to the Wikia for information...
In 2019...
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm You need Oozaru to unlock SSJ4. Without her, he gets nowhere. The entire point of that was to make him turn SSJ4. Both had help.
The point is Vegeta could turn into Oozaru if he had a tail. It's not something he isn't capable of. Goku had his tail pulled off, it's the same "cheat". But people only whine about Vegeta, not Goku, even though Goku had more help as he couldn't even turn into SSJ4 once he achieved Oozaru. But Vegeta did, alone. It's like saying Goku didn't achieve SSJB on his own because he needed help to get SSJG which was needed to get SSJB. Well, it's not even the same, because Goku couldn't get SSJG other way, but they could turn into Oozaru easily if only they had tails. Also, Vegeta used fake moon to turn into Oozaru in saiyan saga. It's the same situation.
"I will concede that your feelings are worthy of the mightiest of Saiyans. However, there is more to my power than just this. Before you die, I will show it to you. This is the difference in power, between the primitive Saiyans and the evolved Tsufruians." ~Baby Vegeta

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm

Hulk10 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:37 pm Aside from the others I mentioned I also don't like how the Dragon Ball Super Broly movie made the admins of the dragon ball wikia think that Wrathful form is a part of the Legendary Super Saiyan form.........
That’s more on the wikia for being mostly run by idiots.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:48 pm

One of mine is how Toriyama is tacking on stuff to existing stuff like suddenly coming up with all kinds of explanations of events in Z and things like 17 & 18's names. It feels very tacked on.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:49 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 1:06 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 12:33 pm You need Oozaru to unlock SSJ4. Without her, he gets nowhere. The entire point of that was to make him turn SSJ4. Both had help.
The point is Vegeta could turn into Oozaru if he had a tail. It's not something he isn't capable of. Goku had his tail pulled off, it's the same "cheat". But people only whine about Vegeta, not Goku, even though Goku had more help as he couldn't even turn into SSJ4 once he achieved Oozaru. But Vegeta did, alone. It's like saying Goku didn't achieve SSJB on his own because he needed help to get SSJG which was needed to get SSJB. Well, it's not even the same, because Goku couldn't get SSJG other way, but they could turn into Oozaru easily if only they had tails. Also, Vegeta used fake moon to turn into Oozaru in saiyan saga. It's the same situation.
Isn't that really more of a nitpick about the fans?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm

This seems to be less a nitpicking thread and more “general issues/annoyances people have relating to Dragon Ball content”

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:10 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:57 pm This seems to be less a nitpicking thread and more “general issues/annoyances people have relating to Dragon Ball content”
It feels like a number of these aren't even nitpicks but substantive issues.

sunsetshimmer
I Live Here

Post by sunsetshimmer » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:35 pm

ABED wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:49 pm Isn't that really more of a nitpick about the fans?
That's what i said.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:33 pm

sunsetshimmer wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:35 pm
ABED wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:49 pm Isn't that really more of a nitpick about the fans?
That's what i said.
I assumed this thread was about the actual franchise, not something outside of it.

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Sun Aug 18, 2019 5:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm
True enough.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:32 am

i just watched the first episodes where cell appears and i hate that squeaky walking noise, it's like so minor but it's like, really annoying, lmfao.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am

It's still going. It needs to stop doing that.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 am

The fact that Funimation still pronounces it Capsule CORPS(CORE) instead of CORP with a goddamned P sound. It's short for corporation and is not part of any military so it's technically supposed to be Corp.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

omegacwa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omegacwa » Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:53 am

louisascommie wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 11:26 am Black face is pretty fucked up
There is no black face in dragon ball that I can recall, which would be a non black character wearing makeup to depict themselves as a black person in a racist way. I think what you are referring to is characters like Mr. Popo and Black from the red ribbon army, who are designed with stereotypical, potentially racist features.

I understand that Popo was potentially based of the racist epitaph of "Little Sambo" but I can say from first hand experience as a kid that I did not see him as a black character or racist. I saw him as some kind of genie or mystical character. Does that mean he isn't a racist character? No. But from my point of view I didn't see it that way.

SSJGAffleck
Not-So-Newbie

Post by SSJGAffleck » Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:31 am

But I can see where he's coming from. he did use the wrong terminology but Mr Popo's design is based on a horrible caricature of Black people. He's not a black person in the series, he's a genie but he's still reminiscent of those terrible stereotypes. Do you change his design or get rid of him, probably not because he is a fixed part of the series. Staff Officer Black though? Yeah, that's not cool and I'm glad he got redesigned for the anniversary movie.
"Your father was an average fighter, but a bRiLlIaNt sCiEnTIsT!"- Brian Drummond's pitch-perfect voice

louisascommie
Beyond Newbie

Post by louisascommie » Wed Aug 28, 2019 5:57 pm

it's based off animated black face that appeared in Warner brothers, Fleisher, and Disney cartoons in the first half of the century

Hulk10
Advanced Regular

Post by Hulk10 » Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:35 pm

MasenkoHA wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:12 pm
Your right about that............ ugh.
"We became like friends, we became like good friends." Broly to Cheelai and Lemo about his fur pelt.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:32 am

SSJGAffleck wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:34 am The fact that Funimation still pronounces it Capsule CORPS(CORE) instead of CORP with a goddamned P sound. It's short for corporation and is not part of any military so it's technically supposed to be Corp.
I've never once heard them say "Core" unless you're talking about DBS. In the old dub it was always "Corp"
Rory wrote: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:59 am It's still going. It needs to stop doing that.
Couldn't have said it better myself.