How do you rate Dragon Ball's creativity in fighting department?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

How do you rate Dragon Ball's creativity in fighting department?

Post by Tavarano » Tue May 28, 2019 11:20 pm

I give it good/average from the beginning up to the saiyan arc, and mostly terrible afterwards with some shining moments here and there. Earlier on there was more of a sense of uniqueness, characters actually pulled out things, the gags didn't feel out of place before the stakes rose, there was some environment use as well and more varied locations of fights. Later on Toriyama seems to have gotten tired so he moved the fights to wastelands and we only had good ol' kamehameha every fight with everyone learning to fly and control KI however they want, Goku even lost his stick and tail, narratively have turned into power level wank. I also wish Yamcha would have fought in a mech made by Bulma in saiyan arc.
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you rate Dragon Ball's creativity in fighting department?

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm

You're starting to resemble thatdbzguy with all of these rapid-fire, single-minded posts about Toriyama's writing that are mostly just trying to be provocative.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: How do you rate Dragon Ball's creativity in fighting department?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 29, 2019 8:16 am

jjgp1112 wrote: Tue May 28, 2019 11:49 pm You're starting to resemble thatdbzguy with all of these rapid-fire, single-minded posts about Toriyama's writing that are mostly just trying to be provocative.
I was thinking the same. Except thatdbzguy just went on about the same topic over and over. But still there’s definitely a lot of similarities between the two.