Your ONE favorite character and your ONE favorite version of him/her

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Your ONE favorite character and your ONE favorite version of him/her

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:35 pm

Cold Skin wrote: Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 am Members being named Son_Gohan, WhisPL or VegettoEX don't necessarily mean they have Gohan, Whis and Vegetto as their respective favorites in the end. But sometimes at least, it does correlate and shows that even with years going by and tons of new characters/appearances being added, they still haven't changed their favorite over time, which kinda shows the durability of those characters' charisma!
As you might guess, back when I created this (dumb and overly lengthy) username, my favorite character was indeed Trunks. But that was before I had properly familiarized myself with the pre-Raditz material. Now, most of my favorite characters can be found among the 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai cast.
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DestructoDisc » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:17 pm

Favorite character: Gohan
Favorite version: Highschool Gohan
What a beast

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:31 am

Super Saiyan 2 Cell Games Gohan!
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:01 pm

Favorite Character: Caulifla!
Favorite Version: Super Saiyan!

Caulifla best girl! :)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 3:44 am

My favorite character is Freeza and I’ll probably go with his first form.

My favorite form is actually Cooler’s final form. I wish we could have seen something like that for Freeza in RF instead of Golden, but oh well.

MugiMikey
Beyond Newbie

Post by MugiMikey » Thu Jun 06, 2019 8:48 pm

Hmmm... gotta go with Kuririn from the Saiyan and Namek arcs. Dude was vital for the adventure.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm

All members who have expressed themselves so far are now featured in the pictures.
But there are still many more members that can state their favorite character to everyone!

So don't be afraid and just let everyone finally know who's your little favorite once and for all! 8) (or not so much "once and for all", since you are entitled to change your opinion over time, which will naturally change the picture featured with your name)

Extreme_kai
Beyond Newbie

Post by Extreme_kai » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:54 pm

My favorite character is Freeza, and my favorite form is the final form. I like how simple it looks, and it combines my favorite elements of the prototypical martian/grey alien with an interesting lizard spin to it. For me, it's a toss-up between DBZ and Broly movie Freeza, but I'll give it to Z. I absolutely hate the way he's drawn so off model in super, for some reason they just can't get his eyes and head right. ( Admittedly, not a big fan of modern Yamamuro.)

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:53 pm

Every time this question arises, I have a hard time thinking of my absolute favorite character of Dragon Ball.
I like many characters almost the same, for different reasons. I admit that I tend to change my opinion over time, also based on whatever last Dragon Ball arc I have seen/read or, when Super was airing, based on what was happening.

But of course if there’s a character I keep growing more and more fond of with each rewatch or reread of the serie, that’s definitely adult Goku. And while I like many of his versions, including his kid ones, I always look forward to seeing his fight against Piccolo at the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi due to how greatly choreographed it is, how Goku displays many of his defining traits there, and because I always love to relive the nostalgia of seeing Goku finally grown up for the first time. The art style was also gorgeous during that era!

So, in conclusion:
Favorite character: Goku
Favorite version: 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi

His Saiyan arc self comes as a very close second to me, but I’m also a big fan of his portrayal in the last two chapters of the manga and I was also a big fan of how the anime portrayed him during the Universal Survival Arc of Super.

悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kinokima
I Live Here

Post by Kinokima » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:14 pm

Vegeta

I don’t have a favorite form Er I guess Battle Damaged or when he is just being a Dad lol.

Edit: Also favorite outfits would be his Buu saga out, what he wears at the EOZ tournament and the human clothes Toyotaro dresses him in the Super manga. I like the jeans & black shirt/tank look.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:56 pm

Definitely Piccolo during the Androids/Cell arc. He’s collected, observant and stoic, but also powerful as hell and his fight with 17 is one of the best of all time.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

No9tro

Post by No9tro » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:23 pm

Probably Raditz. Just good old base Raditz from the Saiyan arc
I love his design, I love his personality and I love his hair. So cool! I just wish we got more of him

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:33 am

saiyan/freeza arc kuririn for sure. design wise, i actually probably prefer his cell saga look with the undershirt and boots, but i think he's at his best during those portions. i especially love his connection with gohan in the freeza arc, along with the leadership role he takes.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:03 pm

Favourite character: Gohan
Favourite version: Freeza Arc Gohan.

This Gohan was a little pocket rocket. Dare I say, its almost like his later Great Saiyaman persona played completely straight in the most hostile and dangerous of environment Dragon Ball has ever had.

He hates injustice against innocents and those he cares about and will stand up for it no matter the odds. The fear and hesitancy from the previous arc are seemingly eliminated and he has fully embraced his warrior self.

He's capable, but he's still very much a wildcard full of untapped potential. But when we do see glimpses of that potential, it's more often than not coated in a healthy dose of righteous anger.

Even when he's not backed up with that hidden power, small moments like him being the first one to attack final form Freeza just makes me giddy thinking about it and sums up everything I love about this incarnation of Gohan.

Sure, a lot of the above could describe Gohan as a whole. But Freeza Arc Gohan was the best embodiment of those characteristics while also having the most spice and moxy he arguably ever had as a fighting character.

Teclo
Beyond Newbie

Post by Teclo » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:33 pm

This is legitimately an impossible to answer question for me. DB is one of the few things where I like pretty much all of the characters, and out of my most favourite ones it's so equal. I mean, I've always liked Videl because at the time it felt like she was going to be a normal human being brought on board with the main cast, like a relatable POV character almost like the main character in a DB RPG where you integrate yourself into their world. That didn't pan out, but I've always liked that angle. But then there's no real "Videl scenes" apart from her learning to fly and getting wrecked by Spopovic. So you feel like you should go with a character with more pivotal scenes and fights, but even that doesn't narrow it down too much.

But long story short, I guess ultimately I'll have to go with Vegeta, and in the Buu arc. But it's like choosing a favourite between my children!