Green Tint and the Japanese Blu-ray of Super Broly

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Green Tint and the Japanese Blu-ray of Super Broly

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Thu May 02, 2019 4:27 pm

We all know that Manga UK's version doesn't have green tint on Super Broly but what about the upcoming Japanese Blu-ray?

I don't get why there's even green tint on Super Broly and the newly remastered DBZ TV Specials. You could say TOEI fucked Kai TFC with green tint by not calibrating the monitor(s) correctly but the more recent stuff? There has to be a reason.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Re: Green Tint and the Japanese Blu-ray of Super Broly

Post by Forte224 » Thu May 02, 2019 4:52 pm

It isn't out yet so we could not possibly know. Unless someone from Japan got an early copy and posted pics. But we would probably know about that by now. From what it seems, Manga UK lucked out and don't have the green tint. I imagine every other release will, including the Japanese one. But who knows?

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 02, 2019 6:43 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Thu May 02, 2019 4:27 pm We all know that Manga UK's version doesn't have green tint on Super Broly but what about the upcoming Japanese Blu-ray?

I don't get why there's even green tint on Super Broly and the newly remastered DBZ TV Specials. You could say TOEI fucked Kai TFC with green tint by not calibrating the monitor(s) correctly but the more recent stuff? There has to be a reason.
I believe the Japanese Blu-Ray was what the FUNi Blu-Ray was compared to in the first place.

Akamay
Beyond Newbie

Post by Akamay » Thu May 02, 2019 7:03 pm

Wouldn't the home release have the same quality as the promotional material?
If the Japanese trailers for the home release don't have the green tint it would mean that it's not part of the original source, no?

I cannot say anything about the theatrical release since it would be impossible to compare them without having access to the files that the movie theaters got.
Still, I remember seeing a leak from the American screening and it had the green tint on it.

Also, don't we have the digital amazon releases? Or are those gonna be released later in Japan as well?
I've tried looking it up myself, but I couldn't find any info about that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 am

No way to know for sure, but I would hope it doesn't as it would be a big slap in the face to the fans that supported Super Broly in the cinema. Its just unfortunate Funimation's release suffered that fate.

It's worth noting Manga UK outsourced to Visual Data London to do the authoring for Super Broly, so maybe any distributors that also worked with them will have the tint fixed.

Apparently the Dutch Blu-Ray from Periscoop film will have the English and Japanese audio options with English subtitles so that may be worth importing for fans outside the UK if it doesn't have the green tint.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:11 am

it's not the fist time, on the japanese limited dvd of the episode of berdock and plan to destroy the super saiyan, there was also a green tint unlike XBOX release or French release

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 amApparently the Dutch Blu-ray from Periscoop film will have the English and Japanese audio options with English subtitles so that may be worth importing for fans outside the UK if it doesn't have the green tint.
That's kind of strange but makes sense since they had the Ocean Dub and Big Green Dub. Hopefully that's true because FUNimation's English dub of Super Broly is phenomenal.

Scavenger

Post by Scavenger » Fri May 03, 2019 11:07 am

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:19 am
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 8:09 amApparently the Dutch Blu-ray from Periscoop film will have the English and Japanese audio options with English subtitles so that may be worth importing for fans outside the UK if it doesn't have the green tint.
That's kind of strange but makes sense since they had the Ocean Dub and Big Green Dub. Hopefully that's true because FUNimation's English dub of Super Broly is phenomenal.
We received regular/4DX/IMAX screenings of the English dub and regular/4DX screenings of the original Japanese version.

English subs are mentioned in the listing on Bol.com, but it could be wrong. Anyway, I'll be dissecting the Dutch Blu-ray once it comes out. Hopefully the encoding is better than on their lackluster Your Name BD, which had the wrong gamma and a lowish video bitrate.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 am

Wasnt there a copy floating around of FUNi's theatrical copy (where the good quality english audio came from for other rips) that had a green tint to it?

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 am Wasnt there a copy floating around of FUNi's theatrical copy (where the good quality english audio came from for other rips) that had a green tint to it?
Yes, and fans tried their best attempts to remove the green tint.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Fri May 03, 2019 2:01 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:11 pm
eledoremassis02 wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 11:29 am Wasnt there a copy floating around of FUNi's theatrical copy (where the good quality english audio came from for other rips) that had a green tint to it?
Yes, and fans tried their best attempts to remove the green tint.
Thats what I thought...I dont remember people complaining about the tint in theatres , tho I didnt really step in that forum to avoid spoilers. I ended up buying the film used for 8 bucks so i'll see how bad it is without having a comparison right next to it.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm

Why did Funi get a green tint in the first place? Did any employee in Toei not notice this before sending the tapes to Funi?

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Tue May 07, 2019 9:28 am

superfan2024 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 9:48 pm Why did Funi get a green tint in the first place? Did any employee in Toei not notice this before sending the tapes to Funi?
Here's my theory, which I believe is essentially the same as what Ajay suggested was the case on Twitter:

The cinema masters of the Broly movie, which run at 24fps exactly (not the more common home video standard of 23.976023976023976... fps), had a filter mistakenly applied that shifted the thing green (or perhaps they were watching it on some improperly-calibrated monitors and decided to "fix it", as is a somewhat-common theory for how Kai TFC and the Toei HD movie masters were screwed up), and that was what Toei sent to Funi.

Other companies such as MangaUK were sent the home video master, which runs at 23.976...fps, and didn't have the process applied that shifted the thing green.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm

I also noticed the English dub sounded a lot more dynamic compared to the Japanese track on the Funi Blu-ray. I think I'm gonna have to buy the Hong Kong Blu-ray if I have the time and extra money for it. Woulda bought the Hong Kong Blu-ray release of Resurrection F too. At least, they got a 3D Blu-ray release.
The world is your's.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 pm

tinlunlau wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm I also noticed the English dub sounded a lot more dynamic compared to the Japanese track on the Funi Blu-ray. I think I'm gonna have to buy the Hong Kong Blu-ray if I have the time and extra money for it. Woulda bought the Hong Kong Blu-ray release of Resurrection F too. At least, they got a 3D Blu-ray release.
Does that require a 3DTV or just some 3D glasses for non-3DTVs?

I tried 3D with the 3DS (Mario Kart 7, Smash 4) and on the theater (Jurassic World) but I wasn't really wowed as I'd hoped.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Wed May 08, 2019 4:28 pm

I would just like to restate for emphasis how utterly fucking stupid this issue is. Like, what a needlessly invented problem out of nothing.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

tinlunlau
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by tinlunlau » Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm

Cursed Lemon wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 4:28 pm I would just like to restate for emphasis how utterly fucking stupid this issue is. Like, what a needlessly invented problem out of nothing.
It is quite a big deal actually. Remember when Spirited Away came out to dvd in Japan and everyone complained about the red tint on the Japanese and eventually even the Hong Kong dvd? Took months for Disney to rectify the problem. I remember that red tint stuck out like a sore thumb.

JohnnyCashKami wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 3:48 pm
tinlunlau wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 2:16 pm I also noticed the English dub sounded a lot more dynamic compared to the Japanese track on the Funi Blu-ray. I think I'm gonna have to buy the Hong Kong Blu-ray if I have the time and extra money for it. Woulda bought the Hong Kong Blu-ray release of Resurrection F too. At least, they got a 3D Blu-ray release.
Does that require a 3DTV or just some 3D glasses for non-3DTVs?

I tried 3D with the 3DS (Mario Kart 7, Smash 4) and on the theater (Jurassic World) but I wasn't really wowed as I'd hoped.
3D TV is required.
The world is your's.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Thu May 09, 2019 12:41 am

tinlunlau wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:54 pm
It is quite a big deal actually. Remember when Spirited Away came out to dvd in Japan and everyone complained about the red tint on the Japanese and eventually even the Hong Kong dvd? Took months for Disney to rectify the problem. I remember that red tint stuck out like a sore thumb.
That's what I meant, the fact that we have to deal with this because some uber genius thought putting a green filter over everything would be a good idea is moronic.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:15 am

As a note, I tried viewing those screenshots, and I got a pop-up, a big ad splash image, AND my anti-virus blocked a web attack. DO NOT view any of those images.