Super Dragon Ball Heroes (Manga) Discussion Thread

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Super Dragon Ball Heroes (Manga) Discussion Thread

Post by Cipher » Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 pm

I'm making the bold choice to pull this out of the ongoing greater Super Dragon Ball Heroes thread, since it involves a piece of self-contained spin-off media I think deserves its own discussion. I'd also like a more focused spot on the forums for myself and other fans to offer translations and summaries related to the series where they won't be immediately drowned out by game update discussion.

What is the Super Dragon Ball Heroes manga?

Super Dragon Ball Heroes, the manga, consists of two ongoing serializations in Shueisha's bimonthly Saikyō Jump, both written and drawn by Yoshitaka Nagayama. Both adapt story lines original to the Super Dragon Ball Heroes arcade game. The first series, subtitled Dark Demon Realm Mission!, adapts story lines including the arcade game's "Dark Demon Realm Invasion arc" (DBH), "Dark Empire arc" (SDBH), and "Dark King Mechickaboola arc" (SDBH, ongoing), with some elements drawn from the story mode of the Ultimate Mission X 3DS port. It covers the exploits of the Time Patrol, consisting of alternate versions of core Dragon Ball characters, in their battle against the time-and-space altering Dark Demon Realm. It initially ran for ten issues (eleven chapters with an extra chapter in its second collected volume), before being replaced in serialization by Universe Mission. Dark Demon Realm Mission! returned one year later in the May 2019 issue of Saikyō Jump, beginning the two series' simultaneous publication.

Universe Mission adapts story lines focusing on versions of characters closer to their core series, Dragon Ball Super counterparts, which currently covers the "Prison Planet arc" and its direct sequel, the "Universal Conflict arc." These story lines are also adapted into the Super Dragon Ball Heroes promotional anime.

Both series are currently unreleased outside of Japan.

Doesn't Toyotarō draw the Dragon Ball Heroes manga?

Dragon Ball Super manga artist Toyotarō authored a Dragon Ball Heroes series titled Victory Mission in Shueisha's V-Jump magazine from September 2012 to December 2014. The two series feature substantially different takes on the Dragon Ball Heroes world, and share no continuity with one another. You can learn more about Victory Mission by visiting its page on Kanzenshuu, here, or listening to Kanzenshuu podcast episode #0471. (For transparency, I am a guest on it, but I don't know of any other comprehensive postmortems.)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To kick things off/get at the impetus for making this thread, here are two recent translations/details from the first collected volume of Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Universe Mission, released earlier this week in Japan:

Yoshitaka Nagayama's Universe Mission Vol. 1 self-introductory blurb:

In the back of the volume, Nagayama also dedicates two pages to special thanks in comic-book format. The special thanks are as follows:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway, have at. Feel free to post general reactions to the series, ask questions about things like differences between its version of events and the game's/promotional anime's (several knowledgeable members can probably answer a number of these off the top of their heads), discuss Nagayama as an author/artist, comment on oddities like Putine's bust size being reduced between the original serialization and collected books (yes, really; this series is not a paragon of good taste), etc.
Last edited by Cipher on Mon May 06, 2019 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Re: Super Dragon Ball Heroes (Manga) Discussion Thread

Post by Rakurai » Mon May 06, 2019 4:48 am

I like the idea of having a separate thread for the manga. I think it would also be constructive to share translations of the manga around here as well so that people can at least read them when they find this thread.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon May 06, 2019 6:01 am

Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission! and Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Universe Mission are manga series illustrated by Yoshitaka Nagayama, who debuted in November 2013 with Dragon Ball Heroes: Rookie Charisma Mission Episode 0 in the supplemental Dragon Ball Heroes Entry Book 0 packed in with the December 2013 issue of Shueisha's Saikyō Jump magazine.

The two series were/are serialized in the actual Saikyō Jump magazine (along with Charisma Mission, which turned into its own series along the way). Saikyō Jump is currently a bimonthly anthology (released the first weekend of every other month) that serializes promotional and spin-off manga for various series. To learn more about the various magazines Shueisha publishes, please check out this 2017 post; while some things have changed since then (mostly with regard to what series are currently running), the vast majority of the information holds true still. The magazine's primary audience is younger than that of their other magazines:
For Saikyō Jump, 58.5% of readers are in upper elementary school, 28% are in lower middle school, 11% are in middle school, and 2.5% are in high school or older.
Saikyō Jump is an interesting beast: it's smaller in height than you might think (it's somewhere between the height of an issue of V-Jump and a standard manga volume), but it's a monster in terms of width.

Much like Weekly Shōnen Jump, the various manga series within are printed on different colored, low-quality newsprint-style paper.

The various Super Dragon Ball Heroes manga (and some other Dragon Ball series before it, such as Dragon Ball Fusions the Manga!!) are typically printed on the blue-ish paper.

The two Super Dragon Ball Heroes series occasionally get pull-out poster or double-page full color chapter title spreads, which are either replaced or cropped for their collected release later on:

Three collected volumes are currently available:
  • Dark Demon Realm Mission Vol. 1 came out in May 2017 covering the first five chapters (read our news post)
  • Dark Demon Realm Mission Vol. 2 came out in May 2018 covering the next five chapters and one new chapter... which was inserted between what was previously the 9th and 10th chapters (read our news post)
  • Universe Mission Vol. 1 came out in in May 2019 covering its own first five chapters (news story forthcoming)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Lek
Beyond Newbie

Post by Lek » Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 am

Carlsen has recently announced a collected volume of Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission for the German market in their upcoming program preview: on page 41 of the program

The 176-page first anthology of the series will be released in March 2020 and includes the first five chapters of the Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm! series, the first three missions of Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Ultimate Charisma Mission!! and the extra story "Ultimate" "Super" Heroes Character

They also state in their program, that is has been requested by fans.

(Source: Bratpfannenberg.com)

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon May 06, 2019 6:30 am

Lek wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:24 am Carlsen has recently announced a collected volume of Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission for the German market in their upcoming program preview: on page 41 of the program
Interesting. Correct me if I'm wrong, but is this the first official international release of the series?

People should probably be bugging Viz about a North American release while the World Mission iron is hot...

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Mon May 06, 2019 3:54 pm

Thanks for this, I think the whole heroes XV stuff is underated.

And the manga seems more coherent and better power scaled than the anime too. (Just like the super manga don't @me) and the games obviously put gameplay over narrative.

The only downside is how long chapters take to release.

I really hope we get a western collected release. I mean we got “reincarnated as Yamcha” over in the UK so....
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Mon May 06, 2019 11:08 pm

TheRed259 wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 11:09 am Where can we legally read the Heroes manga or at least read summaries (by fans) of each chapter?
The r/dbz reddit wiki has all the Demon realm chapters translated. They also have most of the Prison Planet chapters translated.
Super Dragon Ball Heroes Universe Mission translation compilation here. All translations are done and owned by me.

SDBH 9th anniversary the secret development interview here. Learn how original SDBH characters such as SS3 Raditz, SS4 Bardock, Robel, & more were conceived!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm

I've always been curious about how much freedom Nagayama has to deviate from the game's plots with his manga. For example, during Prison Planet he decided to cut Cumber's tail something that didn't happen neither in the anime nor the game. Since he later had to give Cumber a tail made of evil ki and later drop a offhand mention he had his tail reattached. Is clear he made a mistake by cutting Cumber's tail.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Fri May 10, 2019 5:41 am

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: Thu May 09, 2019 12:26 pm I've always been curious about how much freedom Nagayama has to deviate from the game's plots with his manga. For example, during Prison Planet he decided to cut Cumber's tail something that didn't happen neither in the anime nor the game. Since he later had to give Cumber a tail made of evil ki and later drop a offhand mention he had his tail reattached. Is clear he made a mistake by cutting Cumber's tail.
Since I've been playing World Mission and its arcade campaigns for the first time, I've been really surprised by just how much freedom he seems to have, based on how he's handled the Dark Demon Realm content. He deviates in the Prison Planet arc too, but in that first arc especially, he takes massive liberties with what characters are where, and even how things like the Dragon Ball-infected villains are used, resulting a much more coherent story. (Which is kind of remarkable, since the manga isn't all that coherent either.)

Since he seems to do a lot more the the personalities of both the Xeno characters and Heroes originals like the Demon Gods as well, it seems like he has ... a pretty surprising amount of creative leeway, given the heavily promotional nature of the book. Though obviously he's beholden generally to the outline of each arcade storyline, and timing the content of chapters to key plot points from each new update.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Thu May 30, 2019 10:06 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm

So Gogeta GT and Gogeta Xeno finally met.

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri May 31, 2019 12:19 am

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 11:42 pm So Gogeta GT and Gogeta Xeno finally met.
Yeah it’s pretty crazy. Now we just need all three Gogetas in the same panel for max crossover madness.

Also, according to the leaker のあと, Pan appears at the end. She seems to be wondering where she is... oh crap are we finally getting a Xeno Pan?!

Dark_Tzitzimine
Regular

Post by Dark_Tzitzimine » Fri May 31, 2019 2:35 pm

https://twitter.com/Cipher_db/status/11 ... 9989469184

Interesting choice of words from Gogeta Xeno

EDIT:

Oh man, did Pan end with the Time Patrol?

https://twitter.com/boltusunsyou/status ... 6269323264

Zamasu55
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Zamasu55 » Fri May 31, 2019 5:48 pm

Still no Jiren, uh?
Anyway, God Toppo is coming. :mrgreen:

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Fri May 31, 2019 7:02 pm

Dark_Tzitzimine wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 2:35 pm
Oh man, did Pan end with the Time Patrol?
I would find it supremely hilarious if Pan ACCIDENTALLY joined the Time Patrol.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 pm

@Cipher, you mentioned that it's XGogeta who says he's not weak enough to let himself get absorbed. Are you sure about that? I get the feeling that it's GT Gogeta who says it after he separates from Fin. Since he said something similar in the arcade.

Well, regardless I really can't wait for the chapter raws/summaries. Both stories seem to be getting more interesting. And damn, Glass literally turning people into glass! This must be the 'glassification' that's part of her bio.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 am

Rakurai wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 10:48 pm @Cipher, you mentioned that it's XGogeta who says he's not weak enough to let himself get absorbed. Are you sure about that? I get the feeling that it's GT Gogeta who says it after he separates from Fin. Since he said something similar in the arcade.

Well, regardless I really can't wait for the chapter raws/summaries. Both stories seem to be getting more interesting. And damn, Glass literally turning people into glass! This must be the 'glassification' that's part of her bio.
I've seen the entire leaked page now and got ahead of myself with an assumption about panel sequence.

I'll be summarizing the whole chapters when they're out (which I think might even be today; currently running other errands). Apologies for the mistake.

Re: Pan: She was there during the fight against possessed GT characters as well. She sucker-punches Gohan (who recognizes her, for anyone keeping notes on how much the "Xeno" characters' backstories do or don't resemble GT).

However, the side text on that last page implies she was accidentally transported through space-time along with the Time Patrol, so ... seems like we can look forward to at least one more chapter of her, I guess!

Rakurai
Advanced Regular

Post by Rakurai » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:17 am

Cipher wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:44 am I've seen the entire leaked page now and got ahead of myself with an assumption about panel sequence.

I'll be summarizing the whole chapters when they're out (which I think might even be today; currently running other errands). Apologies for the mistake.

Re: Pan: She was there during the fight against possessed GT characters as well. She sucker-punches Gohan (who recognizes her, for anyone keeping notes on how much the "Xeno" characters' backstories do or don't resemble GT).

However, the side text on that last page implies she was accidentally transported through space-time along with the Time Patrol, so ... seems like we can look forward to at least one more chapter of her, I guess!
Nice, thanks for clearing that up!

In the meanwhile, more leaks in a sort of panel action format (SFX and some voiceover included!).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpc8-0Eg1Go

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Sat Jun 01, 2019 11:00 am

Detailed summary of Super Dragon Ball Heroes: Dark Demon Realm Mission! Chapter 13: