Is Korin giving Goku the magic water a gag?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tavarano
Not-So-Newbie

Is Korin giving Goku the magic water a gag?

Post by Tavarano » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:13 am

The first time around Goku gets on Korin's tower, Korin sells him a lesson that there isn't any holy water and strength comes from training, but the second time he's like "heh, jk, here's the water that will make you powerful". Do you think the subversion is deliberate?
Akira Toriyama wrote:As a rule, there is no such thing as a theme in my work.

TrunksTrevelyan0064
Patreon Supporter

Re: Is Korin giving Goku the magic water a gag?

Post by TrunksTrevelyan0064 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:35 pm

I imagine this was just Toriyama going "Ummm let's see how do I make Goku strong enough to beat Piccolo... Oh, I know, there was REAL super duper water all long. Yep. Sure. Let's roll with that."
Usually goes by "Kevtrev" elsewhere online.
Draws comics that may or may not have been inspired by Akira Toriyama's amazing manga-making skills.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:17 pm

Why does it matter? Whatever we say, It will never convince you that DB isnt a cesspool of evil cynicism Topic Creator.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:47 pm

Is there a point to these threads?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:16 pm

Next Topic:

"Is Goku breathing a gag?"
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.