DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm

make a movie of dragon ball live action is very difficult because of the fantastic and very different world that the series has so it is that that only the animation could do and taking into account how popular the series in other countries so could be an adaptation of DB as series or movie with cartoon style

Do you think the style would fit or not? Could they capture the essence of the series?

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: DB could work as Cartoon Series?

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:27 pm

I really don't see the need to redesign the characters and artstyle that heavily. The series looks fine as it is.

As to your question, an animated film series would only work if made in Japan. Not to sound elitist, but frankly I don't trust anyone in Hollywood to treat the property correctly, animated or otherwise.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:32 pm

I'd say no. Part of Dragon Ball's charm is the Eastern style, imagery and general feel. We've seen what Americanizing the series does when it comes to music and dialogue, losing Toriyama's wacky and distinctive art style would be an even greater loss. It would be more interesting if it was a case like Avatar : The Last Airbender or Xiaolin Showdown where a show was produced in America but tried to emulate the Japanese style.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

DragonBallFoodie
Advanced Regular

Post by DragonBallFoodie » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:05 pm

It was a cartoon series. One of the most famous in anime history.
"Don't take pleasure in destruction!" / "I will not let you destroy my world!"
A true hero goes beyond not the limits of power, but the limits that divide countries and people.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:35 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:05 pmIt was a cartoon series. One of the most famous in anime history.
I think the topic is about it being an American style cartoon series. I don't think it can work for 2 reasons : 1- Changing DB's look will take away part of its identity. Unlike American comics and cartoons where the look is constantly being changed, fans expect all things DB to have Toriyama's original look. 2- Cartoon series tend to be episodic where each story starts and ends in the same episode or 2 part episodes. DB's stories go on for 40,50, & even 60 episodes.

With that said, I wouldn't be against something completely different like that if, and on ly if, the people behind it like DB, they have creative freedom, and are given a good budget to work with.
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:27 pmI don't trust anyone in Hollywood to treat the property correctly, animated or otherwise.
Between remaking old movies and constantly bringing back old characters and concepts, they haven't been doing that good of a job either. Apart from BOG, modern DB is nothing more than a nostalgia/fan fiction series so if that's all they have to offer then maybe handing things over to a different team won't be such a bad idea.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:07 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:35 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:27 pmI don't trust anyone in Hollywood to treat the property correctly, animated or otherwise.
Between remaking old movies and constantly bringing back old characters and concepts, they haven't been doing that good of a job either. Apart from BOG, modern DB is nothing more than a nostalgia/fan fiction series so if that's all they have to offer then maybe handing things over to a different team won't be such a bad idea.
I'd take even the worst aspects of Modern DB over, say, DB Evolution any day of the week. Because even at its worst, Modern DB at least resembles the franchise, which Evolution does not. And that's my point. I'd rather have bad Dragon Ball than something completely different that has the DB name slapped on it.
Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 pm

Quite frankly no, because i think it has worked best as an anime and would never lend itself well in terms of the Western style of animation commonly used here in the U.S. Interestingly enough, that very thing was almost very nearly done to Sailor Moon back in around 1993 or 1994 by a company called Toon Makers before it ended up getting handed to DiC who just dubbed the original anime proper. It seems a test pilot pitch of this Americanized interpretation was made but then rejected, another thing i can think of along the same lines was when Speed Racer was given it's own original show known as Speed Racer: The New Adventures also in 1993 that had almost nothing to do with the original Mach Go Go Go/Speed series produced by Speed Racer Enterprises and Fred Wolf Films, the animation company behind the original 1987-1996 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. However, this version was entirely independently produced by them apart from originating studio Tatsunoko Productions and apparently it was not authorized by them either. Those are some notable examples of Japanese animated shows being or at least attempted to be adapted into standard Western animated series like you would see on our side of the world.

Here's an article about the failed lost Americanization of Sailor Moon, and boy does it look horrible like a quasi almost Jem and the Holograms clone mishmashed with several other shows including elements of Power Rangers.

https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wik ... n_Pilot%29
Last edited by SuperSaiyaManZ94 on Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:45 pm, edited 9 times in total.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm

PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:07 pmI'd take even the worst aspects of Modern DB over, say, DB Evolution any day of the week. Because even at its worst, Modern DB at least resembles the franchise, which Evolution does not. And that's my point. I'd rather have bad Dragon Ball than something completely different that has the DB name slapped on it.
The problem with Evolution is that the people who worked on it didn't know or care about DB (they said this themselves) and they had no budget to work with.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:15 pm

Tai Lung wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:21 pm make a movie of dragon ball live action is very difficult because of the fantastic and very different world that the series has so it is that that only the animation could do and taking into account how popular the series in other countries so could be an adaptation of DB as series or movie with cartoon style

Do you think the style would fit or not? Could they capture the essence of the series?

I love how Yajirobe looks in this redesign. Other than that no.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by PremiumSalt » Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:17 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:10 pm
PremiumSalt wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:07 pmI'd take even the worst aspects of Modern DB over, say, DB Evolution any day of the week. Because even at its worst, Modern DB at least resembles the franchise, which Evolution does not. And that's my point. I'd rather have bad Dragon Ball than something completely different that has the DB name slapped on it.
The problem with Evolution is that the people who worked on it didn't know or care about DB (they said this themselves) and they had no budget to work with.
You're right, and that's the thing. I doubt there are many people working in Hollywood right now who "get" Dragon Ball. The best we'd get would probably someone who watched the Z dub back in the day on Toonami, and that's their entire exposure to the franchise. And frankly, I have no interest in seeing a DB film from someone like that.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:41 pm

I have zero interest in what your run-of-the-mill Hollywood animation person thinks and feels about Dragon Ball.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:46 pm

So...just so I'm clear...this isn't a cartoon?

Tai Lung
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Tai Lung » Mon Jun 03, 2019 7:58 pm

sintzu wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:35 pm
DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:05 pmIt was a cartoon series. One of the most famous in anime history.
I think the topic is about it being an American style cartoon series.
yes
SuperSaiyaManZ94 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 6:09 pm Quite frankly no, because i think it has worked best as an anime and would never lend itself well in terms of the Western style of animation commonly used here in the U.S. Interestingly enough, that very thing was almost very nearly done to Sailor Moon back in around 1993 or 1994 by a company called Toon Makers before it ended up getting handed to DiC who just dubbed the original anime proper. It seems a test pilot pitch of this Americanized interpretation was made but then rejected, another thing i can think of along the same lines was when Speed Racer was given it's own original show known as Speed Racer: The New Adventures also in 1993 that had almost nothing to do with the original Mach Go Go Go/Speed series produced by Speed Racer Enterprises and Fred Wolf Films, the animation company behind the original 1987-1996 Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon. However, this version was entirely independently produced by them apart from originating studio Tatsunoko Productions and apparently it was not authorized by them either. Those are some notable examples of Japanese animated shows being or at least attempted to be adapted into standard Western animated series like you would see on our side of the world.

Here's an article about the failed lost Americanization of Sailor Moon, and boy does it look horrible like a quasi almost Jem and the Holograms clone mishmashed with several other shows including elements of Power Rangers.

https://lostmediaarchive.fandom.com/wik ... n_Pilot%29
well it work with astro boy maybe ..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astro_Boy_(film)

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm

If it were done by the same people behind Avatar or Ben 10, yeah, I think so. It would actually be better, story-wise speaking.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Grimlock wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm If it were done by the same people behind Avatar or Ben 10, yeah, I think so. It would actually be better, story-wise speaking.
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Oh you were serious...

Let me laugh harder.

HAHAAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAH
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:52 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:27 pm
Grimlock wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:02 pm If it were done by the same people behind Avatar or Ben 10, yeah, I think so. It would actually be better, story-wise speaking.

Oh you were serious...

Let me laugh harder.

I've heard worse ideas, certain people who worked on Avatar could work pretty well with Dragon Ball material. Aaron Ehasz writing, with direction from Joaquim Dos Santos, doesn't sound bad honestly. Mike and Bryan are a little more hit or miss (especially with Korra), though even they at least have knowledge of martial arts and have a good advisor in Sifu Kisu.

Can't speak for Ben 10, never watched any of those series.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh you were serious...

Let me laugh harder.

I can't speak to Ben 10, but Avatar's storytelling, character development, and combat is head and shoulders so much better than Dragon Ball's it's almost unfair to compare them.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 3/4/24!)
Current Episode: A Hero's Clone - Dragon Ball Dissection: Goku's Side Story! Siu Xing Qiu is a Testament to Courage

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:09 pm

DragonBallFoodie wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:05 pm It was a cartoon series. One of the most famous in anime history.
Came here just to say this.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:05 pm

Oh you were serious...

Let me laugh harder.

I can't speak to Ben 10, but Avatar's storytelling, character development, and combat is head and shoulders so much better than Dragon Ball's it's almost unfair to compare them.
I love you Gaffer Tape but I thought you of ALL people would know better than to just put a franchise into some overrated writers hands and expect quality. Sure, Ben 10 had the late Dwayne McDuffie who had the herculean task of making Ben 10 more mature and palatable and ACTUALLY SUCCEEDING, creating a Billion dollar franchise. But Bryke? Lauren Montgomery? Joaquim Dos Santos? Their writing is the plague incarnatel. To be avoided at all costs. Sorry but I doubt they'd do Dragon Ball Justice. You and other may not like how Dragon Ball is right now but I thought you of all people would know better.

Maybe Kunzait is the one. The one knows better than to just drop a franchise into some writers lap and expect quality.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:56 pm

This mentality of everything needing some sort of modern update is the reason why we keep getting remakes and live-action adaptations that no one asked for. Dragon Ball was damn near perfect as a manga and obviously popular as an anime. Why fix what isn't broken?