The Prejudice Against Digital Animation 2:The evolution.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

The Prejudice Against Digital Animation 2:The evolution.

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Fri May 17, 2019 9:26 am

Animation has changed a lot since the old days, and Digital Animation has been no different! I think that many more outstanding examples of animation have come out these days. Like Boruto 65:Father and Child. Or the Finale of the Luffy Vs Katakuri on episode 170. And who can forget Goku vs Jiren?

What do you think of Digital animation? Is it good or bad? Do you see Dragon Ball improving or decaying in animation quality in future projects.

Also just so you what I'm talking about here are some AJAY videos to showcase some of these impressive animation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8B2_SWg_cs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otoPMI7NRD4
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Robo4900
I Live Here

Re: The Prejudice Against Digital Animation 2:The evolution.

Post by Robo4900 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:37 am

Traditional had a texture digital animation doesn't have. I like that texture.

You can do good work physical or digital, but I like the look of traditional.

Dragon Ball's crap animation isn't because it's digital, it's because it's produced on a tight budget with tight deadlines.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri May 17, 2019 1:10 pm

As I said last time, I feel it's easier to make things look cheap in digital animation. One of the big advancements with Broly is the variable line width that makes it feel much more like old animation. But digital animation's prejudice kinda goes hand-in-hand with an overuse of CGI in a manner that doesn't even attempt to look like the 2D work outside of a quick cel-shade lighting pass. It's not exactly FighterZ where it looks flat and is also a 12fps.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 17, 2019 1:31 pm

I like aspects of both.

I like the vibrancy and clarity that comes from digital when done well. Modern Dragon Ball has had a bit of an uphill battle in that regard with Super being made on a tight schedule to meet broadcasting deadlines, Battle of Gods being a testing ground for doing fully animated projects once again, Resurrection F relying too heavily on Yamamuro's overly detailed and less fluid in motion character designs, but thankfully Broly got it right.

I also like traditional as the higher barrier to entry required by the sheer craft of hand drawn frames of animation in huge volumes inevitably leads to the effort really showing even when those tight deadlines are in place.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm

It seems like with digital animation, there’s a lot of potential for laziness due to potential shortcuts involved. However, if it isn’t used as a crutch and as much love is put into it as necessary, it can look as good or better than traditional, in my view. A lot of what I saw in early Super animation looked like an early 2000’s Flash animation; flat color palettes and obvious copy/paste animations. THAT is the “low budget/time constraint” danger zone. BoG and RoF looked significantly better and closer to how the series ought to look, and those were digital as well—though clearly budget and time weren’t nearly as constrained. Although I think Yamamuro’s style leans heavily into the digital, unnaturally consistent and on-model appearance of the characters as well.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun May 19, 2019 11:55 am

The Ben 10 franchise was digitally-animated, and until the reboot, it had always looked excellent.

And as noted, Broly looks astounding.

It's about the work, not the medium the work is done in.
Thanos wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 5:32 pm It seems like with digital animation, there’s a lot of potential for laziness due to potential shortcuts involved.
What shortcuts?

The flat colour palettes and copy/paste animation you refer to later in your post was just as much a shortcut in traditional as it is in digital.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Wed May 22, 2019 11:35 pm

Sadly we're never going to see cels and film used again because in this day and age it's just not practical. But there is definitely a quality to cel animation that simply can't be replicated with filters. I think Studio Ghibli probably had the smoothest transition to digital because so many of their design and animation principles from the days of Nippon Animation stayed the same.