Why did Toei change Broly’s hair color?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Why did Toei change Broly’s hair color?

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Sat May 04, 2019 12:27 pm

I don’t mind the changes, but it wasn’t necessary. In fact, the old Bandai figures had him with gold hair, not green :think:.

So, why the change?

Original Broadcast TV Preview:

Theater & Home Release:

Bandai Super Battle Collection Vol.10:

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Sat May 04, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Big Boss
Regular

Re: Why did Toei change Broly’s hair color?

Post by Big Boss » Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 pm

Probably to make Broly's transformation seem more unique and menacing compared to the typical SSJ transformation. Makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat May 04, 2019 2:45 pm

Big Boss wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 pm Probably to make Broly's transformation seem more unique and menacing compared to the typical SSJ transformation. Makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.
Agreed. Would add to make it more original as well.

Green Super Saiyan hair is kinda cool especially on Broli. We had a consistent Blue Super Saiyan form in Dragon Ball Super but that was already made before in the 2008 OVA. To be fair, the blue hair of OVA 2008 was cyan whereas Super is standard blue.

Oh, and there too was a Red Super Saiyan way before BoG, it was the Kaioh-Ken technique.

Guessing we'll eventually see something like this:
For some reason that reminds me of MLP and I don't even watch or care about that.

Desassina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Desassina » Sat May 04, 2019 3:10 pm

Perhaps he felt a bit like Super Trunks 2 and needed something more to distinguish himself. It makes more sense now for a green Super Saiyan to exist with the other forms in DBS. It's an ill coloured transformation that I like to justify with lost balance, because Trunks joined yellow and cyan in equilibrium, while Goku was in harmony with a magenta God form. You can get green by mixing Trunks's colours or by witnessing the after image of magenta.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun May 05, 2019 1:42 am

That's just the Gold Hair Version of the toy. Normally he had yellow hair just like all the Super Saiyans, but also, each Super Saiyan had a special Gold Hair Version too.

Toei just loves the color green. From tinting DB green on all its releases to givving Seto Kaiba from Yu-Gi-Oh! green hair in their adaption.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Sun May 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Big Boss wrote: Sat May 04, 2019 2:08 pm Probably to make Broly's transformation seem more unique and menacing compared to the typical SSJ transformation. Makes perfect sense from a marketing standpoint.
I think the same. And they did the same for a bit with Goku and Vegeta's transformations in this movie.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 06, 2019 10:39 am

I actually like the way he looks with blonde hair. It makes him look more like an evil Super Saiyan. Okay he kind of looks like that anyway, but the blonde really suits him.

I also remember his hair turning blonde during the final scene in Movie 8, and during his battle with Gohan in Movie 10.

And there were really early Budokai 3 screenshots were he had blonde hair instead of green;
https://www.neoseeker.com/forums/20599/ ... -question/

That was only for the very early screenshots though, as even the first trailer for the game had him with green hair. It seems to be a curious trend were they keep changing their mind about what colour his hair should be.

superfan2024
Regular

Post by superfan2024 » Mon May 06, 2019 9:46 pm

What was the point of giving Broly green hair when he was just going to go back to blonde in the end of the first Broly film and in the entirety of the second Broly film?

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon May 06, 2019 10:03 pm

Yama'uchi Shigeyasu likes using changing color palettes to express ideas. Also, keep in mind that the movies were typically colored by outside studios due to their lack of time.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf