Missing/Rare DB/Z/GT NEP's/Promos/Videos.etc

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Missing/Rare DB/Z/GT NEP's/Promos/Videos.etc

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 am

This is something that has boggled my mind for a while now, and certainly deflates the complete aspect of the Dragon Boxes a little although they certainly still are the most complete release of the OG era of the franchise anime wise by far to date. This is especially the case with the first episode previews of Dragon Ball and DBZ which weren't included and Toei has never gone on record and stated as to the specifics on the omissions of said videos, or other things like the preview to the Trunks special, the Movie Overview special and New Year's 1993 recap special as well as other short promo videos for the series and other things. What i really don't get about this is you would assume that they would obviously have all these things in good quality on the 16mm masters or in the archives. It's more a case of stuff that they'd have access to but were left off for whatever reason if there even is any, though my best guess although not concrete is that in the course of creating the Dragon Boxes back during the early 2000's they either simply forgot to include them at some point during the remastering processes or couldn't immediately locate them at that point. There were some things they did in fact include like the first episode preview for Dragon Ball GT, albeit with it being left it off episode 291 on the Z Box Vol. 2 and stuck onto the GT Dragon Box as an extra which FUNimation actually got correct by placing it with the aforementioned episode at the end where it (almost) belongs on the domestic Vol. 7 DBox.

So this thread is basically a reference guide for these rare pieces of Dragon Ball animation that are not commercially available anywhere, including the Dragon Boxes.

Misc videos:

Dragon Ball '89: Not sure what this one was supposed to be, perhaps it's a Fuji TV schedule promo though it definitely looks to be from around mid to late 1988 despite the ad's title due to snippets of events being shown from the Piccolo Daimao/King Piccolo arc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xBA5wVNM1Tw

DB promo: February 1986

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2P8bjRTeC3E

DBZ promo: April 1989

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=X-POLhPo79Q

Making of Dragon Ball GT: Aired 1996/97

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d3ClZGitRIA

Specials:

Movie Overview/Review special/Extreme Battle- The Three Great Super Saiyans Special: Aired in July 1992, around Movie 7's premiere in theaters as part of Toei Anime Fair '92.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RJGgOt6qbIY

Year End special/New Year's/Forget the Year's Cares with Dragon Ball Z: Aired 12/31/1993, between the holiday break in the Next World Tournament/Great Saiyaman arc and 25th Budokai/start of Majin Buu arc.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JoKdHXc_V3o

Episode previews:

Dragon Ball FEP- Aired with episode 243 of Dr. Slump Arale-chan: 2/19/1986

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gcFytKAMHvA

DBZ FEP- Aired with episode 153 of Dragon Ball: 4/19/1989

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9JrsPYa7LM

DBZ SP2 Preview- Aired with episodes during the Cell arc around early/mid February 1993, although apparently originally shown with and without a preview for DBZ movie 8 tacked on.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YTkfoWQhWHs

Z 290 GT preview- Aired with episode 290 of DBZ: 1/24/1996

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2Lo_Q7RVvKg, see 00:00-0:30.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Missing/Rare DB/Z/GT NEP's/Promos/Videos.etc

Post by dragondyle » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks so much for this! These were awesome to see and I hope there are more rarities out there.
You must have faith in who you are.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:09 am

dragondyle wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:03 pm Thanks so much for this! These were awesome to see and I hope there are more rarities out there.
Hey no trouble, i enjoy this kind of stuff with seeing these old things from back during the series' original run on TV that are not available commercially on any home releases even on the Dragon Boxes.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:18 am

i have plenty of them, when i'll have some time i'll make them online

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 am

I'd like to see the one with Bardock and Goku, where Bardock holds Goku in his arm.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:39 am I'd like to see the one with Bardock and Goku, where Bardock holds Goku in his arm.
it's a see you next time card not a trailer

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am

Damn. I was told it was an animated sequence, not just a still.
We help! ... Hmm. Always get Autobots out of messes they get into.

~ Day of the Machines ~

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 pm

Grimlock wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am Damn. I was told it was an animated sequence, not just a still.
it's at the end of the tv special, it is the card after the sponsor, it's like this one for tvsp2 Image

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:01 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:10 pm
Grimlock wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:51 am Damn. I was told it was an animated sequence, not just a still.

Of course here is the respective "see you next time" cards for the original series and Z as well which i know for sure have surfaced already in multiple places, although apparently GT had a similar card at the end during it's original broadcast back in 1996-1997 as well but that one hasn't been shown yet either in video or photo form. I would assume someone who has raw tapes of episodes and or fansubs from back in the day would know this although i'm betting it's most likely the case if DB and DBZ both had them after the next episode previews and credits.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:01 pm

Of course here is the respective "see you next time" cards for the original series and Z as well which i know for sure have surfaced already in multiple places, although apparently GT had a similar card at the end during it's original broadcast back in 1996-1997 as well but that one hasn't been shown yet either in video or photo form. I would assume someone who has raw tapes of episodes and or fansubs from back in the day would know this although i'm betting it's most likely the case if DB and DBZ both had them after the next episode previews and credits.

where did you get the first one? i never see it fullscreen? no gt only have sponsor card (this one is the sponsor card textless recreated)

, for what i have seen from various sources, they stop airing see you next time cards around dbz 220 for some reason and kei17 told on twitter some time ago that sometime it was replaced by others stuffs

source M1529 and nappasan from twitter

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:13 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:36 pm
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:01 pm

where did you get the first one? i never see it fullscreen? no gt only have sponsor card (this one is the sponsor card textless recreated)

, for what i have seen from various sources, they stop airing see you next time cards around dbz 220 for some reason and kei17 told on twitter some time ago that sometime it was replaced by others stuffs

source M1529 and nappasan from twitter
If you're wondering where i got the shot of the DB next time card with Bulma, it's from a video i saw and downloaded off YouTube that has a bunch of miscellaneous videos of DB/Z/GT commercials and it was near the end of the video which apparently came from someone's personally recorded VHS tapes of the show from back during the series' broadcast along with the other two, and i guess that answers my question above that GT never had next time cards like the other two series which is really odd and kind of inconsistent.
Anyway here's the aforementioned video that it came from. It's a really cool watch especially with all the commercials and episode previews with the short movie promos at the end.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v-6_4Fd-C9w

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm

Yoshine Hylianerin gather and upload cm etc that he got on the web, thoses are from kei for sure, i several times see some of thoses ones
are from the worlddbz that is kei17 channel like zetto boy and the dead channel internationaldbz and several others

kei17 tweet thoses cards long time ago on twitter
the one that you show me (thanks a lot) was also in the kanzenshuu main page low quality and said as kei17) and this one
Image are the only one he didn't tweet for the series but i think they are all here (except tvsp2 which is on dbox and the one for z movie 4 and 8 that are on some dvd)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm Yoshine Hylianerin gather and upload cm etc that he got on the web, thoses are from kei for sure, i several times see some of thoses ones
are from the worlddbz that is kei17 channel like zetto boy and the dead channel internationaldbz and several others

the one that you show me (thanks a lot) was also in the kanzenshuu main page low quality and said as kei17) and this one
Image are the only one he didn't tweet for the series but i think they are all here (except tvsp2 which is on dbox and the one for z movie 4 and 8 that are on some dvd)
Wow i have never seen those first four cards or last one anywhere before, they must be extremely rare or something because none of the videos i have seen featuring recorded footage taken from original TV broadcasts of the series in Japan had any of the four above ones so that's something completely new to me. Also yeah, those three next time cards i posted above in my reply earlier were also on the "My Dragon Box Isn't Perfect" article on the main page albeit far smaller that what you see here.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:58 am

SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 pm
HakkaiBills93 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:42 pm Yoshine Hylianerin gather and upload cm etc that he got on the web, thoses are from kei for sure, i several times see some of thoses ones

Wow i have never seen those first four cards or last one anywhere before, they must be extremely rare or something because none of the videos i have seen featuring recorded footage taken from original TV broadcasts of the series in Japan had any of the four above ones so that's something completely new to me. Also yeah, those three next time cards i posted above in my reply earlier were also on the "My Dragon Box Isn't Perfect" article on the main page albeit far smaller that what you see here.
The last one is from dougo13 recording of db episode 1 original broadcast that a fansub team release as raw (you can find it on a popular tracker)
the first one is also on others episode he shared, (the one with goku and bulma) the second is unreleased , i never see it on a video
-the third i once see it on a youtube video long time ago
the fourth is the one at the end of db 153 (after nep for z ep1) kei regularly tweet it
- the red z one is from ep 1-3
- the kintoun one is from z 4-around 140
- the one with gokus father is from tvsp 1 as you know)
- the last one is after the kintoun one after around ep 140 until the end (it is funny that gohan ssj2 was already spoiled in the see you next time card while cell was freshly in the anime)

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:42 am

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Thu Jun 06, 2019 4:58 am
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:06 pm

The last one is from dougo13 recording of db episode 1 original broadcast that a fansub team release as raw (you can find it on a popular tracker)
the first one is also on others episode he shared, (the one with goku and bulma) the second is unreleased , i never see it on a video
-the third i once see it on a youtube video long time ago
the fourth is the one at the end of db 153 (after nep for z ep1) kei regularly tweet it
- the red z one is from ep 1-3
- the kintoun one is from z 4-around 140
- the one with gokus father is from tvsp 1 as you know)
- the last one is after the kintoun one after around ep 140 until the end (it is funny that gohan ssj2 was already spoiled in the see you next time card while cell was freshly in the anime)
Those are very interesting, i didn't know that they used multiple next time cards during the orginal broadcast aside from those three already previously shown. Also it's interesting how on that first card there used the same illustration of Goku on the Nimbus and Bulma with the bike that was on the front cover of the #51 issue of Weekly Shonen Jump in 1984, which of course as we know premiered the very first chapter of the manga in November of that year.

HakkaiBills93
Banned

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am

about next episode preview with cm here are all that have been gathered from various sources for movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THylHhh ... ZOZmK21M35

for series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFhsya ... epRKqNIfxD

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:37 pm

HakkaiBills93 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:13 am about next episode preview with cm here are all that have been gathered from various sources for movies
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THylHhh ... ZOZmK21M35

for series
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCFhsya ... epRKqNIfxD
Hey i just checked and both of those videos say unavailable, i don't know what is going on there but for some reason they can't be watched.

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Sun Jun 09, 2019 11:01 pm

This is more dub related, but on the Rock the Dragon release, which version of Tree of Might did they use? It's the Ian Corlett version I'm pretty sure, but they used the movie edit, right? Because when that originally aired on Saturday mornings as separate episodes, it had its own next episode previews for sure.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]