Would you watch an entirely comedy based Dragon Ball spin-off series?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DestructoDisc
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Would you watch an entirely comedy based Dragon Ball spin-off series?

Post by DestructoDisc » Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:11 pm

Hear me out on this one. Dragon Ball gets a spin-off that is non-canon to the main series. The characters will act a lot more goofy, heck, the entire show will be a lot goofier. There won't be continuity, nor action, but the characters will all be the same (Goku, Vegeta, Bulma, Piccolo, etc). Everything will be comedy, and only comedy. No action, and if there will be some, they will only last like, 30 seconds. The episodes will also be 11 minutes long instead of 22. Would you watch it? A similar thing happened to shows like Teen Titans and Total Drama Island, so I'm wondering what would you guys think about Dragon Ball getting a similar spin-off that those shows got.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you watch an entirely comedy based Dragon Ball spin-off series?

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm

So like the first thirteen episodes of Dragon Ball?

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Nope, no I would not. Not because "grrr I gots ta have muh action!" But rather, I've honestly never really enjoyed Toriyama's brand of humor. I don't hate all of it mind you, there are definitely some bits that I think are great. His quirkiness when it comes to naming schemes is also fun. But the bulk of his comedy just doesn't do much for me.

But if we're talking doing a show in the same vein as Teen Titans Go, then I'd still say no, but because it would be a generic comedy show with a Dragon Ball skin.

Much as it's derided by a good portion of the fan base, if you want absurdist Dragon Ball, the Abridged series does exist. And honestly, seeing that show's ups and downs only makes me more confident in my opinion, that something like this wouldn't something I'd be interested in.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Absolutely, just for the absurdity of seeing these over-the-top characters in a situational comedy-setting.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 am

I'd be all in for a Boo and Mister Satan odd-couple sitcom that throws a bunch of Toriyama 1 shot characters in as guests.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:00 am

A show about the Ginyu Force like this could be entertaining.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm

A spin-off of Gowasu and Zamasu would be fun.

The first episode could be a parody of the Steamed Hams sketch of the Simpsons episode "22 short films about Springfield."

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:55 pm

I'd almost certainly watch it at least once, but how often I re-watched it and how much I enjoyed it overall would basically depend on if it was good and actually, you know, funny. It'd just depend on a lot of factors to decide how popular it would be, but being the type of fan who wants to see everything DB related at least once, I'd watch it.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Asmo

Post by Asmo » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:44 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 am I'd be all in for a Boo and Mister Satan odd-couple sitcom that throws a bunch of Toriyama 1 shot characters in as guests.
This would be amazing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:31 am

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:52 am

DestructoDisc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:11 pm The characters will act a lot more goofy, heck, the entire show will be a lot goofier. [...] A similar thing happened to shows like Teen Titans and Total Drama Island, so I'm wondering what would you guys think about Dragon Ball getting a similar spin-off that those shows got.
If it's done like this, then hell goddamn no.

A more chilled-out slice of life show with a lot more comedy than action would be an action-lite one I'd like, but a TTG-esque one where all the characters become goofy, broad characatures of what they're supposed to be, and only used to service whatever nonsense they're trying to throw onto the screen this week? Hell no; Super's already basically given us all of that and the only worthwhile thing in Super was the fight scenes. A series like this would almost literally just be Super but without the only good parts in it...

And even putting that aside, the way I see it, the best case scenario for this is it ends up like the Ben 10 reboot, where it's basically putting up all the decour of the original show, but deliberately stripping out all the stuff that actually made it uniquely itself in the first place by trying to turn it into some dumb, cookie cutter 11-minute comedy show like TTG, where the source material is just a tool to have some instantly-recognisable broad character archetypes to throw into 50 cheap, short, easy episodes of comedy a year. (Yes, I realise this has worked well for TTG despite the online hatedom, and it's actually quite a funny show if its sense of humour is suited to you, and yes I know the Ben 10 reboot is also quite funny for what it is, despite essentially being a clone of TTG. No, that doesn't mean every goddamn show needs one of these)

So... No, this really doesn't sound appealing to me.

Until Super, Dragon Ball was never about following trends and popularity, it was doing its own unique, weird thing. So doing a Dragon Ball series that's basically just "hey that teen titans go series is quite popular. as are its other clone shows cartoon network are doing. lets do that" would be the epitome of everything I want the modern run of Dragon Ball to move away from.
MasenkoHA wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:39 pm So like the first thirteen episodes of Dragon Ball?
I know you're probably joking, but I always do take exception when people talk about things along the lines of "dragon ball used to be pure comedy", because Dragon Ball's never been pure anything, the whole reason the show has always had so much appeal is its unique, constantly changing mixture of styles, genres, moods, etc., and even joking about it being the shallow facade it's often made out to be in pop culture is just really tiring.

My apologies if this comes off particularly aggressive, I just felt this had to be said, and made for a worthwhile addendum to the rest of my post.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:28 am

Mmmmmaybe?

Very few scenes in the entirety of Dragon Ball (and especially after the original series) are actually legitimately funny - see Yamcha's death throwback in Super, at which I laughed like a hyena - rather, they're far more an "oh, you" sort of affair. An entire series of that without the fighting would be like an unfunny American sitcom.

However, that's part of the aura of Dragon Ball, and a brand new production direction comprised of a genuinely comedic tone, i.e. a more absurdist or memetic variety of humor, would be jarring against the backdrop of the DB universe; it would likely require many of the characters to have different behavior patterns. At that point, you have to ask yourself, why even use the DB universe at all? Why not just do a brand new IP?

So I guess, no I wouldn't because I don't think it could/should exist?
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sat Jun 08, 2019 12:14 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:44 am I'd be all in for a Boo and Mister Satan odd-couple sitcom that throws a bunch of Toriyama 1 shot characters in as guests.
I would love to see a daily life of Mr. Satan trying to please Buu's hunger.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman. It's a one volume manga that's exactly what the titles of this thread describes. It's pure comedy with very little action and it's a canon spin-off.