'90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

'90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 09, 2019 10:25 pm

Some of you guys may know about the U.S. live-action Sailor Moon pilots. Fewer probably know about the Saint Seiya pitch produced by the same company.

It turns out Renaissance-Atlantic Films had filed a U.S. trademark for Dragon Ball in 1994. If you go through their history at the USPTO, you'll notice that they only ever registered live-action projects in the early '90s ...
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

MasenkoHA
Advanced Regular

Re: '90s live-action U.S. series pilot?

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri May 10, 2019 10:49 am

pre-recorded videocassettes and videodiscs featuring animated and live-action adventure stories
See no evil. Speak no evil. Hear no evil

Jord
Regular

Post by Jord » Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am

So you mean that we could have an episode of Power Rangers in which they meet both the Ninja Turtles AND Goku?

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 11, 2019 3:46 pm

It would probably be like the Double Dragon movie, but on a way smaller budget.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sat May 11, 2019 8:45 pm

What a cool discovery. I wonder how exactly they would have turned Dragon Ball into a Power Rangers-esque monster of the week story. It probably wouldn't have turned out well in the least, but still something I would be pretty curious to know just how far into the planning stages they got.
Jord wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am
So you mean that we could have an episode of Power Rangers in which they meet both the Ninja Turtles AND Goku?
I'm not gonna lie - a part of me wants to see what such a thing would have been like. I mean, horrible is the clear answer, but just how horrible?
Last edited by Gyt Kaliba on Sat May 11, 2019 9:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My Writing Endeavors
"There are two kinds of folks who sit around thinking about how to kill people. Psychopaths, and mystery writers. I'm the kind that pays better." - Richard Castle, 'Castle'

Hellspawn28
Namekian Warrior

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:02 pm

I can't think of many martial arts live action TV shows during the 90s other than Mortal Kombat Conquest. That show was pretty bad too for the most part and I think we doge a bullet with this. Dragon Ball Evolution already had a mid-late 90s bad movie vibe to it anyways.
PS4 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
MAL Profile: http://myanimelist.net/profile/Hellspawn28
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GS27/

MasenkoHA
Advanced Regular

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun May 12, 2019 3:43 pm

Jord wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 10:58 am
As far as I know Saban the company that made Power Rangers and that live action Ninja Turtles show that existed for like half a week had nothing do with that would be She Ra/Babysitter Sitters hybrid show that was too be American Sailor Moon or whatever this Dragon Ball thing was gonna be?