Funimation buys MangaUK

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Robo4900
I Live Here

Funimation buys MangaUK

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 am

Funimation has bought MangaUK

MangaUK pretty much always operated as importing Funi's and Madman's DVDs to the UK, so I don't imagine we'll see much difference, really.

Though, if Funi own MangaUK, it's possible that gives them a better claim over certain rights, so who knows... Maybe this'll lead to us seeing an attempt to properly cater to the UK nostalgia market with a limited DVD release of the Westwood dub or something.
I'd doubt it, of course. Chances are this is just Funi hoping to consolidate the English anime market, but I might as well start us off with a thought of how this could end up as a neat, positive thing, rather than just more of the same.

I'm just glad this happened after Broly, so we don't have to put up with the green tint for the UK release.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Re: Funimation buys MangaUK

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm

It's an intriguing turn of events, but I'll be waiting to see how things shape up as it could really go either way now.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 amI'm just glad this happened after Broly, so we don't have to put up with the green tint for the UK release.
Yeah, when I heard Manga UK's release didn't have the tint I was cautiously optimistic for future releases to not be subjected to Funimation's mistakes, now I'm a bit worried Funi will screw up again and Manga UK will be left with no other option but to use what they are given.

I encourage anyone interested in a home release of the Canadian dubs to reach out to Manga UK and express your interest as that's potentially one less roadblock. Honestly I'm hoping this means we will be seeing a UK version of Rock the Dragon sooner rather than later, and that would be an ideal way of testing the waters before pushing for a Westwood dub DVD set.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Wed May 29, 2019 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm

How will this impact what Manga UK gets from other companies like Viz Media such as Naruto ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Wed May 29, 2019 2:05 pm

This also means Manga UK are now owned by Sony right? Gotta say this came as a surprise. If nothing else, hopefully this will mean less of a gap between the US and UK releases.

Perhaps the huge success of Manga UK's theatrical runs of the last 2 movies played a part in this. Manga UK are a small company and they accomplished that, so logic would suggest they could do even better with Funimation behind them.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 29, 2019 2:31 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm How will this impact what Manga UK gets from other companies like Viz Media such as Naruto ?
They are supposedly still able to negotiate other lincenses. As such DB is currently negotiated via Toei Europe so nothing should change regarding releases or release schedules for DB.

Tylerman29
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tylerman29 » Wed May 29, 2019 5:28 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm It's an intriguing turn of events, but I'll be waiting to see how things shape up as it could really go either way now.
Robo4900 wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 10:58 amI'm just glad this happened after Broly, so we don't have to put up with the green tint for the UK release.
Yeah, when I heard Manga UK's release didn't have the tint I was cautiously optimistic for future releases to not be subjected to Funimation's mistakes, now I'm a bit worried Funi will screw up again and Manga UK will be left with no other option but to use what they are given.

I encourage anyone interested in a home release of the Canadian dubs to reach out to Manga UK and express your interest as that's potentially one less roadblock. Honestly I'm hoping this means we will be seeing a UK version of Rock the Dragon sooner rather than later, and that would be an ideal way of testing the waters before pushing for a Westwood dub DVD set.
Except this wasn’t a funimation mistake. It was Toei’s.
DB, Z, and GT subbed are my "canon".
SSJ4 > Any transformation in Super.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm

sintzu wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:19 pm How will this impact what Manga UK gets from other companies like Viz Media such as Naruto ?
Funi's actually using an image of Naruto on their blog post.
Presumably they'll keep the Manga brand for non-Funi titles, but emphasise the Funimation branding otherwise. It will be interesting to see if Sony's clout helps out Manga with stuff like supermarket space and theatrical releases, though I don't think anything like this has happened with Funimation itself since Sony's purchase.

This also means that Pop Max (formally Kix), the channel that aired Kai, now shares a parent company with Manga. Go on, Sony Movie Channel, put Resurrection "F" on instead of the week's 97th repeat of Last Action Hero.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:04 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 12:17 pm I encourage anyone interested in a home release of the Canadian dubs to reach out to Manga UK and express your interest as that's potentially one less roadblock. Honestly I'm hoping this means we will be seeing a UK version of Rock the Dragon sooner rather than later, and that would be an ideal way of testing the waters before pushing for a Westwood dub DVD set.
Yes, please people do this!! It takes but a moment to send a Tweet.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Wed May 29, 2019 6:21 pm

LostTimeLord wrote: Wed May 29, 2019 5:42 pm
Funi's actually using an image of Naruto on their blog post.
I hope they don't cancel Shippuden's 50 episode box sets as those made collecting the show a lot easier for me and probably other fans. There's still one set left so hopefully they release it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm

So in a week from now the Manga UK brand will be completely gone.

Have to say I'll be sad to see it go, as I liked that the company had its own identity and I have nostalgia for going into HMV, Head Records, etc and seeing Dragon Ball products with their logo, but I guess it was coming.

For anyone asking about how it will affect series Manga licensed here that Funimation didn't have the US rights to, judging by the UK release of Hunter X Hunter it's looking like this will mean the Funimation logo will appear on all products, and sadly for ongoing series we'll be left with spine inconsistencies :shock:
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pm

I guess this isn't that big of a surprise, but it is sad to see the name Manga UK go after all the good they've done for the franchise since 2012. Hopefully it's just a change in name and not management. Jerome and the rest of Manga UK did an amazing job fighting for the theatrical screenings of Resurrection F and DBS Broly, and also promoting them. It's thanks to them they were such an enormous success. They've also gone to a lot of effort recently with the packaging for their Z Blu-rays, and the DBS Collector's Edition.

Us UK and Ireland fans owe them our gratitude.
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:01 pm For anyone asking about how it will affect series Manga licensed here that Funimation didn't have the US rights to, judging by the UK release of Hunter X Hunter it's looking like this will mean the Funimation logo will appear on all products, and sadly for ongoing series we'll be left with spine inconsistencies :shock:
https://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1381615411578408961

The Z Blu-rays will continue to use the Manga UK logo for consistency at least.

LostTimeLord
Beyond Newbie

Post by LostTimeLord » Mon Apr 12, 2021 1:02 pm

I'm a little surprised, as Manga still seemed to act as an separate entity after Sony bought them. I wouldn't have thought this'll affect Dragon Ball though, as they've been using Funimation's discs for almost all their releases anyway. Of course, the re-brand might be a first step in the US side taking more control.

It will be weird if the local releases of Bojack Horseman and Steven Universe continue and swap to Funimation branding. Actually, scratch that, Funimation is more generic and makes way more sense for western content than Manga Entertainment did.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:09 pm

Ah... Manga UK. Bringing up classic masterpieces like Angel Cop and Mad Bull 34.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVpwJbLLivU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kJkXnJU8SPE

Goodspeed. "Fuck AND Piss"
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 am

Well Manga UK haven't been active on Facebook for a month now, their Twitter is gone and whatever upcoming releases still have their logo (like the Z Blu-Rays) is being promoted by Funimation on social media.

Seems the brand is well and truly dead now, but proud to say I've collected all their Dragon Ball releases, with the exception of the orange bricks, and supported the movie theatrical runs they did in Ireland (Ressurection F and Broly) as I am forever grateful for all they've done for this series in the British Isles since 2012.

Worth noting, little known fact that they wanted to use the Saban and Westwood dubs as extra audio tracks on the orange bricks, of course it didn't work out when they realized they were edited dubs that wouldn't sync up, but Kami loves a trier and all that.

And from what they've said, it will still be the same team, so luckily no one should be out of work.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 12:29 pmhttps://twitter.com/MangaUK/status/1381615411578408961

The Z Blu-rays will continue to use the Manga UK logo for consistency at least.
I was glad to hear this. Collected the 6 that have been released, seasons 7-8 are on pre-order and I do plan to pre-order 9 soon. Been loving the packaging for these sets. The art cards and posters are really nice too. Least Manga UK are bowing out in style. These Z Blu-Rays with the Shenron spine will be a nice sendoff.

Hopefully the new Funimation UK era of Dragon Ball, which will presumably start with the recently announced movie and hinted Super continuation will be just as good.
Last edited by Dragon Ball Ireland on Fri May 14, 2021 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri May 14, 2021 10:51 am

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 10:37 am Hopefully the new Funimation UK era of Dragon Ball, which will presumably start with the recently announced movie and hinted Super continuation will be just as good.
Fingers crossed Funimation UK are able to make the new series available ASAP with no delay between the US and UK releases like with previous Super releases. At this point we really should be getting stuff at the same time. And hopefully the Covid situation improves to the point were another huge theatrical run is possible for the movie.