Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Super Kami Guru
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:43 pm

Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by Super Kami Guru » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:28 am

I mean they already did 34 episodes (level 1.1 and 1.2) so why not just do the remaining 257 episodes and release them as a box set?

User avatar
mute_proxy
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1018
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2017 11:09 am
Location: Planet 4032-877

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by mute_proxy » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:56 am

The same reason they stopped at 34 episodes, it's too much work. Too much work is expensive

User avatar
sangofe
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 6442
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2004 3:39 pm

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by sangofe » Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:39 am

Because they want a maximum of profit for a minimum of cost and work.

User avatar
Robo4900
I Live Here
Posts: 2868
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:24 pm
Location: In another time and place...

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by Robo4900 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 am

Because if they put out an actually really good release, they won't be able to put out a nominally better version in about 5 years, like they've done roughly every 5 years.
Never lose hope that your situation can improve.

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:21 am

Robo4900 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:56 am
Because if they put out an actually really good release, they won't be able to put out a nominally better version in about 5 years.
This 99%. The other 1% is them wanting an easy cash grab, they're not interested in putting out a quality release. Funimation is the type of company that doesn't care about the franchise's image and how their intentionally flawed releases hurt it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

mikezilla2
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 223
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:13 pm

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by mikezilla2 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:06 am

Why not ask them ?

User avatar
sintzu
Banned
Posts: 13583
Joined: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:41 pm

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by sintzu » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:08 am

mikezilla2 wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:06 am
Why not ask them ?
I think they said they didn't sell enough to justify the cost and effort. They also said it's not what fans want form DB for their "widescreen" TVs.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

HakkaiBills93
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 472
Joined: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:04 pm

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by HakkaiBills93 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:35 am

because Funny mation is high level jerk editor , no more no less, they use idiot and incompetent technicians that are :
- unable to calibrate their work. (cf broly super bluray (and don't tell me that's what was provided by toei, i don't care, a simple adjustment is easy to do, so no matter what, they don't have any single apologize)
- are unable to scan properly db movie 2 (the scan for movie 2 is done by a retarded incompetent)
- are unable to listen to their own fandom
- are unable to color correct , DNR properly , they only managed to do what a 8 years kids can do

Funnymation is useless, as long as they retain dragon ball rights, it will lead to crap

User avatar
SuperSaiyaManZ94
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1168
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: Alabama

Re: Why didn't Funimation just continue the level sets for the 30th anniversary?

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 12:32 pm

Quite simply, they just want to put in the absolute bare minimum amount of effort at the lowest cost and most of their releases (barring the Dragon Boxes and Level sets) since 2007 clearly show that in spades and the 30th anniversary BD set is just a continuation of the same mindset, and it really makes me think that they would have done better if FUNi hadn't jumped the gun like they did in 2011 and waited another year or two before releasing them. I do have the Dragon Boxes which are no doubt still the best quality release at this time, but an actual proper remaster of the entire series in the Level format would have been awesome in large sets.

Post Reply