Backing Up Dragon Ball DVDs and Blu-rays 2.0

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Backing Up Dragon Ball DVDs and Blu-rays 2.0

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 01, 2019 7:44 am

I decided to revive one of the threads that was posted here on Monday but then subsequently went down the drain with others up then during the forum's technical issues within the course of the last day. Here is a brand new version of it so the conversation can be continued on from where the other one was prior to the rather unfortunate down time, and so of course this is related to what the first thread was discussing which was different types programs and ways of backing up/ripping and storage of DB related DVDs and/or Blu-rays for viewing use. Technical processes and such for these former are of course a part of it.

Anyways, carry on with the discussion.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Thu May 02, 2019 1:37 am, edited 5 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Backing Up DVDs and Blu-rays 2.0

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 11:09 am

For my part, I use [PROGRAM NOT MENTIONED] to get rid of the encryption and then DVD Shrink to rip the contents of it. To edit it into T1C I use tsMuxeR GUI to extract the 5.1 English Audio and then HeadAC3he to convert it into a .WAV file that my editor can work with.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:02 pm

For DVDs...
DVD Decrypter to rip the main tracks from a given DVD; either each episode, or the full movie, from a disc, and any/all bonus features individually.
Then, I just encode it with MeGUI to x264, using CRF-based encoding, set to either 17, 17.5, or 18, with anything fancy I need doing done with shenanigans involving Avisynth or weird MKV stuff. (Avisyth can do basically anything, but for stuff like ordered chapters/branching, separate MKV files are the way to go) Audio is left untouched.
And of course, the final step is to mux everything nicely with MKVToolNix, one of the best utilities in the world.

Blu-rays are huge and unwieldy to mess with, so I just leave those on disc.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed May 01, 2019 12:06 pm

DVD Decrypter and MakeMKV are what I use to back up my DVDs and BRDs. Nothing more need be done than just ripping the raw contents of the discs themselves. Rather than store them on my hard drives, I opt to just copy them to backup discs. I don't need 30GB Blu-ray rips eating up my HDD space.

EDIT: For ripping and converting to individual episodes, MediaCoder does an excellent job on Blu-rays. Carries all the subtitles and everything.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm

what's the point on talking about it here? there's plenty of video forum that allow you and with lot of technicians to help you doing backup
what will be the next topic?
- How to make cookies?

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm what's the point on talking about it here? there's plenty of video forum that allow you and with lot of technicians to help you doing backup
- How to make cookies?
Well it's certainly more worthy of a post than a poor attempt at humor by posting a bad Goku sketch in the 30th Anniversary thread and saying it's from the art book. That added absolutely nothing to the discussion and frankly wasn't funny. So, pot meet kettle I suppose.

Anyway, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss this here. There are certain questions that are bound to arise that simply don't in a standard video forum on the same subject. Things like adding dubs and subtitles from one Dragon Ball release to another, re-timing said dubs and subtitles to fit, etc. The original thread that was deleted due to the maintenance yesterday was very specifically about Dragon Ball media and the best way to back it up, convert it, edit it, etc. This is simply a continuation of that discussion.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:30 pm what's the point on talking about it here? there's plenty of video forum that allow you and with lot of technicians to help you doing backup
- How to make cookies?
Well it's certainly more worthy of a post than a poor attempt at humor by posting a bad Goku sketch in the 30th Anniversary thread and saying it's from the art book. That added absolutely nothing to the discussion and frankly wasn't funny. So, pot meet kettle I suppose.

Anyway, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss this here. There are certain questions that are bound to arise that simply don't in a standard video forum on the same subject. Things like adding dubs and subtitles from one Dragon Ball release to another, re-timing said dubs and subtitles to fit, etc. The original thread that was deleted due to the maintenance yesterday was very specifically about Dragon Ball media and the best way to back it up, convert it, edit it, etc. This is simply a continuation of that discussion.
The draw was ironical, i joke about thoses pathetical guys that waste money in poor tricky release with stupid justifications like "if we don't buy, we'll never get any 4/3 release anymore" or others stupid theories. If you didn't laugh, i don't care, it wasn't the goal

About this topic, of course not, this forum is against piracy, talking about how to copy, so beat all protections is exactly like giving a a piracy website download link and say "oh to all people that buyed the dragon ball super bluray rip and want a digital copy, here is the link" anyone understand that this topic is more about piracy or editing than talking about "fanprojects"

so yes, it is stupid to discuss this kind of things in a forum against piracy , more when there is plenty of far better place to get the best answers.

topics like color correction, don't say anything about how to beat any kind of protection, it supposed you already have files into your HDD no matter it's recordings, dvd backup , bluray backup or anything else

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 pm

Forte224 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:41 pm Anyway, it is perfectly reasonable to discuss this here. There are certain questions that are bound to arise that simply don't in a standard video forum on the same subject. Things like adding dubs and subtitles from one Dragon Ball release to another, re-timing said dubs and subtitles to fit, etc. The original thread that was deleted due to the maintenance yesterday was very specifically about Dragon Ball media and the best way to back it up, convert it, edit it, etc. This is simply a continuation of that discussion.
Indeed.

And actually, that's something I probably should have touched on in my previous post...

This stuff is difficult to do, but definitely possible. Putting dubs on from one release to another usually requires some MKVToolNix work for splitting, then Audacity to figure out the exact points of the split, how much delay needs to be put on each segment to sync it up then in MKVToolNix, put that delay on each segment, then combine it all into one audio track, and mux that into the main episode file.
A bit time consuming, but works a charm, and results in no quality loss.

Subtitles can be a bit of a bugger; best thing if you can't just set a delay on the VobSubs to get them to perfectly fit is to OCR the subtitles to SRT format (DVDSubExtractor is probably the best program for this), and sync up each segment of an episode to the video roughly using the various tools in something like Aegisub. Doesn't have to be perfect; DVD subtitles are never all that precisely timed anyway.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 pm About this topic, of course not, this forum is against piracy, talking about how to copy, so beat all protections is exactly like giving a a piracy website download link and say "oh to all people that buyed the dragon ball super bluray rip and want a digital copy, here is the link" anyone understand that this topic is more about piracy or editing than talking about "fanprojects"

so yes, it is stupid to discuss this kind of things in a forum against piracy , more when there is plenty of far better place to get the best answers.

topics like color correction, don't say anything about how to beat any kind of protection, it supposed you already have files into your HDD no matter it's recordings, dvd backup , bluray backup or anything else
If you're pirating, you don't need to worry about copy protection, etc. because you'll be downloading an already-ripped, set-up file that needs no further tampering.

If you're having to deal with copy protection, syncing up dubs from different DVDs, etc., you're almost certainly working with your own DVDs, and backing up your own copies of this stuff is generally okay to do.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 12:56 pm
If you're pirating, you don't need to worry about copy protection, etc. because you'll be downloading an already-ripped, set-up file that needs no further tampering.

If you're having to deal with copy protection, syncing up dubs from different DVDs, etc., you're almost certainly working with your own DVDs, and backing up your own copies of this stuff is generally okay to do.
Only if you download things, you can copy a dvd or a bluray from a friend, or using rental one. The first online illegal release allways come from a legal source and need to be rip whatever the source (tv, web, dvd, vhs, bluray) so it's like helping people to do piracy. Not that i am against piracy, when i see Funimation future release and countless others movies dvd, bluray etc where no effort is put (like the first lord of the ring director's cut bluray with big green tint) i am for fan project that allow people doing properly and with caring, what legal industry don't care so fuck to them.

- Color correction Topic discuss the color grading process, it don't provide anything more, it's more about color accuracy and how to get thoses color
- Fanproject yamamoto revival only provide fanaudios that build something that didn't exist with yamamoto plagiarize, so this things can be understood

What i want to say is that talking about how to rip dvd, bluray, edit them to add audios and subs is like explaining how to download amazon prime video etc, it can't be assimilate to any kind of general discussion about dragon ball
Sharing things that don't exist legally or things in that kind of goal like people that work for all BGM is understandable, if legal companies don't want to released them or did the things properly then fuck to them, but here it's like "how doing a bootleg"

anyway it's a dragon ball fans forum, not a technical dvd, bluray rip forums fans forum, it's like saying how to rip CD or create Homemade bgm CD release
There is far better place where you'll probably get far better informations, or this forum need a technical sub forum where the legal limit will be reach

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm

- How to make cookies?
Because he knows that we'll be able to give him the info he wants, and in the case of Robo he was able to get some very pertinent information regarding some quirks on the later Dragon Box discs. Calm down, man.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm anyway it's a dragon ball fans forum, not a technical dvd, bluray rip forums fans forum
In that case we can't talk about Vic. This is a Dragon Ball forum, not a VA forum.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:17 pm
- How to make cookies?
Because he knows that we'll be able to give him the info he wants, and in the case of Robo he was able to get some very pertinent information regarding some quirks on the later Dragon Box discs. Calm down, man.
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 1:21 pm anyway it's a dragon ball fans forum, not a technical dvd, bluray rip forums fans forum
In that case we can't talk about Vic. This is a Dragon Ball forum, not a VA forum.
Vic is a dragon ball voice actor, it's related to dragon ball

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 4:55 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm Vic is a dragon ball voice actor, it's related to dragon ball
And SuperSaiyaManZ94 is trying to rip Dragon Ball DVDs.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed May 01, 2019 5:14 pm

KBABZ wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:55 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 4:47 pm Vic is a dragon ball voice actor, it's related to dragon ball
And SuperSaiyaManZ94 is trying to rip Dragon Ball DVDs.
but this forum rules are against piracy, talking about rumor is not illegal unlike remove protection and rip dvd

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed May 01, 2019 5:37 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 5:14 pm but this forum rules are against piracy, talking about rumor is not illegal unlike remove protection and rip dvd
I specifically did not mention the program I use to actually crack the disc's security; if you can't get past that step, you can't do the following ones. It'd be up to SuperSaiya to figure out how to do that outside of these forums. IMO, this topic is pertinent overall for personal preservation of one's collection, especially if it's something like either region of Dragon Boxes, or something like the old Single DVDs.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed May 01, 2019 6:15 pm

As to what HakkaiBills is going on about there with regard to piracy and such, i am specifically doing it as KBABZ said for the sake of preservation of my own collection especially my FUNi Z Dragon Boxes without scratching the discs themselves all to hell from one too many viewings in the DVD player. It is just for my own personal use which is actually not piracy unlike say making bootlegs/pirate copies of films or selling your personal rips for money.

Again, what i am doing is just straight rips of the DVDs for personal viewing purposes only, no more no less.
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Wed May 01, 2019 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Derf

Post by Derf » Wed May 01, 2019 6:39 pm

I use makeMKV to rip the discs to MKV, then Don Melton's excellent, excellent video_transcoding Ruby Gem. They result in a truly excellent (and reasonably sized!) files, perfect for my PLeX server.

https://github.com/donmelton/video_transcoding

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: Backing Up Dragon Ball DVDs and Blu-rays 2.0

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu May 02, 2019 4:30 pm

• DVDFab to rip untouched DVDs and Blu-rays.
• UltraISO if the DVD is unable to be ripped to video files.
• MKV Toolnix to mux audio, video, subs, cover and more.
• PgcDemux to extract video/audio/sub files from DVDs.

I love using DVDFab, very convenient and works almost always (then use UltraISO).

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Sun May 05, 2019 8:20 pm

MKVToolNix has proven to be an easy tool to use for splitting the episodes up on my later FUNi Dragon Box Z volumes, as well as all my GT singles, Blue Bricks and Kai Part volumes which all read as the long movie length files in MakeMKV. This definitely makes it easier for me to have them all separated out into the individual episodes themselves in both sub and sub audio tracks, as opposed to the 1 to 2 hour long files with all of them mashed together which can get very taxing to watch sometimes.

Another plus about using the program is the individual episodes take up a lot less space on my computer and hard drive in comparison to those initial movie length files, so ToolNix is definitely a great way to go for that.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:31 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:20 pm MKVToolNix has proven to be an easy tool to use for splitting the episodes up on my later FUNi Dragon Box Z volumes, as well as all my GT singles, Blue Bricks and Kai Part volumes which all read as the long movie length files in MakeMKV. This definitely makes it easier for me to have them all separated out into the individual episodes themselves in both sub and sub audio tracks, as opposed to the 1 to 2 hour long files with all of them mashed together which can get very taxing to watch sometimes.

Another plus about using the program is the individual episodes take up a lot less space on my computer and hard drive in comparison to those initial movie length files, so ToolNix is definitely a great way to go for that.
You can do the same kind of thing in DVD Decrypter too, by going into IFO mode, selecting the PCG containing all the episodes, and unticking all the boxes except for the chapters containing the first episode before ripping, then uncheck those and check the ones containing the second episode before ripping that, etc.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon May 06, 2019 6:35 am

Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:31 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Sun May 05, 2019 8:20 pm MKVToolNix has proven to be an easy tool to use for splitting the episodes up on my later FUNi Dragon Box Z volumes, as well as all my GT singles, Blue Bricks and Kai Part volumes which all read as the long movie length files in MakeMKV. This definitely makes it easier for me to have them all separated out into the individual episodes themselves in both sub and sub audio tracks, as opposed to the 1 to 2 hour long files with all of them mashed together which can get very taxing to watch sometimes.

You can do the same kind of thing in DVD Decrypter too, by going into IFO mode, selecting the PCG containing all the episodes, and unticking all the boxes except for the chapters containing the first episode before ripping, then uncheck those and check the ones containing the second episode before ripping that, etc.
Yeah, i basically just entered the time code marks for the individual episodes in the one part and separated them out that way and it worked good there too.