Viz & The Dragon Ball Manga

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyamanMS
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Viz & The Dragon Ball Manga

Post by SaiyamanMS » Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am

Worth noting that while Viz never split the Naruto manga with Shippuden, Yu-Gi-Oh! got split into Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist and Yu-Gi-Oh! Milennium World, with Duelist being based on the portion of the manga that the anime started with.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 24, 2019 11:03 am

SaiyamanMS wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am Worth noting that while Viz never split the Naruto manga with Shippuden, Yu-Gi-Oh! got split into Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist and Yu-Gi-Oh! Milennium World, with Duelist being based on the portion of the manga that the anime started with.
I mean, Viz was already well under way with translating the manga before Shippuden was a thing, which was a last-ditch effort to rebrand the show so they could get viewers back because the filler they made lost them a LOT from what I've read. Everyone knew Naruto anyway, but they rebranded the last 4 arcs of Dragon Ball's manga as Z because of brand recognition because Z is more known & more popular than the original Dragon Ball. With Yugioh, even the seasons of the anime had different subtitles, so I'm not surprised there.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 24, 2019 11:09 am

SaiyamanMS wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 3:20 am Worth noting that while Viz never split the Naruto manga with Shippuden, Yu-Gi-Oh! got split into Yu-Gi-Oh!, Yu-Gi-Oh! Duelist and Yu-Gi-Oh! Milennium World, with Duelist being based on the portion of the manga that the anime started with.
That actually makes a bit of sense because that would follow a more Sailor Moon-type system where each arc gains its own subtitle.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 2:44 am
Robo4900 wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 6:32 amApparently the problem is that Shueisha are continually dragging their feet on the licensing, and refuse to handle it any other way than to license each arc individually, separately, and laboriously.
I hear that all of the time, but if that's really the case, then how come Planeta Cómic seems to have had no such problem, having already released the entire series in print and digitally? Sounds like bullshit to me. If Viz really wanted to make it happen, they would.
Why would Viz provide such a specific excuse like this as a lie? If Viz were just dragging their feet on it, they needn't say anything except the occasional "It's in the works; nothing's been cancelled." as they already have. And yet, they provide this additional detail.

I see no reason for any doubt to be cast on what they're saying.
Scsigs wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 pm Even then, that's not really an excuse. Yeah, Shueisha license the manga in arcs. So? Viz could easily license them, plug in their already-done translations, & set them up to come out like they already did with the first 2 arcs. Why haven't they?
You say that, assuming licensing the manga is that easy.

Presumably, there's some hold-up that causes contention in the licensing negotiations. I'd guess Viz's printing being so large compared to all other releases is a lot of the problem. Shueisha probably give them a hard time over that.

Remember, what they've said is that they have to license them separately. They've never cited any difficulty plugging their already-done translations in, or releasing them, they're specifically talking about the licensing.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Fri May 24, 2019 4:51 pm

I understand why they separated the two at first even though I don't agree with it. But I always tell people that the 3-in1 red cover editions are the way to go. They're the least censored versions and they're the only English release to contain the proper chapter numbers.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm

Robo4900 wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 11:23 am
Scsigs wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 12:58 pm Even then, that's not really an excuse. Yeah, Shueisha license the manga in arcs. So? Viz could easily license them, plug in their already-done translations, & set them up to come out like they already did with the first 2 arcs. Why haven't they?
You say that, assuming licensing the manga is that easy.

Presumably, there's some hold-up that causes contention in the licensing negotiations. I'd guess Viz's printing being so large compared to all other releases is a lot of the problem. Shueisha probably gave them a hard time over that.

Remember, what they've said is that they have to license them separately. They've never cited any difficulty plugging their already-done translations in, or releasing them, they're specifically talking about the licensing.
It's like I said, that's not much of an excuse. It's an explanation, but I really don't take that as a good excuse from either party involved with licensing. Shueisha should really be making the full color manga available everywhere it can be, especially for anniversary stuff.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 24, 2019 9:00 pm

Scsigs wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 8:22 pm It's like I said, that's not much of an excuse. It's an explanation, but I really don't take that as a good excuse from either party involved with licensing. Shueisha should really be making the full color manga available everywhere it can be, especially for anniversary stuff.
A complete Full Colour release of the manga would have made a fantastic 30th anniversary celebration.

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Fri May 24, 2019 9:59 pm

KBABZ wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:00 pmA complete Full Colour release of the manga would have made a fantastic 30th anniversary celebration.
I mean, yeah, four or five years ago when the manga celebrated its 30th anniversary in December of 2014, that would have been fantastic. But right now, it would seem a touch out of place to be celebrating the 30th anniversary of specifically the Z run of the anime with a complete full color release of the manga. While I'd definitely still take it, it would have made a lot more sense back in 2014/2015.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 24, 2019 10:43 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:59 pm
KBABZ wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 9:00 pmA complete Full Colour release of the manga would have made a fantastic 30th anniversary celebration.
I mean, yeah, four or five years ago when the manga celebrated its 30th anniversary in December of 2014, that would have been fantastic. But right now, it would seem a touch out of place to be celebrating the 30th anniversary of specifically the Z run of the anime with a complete full color release of the manga. While I'd definitely still take it, it would have made a lot more sense back in 2014/2015.
I suppose, but at this point I kinda feel even Shueisha feels like the Z anime is the only piece of classic Dragon Ball content worth noting anymore, at least in terms of going out of their way to celebrate it and all that.