Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Wishes

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Wishes

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:05 am

What do you guys wish to see release this year in celebration of Z's 30th anniversary?

I would love a retelling of the Saiyan arc in a feature-length TV special using Shintani's character designs. Toei does this all the time with older One Piece arcs, so it's about time that Dragon Ball got the same treatment. Seeing these few shots from Super: Broly was what really got me wanting this to happen.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z 30th Anniversary Wishes

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Apr 25, 2019 12:18 am

I would definitely like a TV special retelling of the arc with that style, what an interesting thing considering that DBZ's 30th anniversary itself is just two days away now.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:34 am

I wish for the cancelation of FUNimation's announced BD set... That'd be a great thing.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Apr 25, 2019 5:46 am

sangofe wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 3:34 am I wish for the cancelation of FUNimation's announced BD set... That'd be a great thing.
That would be a good one. I'd also add a Level set comeback.

And definitely OG DB and GT Blu-Rays.

Wouldn't mind a new TV special or movie retelling of the Saiyan arc either, especially if they used Shintani's designs.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 am

Here are my 7 wishes. One for each Dragon Ball.

1. A proper rescoring of DBZ Kai.I don't care if it's putting Kikuchi's score where it was in the Z version of the show (as close as possible) or rescoring it with Sumitomo. I just want something consistent with the tracks made for it instead of the haphazard throwing around of Kikuchi's music like we currently have.

2. A proper Majin Boo arc of Kai like we got for the first iteration of the series. 4:3 format, redrawn scenes (but much better than what they did the first time around), and a great portion of filler cut out such as turning the 67 episode Boo arc into 40 or 35.

3. An ever-so-slightly DNR'd version of the 30th anniversary set Funimation is making. Hardly enough to notice, but enough to remove the grain that was made specifically as a 3rd generation print. It's a wish so even if it can't be done, it can because it's a wish.

4. Converting the first 77 episodes of Super to look like episodes 78-131. What bothers me the most is the inconsistency of the two art styles used in the show.

5. A from-scratch remake of Z using Shintani's art style and the Tournament of Power arc's production values, but minus the filler. Basically, a from-scratch remake of Kai.

6. The level sets to be resumed and completed.

7. Dragon Ball GT to be wiped from existence. All hard copies (DVD, film print, audio masters, VHS) and digital copies to be erased so no one has to do anything but forget what should be forgotten. A complete score release of all of Kikuchi, Tokunaga, Faulconer, Yamamoto, and Shuki Levy's music composed for and used in the series.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:26 am

An official cancellation of the stale-as-hell Super and a continuation of GT with the same Japanese composer.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:05 am

30th Anniversary Blu-ray release to feature the FUNimation RAW footage but honestly, it's what it is.

We're in 2019 and we still see people trying to hate on GT. Don't like it, move on but no need to be a dick about it.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:36 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 amDragon Ball GT to be wiped from existence.
Jord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:26 amAn official cancellation of the stale-as-hell Super.
Can't we all just get along ? :cry:

This topic is to celebrate the greatness that is Z, not fight over whether or not Super puts GT to shame. (it does).
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:40 am

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:36 am
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:54 amDragon Ball GT to be wiped from existence.
Jord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:26 amAn official cancellation of the stale-as-hell Super.

This topic is to celebrate the greatness that is Z, not fight over whether or not Super puts GT to shame. (it does).
You're right.
The best thing we could get this year is a proper home release but that's looking unlikely,.

With that in mind, a special like the One Piece specials mentioned would be cool. Perhaps even better would be a documentary with interviews with the cast, writers, animators etc. Take us through Z's story and get views of Nozawa and co. on the anime, the story etc. That would be extremely interesting.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:54 am

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:36 amCan't we all just get along ? :cry:

Ditto. The Dragon Ball community is already toxic enough as it is and this childishness is really unnecessary.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:56 am

Jord wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:40 amThe best thing we could get this year is a proper home release but that's looking unlikely.
We will...but we'll have to import it from Japan. Funimation have made it clear since...forever that we will never get a proper home release so of someone wants it they might as well just import it from Japan.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 am

sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:56 amWe will...but we'll have to import it from Japan. Funimation have made it clear since...forever that we will never get a proper home release so of someone wants it they might as well just import it from Japan.
Green tint and DNR'd is your definition of a "proper home release"? :P Because that's what TOEI has done for DBZ TV SP1 and TV SP2 while the movies actually got a proper HD remaster.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:26 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 amGreen tint and DNR'd is your definition of a "proper home release"? :P Because that's what TOEI has done for DBZ TV SP1 and TV SP2.
I had no idea they did that. I just assumed they looked like the movies. I guess you can import the dragon box DVD singles from Japan. It's a shame that DB has all these troubled releases while other anime don't. I wish these companies would leave it alone and release it as is.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:28 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:13 am
sintzu wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:56 amWe will...but we'll have to import it from Japan. Funimation have made it clear since...forever that we will never get a proper home release so of someone wants it they might as well just import it from Japan.
Green tint and DNR'd is your definition of a "proper home release"? :P Because that's what TOEI has done for DBZ TV SP1 and TV SP2 while the movies actually got a proper HD remaster.
DBZ movie 6 had the greent tint too. TOEI's new remasters are a mixed bag leaning towards great. When you take out the censorship I'd say they are mostly near perfection with a few exceptions.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Plague-Memories
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Plague-Memories » Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:05 am

Full color release of the manga in North America.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:06 am

Plague-Memories wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:05 am Full color release of the manga in North America.
We already have 8 volumes so hopefully they'll continue them one day. The longer we go without any the more likely we are to not get anymore which is a shame.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Apr 26, 2019 4:07 pm

-An update from FUNimation that they have heard our complaints and are improving the 30th anniversary Blu-rays
-A Shintani style TV retelling of the Saiyan arc
-An English Kanzenban announcement (but I would settle for a Full Color manga announcement)
-An anime continuation announcement (using the Shintani style)

Not much difference from what others have said, but I would be over the moon if even one of these were announced.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Learn to take a joke dude. There's a reason I had a strike through it =P

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:21 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:09 pm

Learn to take a joke dude. There's a reason I had a strike through it =P
You should take your own advice.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Fri Apr 26, 2019 6:36 pm

For Adult Swim to put the OG Funi/Ocean broadcasts of DBZ back on the air!
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!