Funimation buys MangaUK

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Robo4900
I Live Here

Funimation buys MangaUK

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am

Funimation has bought MangaUK

MangaUK pretty much always operated as importing Funi's and Madman's DVDs to the UK, so I don't imagine we'll see much difference, really.

Though, if Funi own MangaUK, it's possible that gives them a better claim over certain rights, so who knows... Maybe this'll lead to us seeing an attempt to properly cater to the UK nostalgia market with a limited DVD release of the Westwood dub or something.
I'd doubt it, of course. Chances are this is just Funi hoping to consolidate the English anime market, but I might as well start us off with a thought of how this could end up as a neat, positive thing, rather than just more of the same.

I'm just glad this happened after Broly, so we don't have to put up with the green tint for the UK release.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Re: Funimation buys MangaUK

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

It's an intriguing turn of events, but I'll be waiting to see how things shape up as it could really go either way now.
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am
I'm just glad this happened after Broly, so we don't have to put up with the green tint for the UK release.
Yeah, when I heard Manga UK's release didn't have the tint I was cautiously optimistic for future releases to not be subjected to Funimation's mistakes, now I'm a bit worried Funi will screw up again and Manga UK will be left with no other option but to use what they are given.

I encourage anyone interested in a home release of the Canadian dubs to reach out to Manga UK and express your interest as that's potentially one less roadblock. Honestly I'm hoping this means we will be seeing a UK version of Rock the Dragon sooner rather than later, and that would be an ideal way of testing the waters before pushing for a Westwood dub DVD set.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Selling
- Arrival DVD single
- Betrayal DVD single

Looking For
- Showdown DVD single
- Madman Level 1.1

If interested PM with offers

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm

How will this impact what Manga UK gets from other companies like Viz Media such as Naruto ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I'm pretty cozy, here...

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

This also means Manga UK are now owned by Sony right? Gotta say this came as a surprise. If nothing else, hopefully this will mean less of a gap between the US and UK releases.

Perhaps the huge success of Manga UK's theatrical runs of the last 2 movies played a part in this. Manga UK are a small company and they accomplished that, so logic would suggest they could do even better with Funimation behind them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 29, 2019 2:31 pm

sintzu wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm
How will this impact what Manga UK gets from other companies like Viz Media such as Naruto ?
They are supposedly still able to negotiate other lincenses. As such DB is currently negotiated via Toei Europe so nothing should change regarding releases or release schedules for DB.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm
It's an intriguing turn of events, but I'll be waiting to see how things shape up as it could really go either way now.
Robo4900 wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am
Yeah, when I heard Manga UK's release didn't have the tint I was cautiously optimistic for future releases to not be subjected to Funimation's mistakes, now I'm a bit worried Funi will screw up again and Manga UK will be left with no other option but to use what they are given.

I encourage anyone interested in a home release of the Canadian dubs to reach out to Manga UK and express your interest as that's potentially one less roadblock. Honestly I'm hoping this means we will be seeing a UK version of Rock the Dragon sooner rather than later, and that would be an ideal way of testing the waters before pushing for a Westwood dub DVD set.
Except this wasn’t a funimation mistake. It was Toei’s.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm

sintzu wrote:
Funi's actually using an image of Naruto on their blog post.
Presumably they'll keep the Manga brand for non-Funi titles, but emphasise the Funimation branding otherwise. It will be interesting to see if Sony's clout helps out Manga with stuff like supermarket space and theatrical releases, though I don't think anything like this has happened with Funimation itself since Sony's purchase.

This also means that Pop Max (formally Kix), the channel that aired Kai, now shares a parent company with Manga. Go on, Sony Movie Channel, put Resurrection "F" on instead of the week's 97th repeat of Last Action Hero.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm
Yes, please people do this!! It takes but a moment to send a Tweet.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

LostTimeLord wrote:
Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm
sintzu wrote:
Funi's actually using an image of Naruto on their blog post.
I hope they don't cancel Shippuden's 50 episode box sets as those made collecting the show a lot easier for me and probably other fans. There's still one set left so hopefully they release it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.