How many series exist for you?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Vijay » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 am

MasenkoHA wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 pm
ABED wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:56 pm
And why do people who downplay DBZ's humor keep forgetting Kaio? He's a recurring character whose constantly making jokes and thinks puns are the heighth of comedy.
Same reason people ignore Bora getting murdered by Tao Pei Pei, the Red Ribbon’s take over of Jingle Village and General White’s plan to execute the villagers after getting the dragon ball, Piccolo Daimao and his clan killing martial artist and main characters dying left and right and things getting their darkest, and the brutality of Goku vs Piccolo jr.


Easier to be selective so one can be Dragon Ball=light and goofy and silly at all times DBZ=super serious and dark
Now that u mentioned it, I noticed Toriyama sugar-coated Fat Boo's mass murder by transforming citizens into chocolate/candies, while in the cases of other incarnation of Majin Boo, its downright brutal.

Considerin how its both tonally consistent with early Boo Arc's wacky humor & latter epic, all-out warfare.

Toriyama have displayed brutality since DB & its really awesome to think how a gag mangaka was able to transform his work that would later become a worldwide phenomenon

MyVisionity
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am

Ginyu force is moderate.
I agree with this. They don't approach the extreme absurdities of other Toriyama villains and there is enough darkness and brutality behind them to justify their inclusion in the Z-era.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am

MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am
there is enough darkness and brutality behind them to justify their inclusion in the Z-era.
Because as we all know, you have to be dark and brutal in order to make it as a Z-era villain. :problem:

MyVisionity
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 am

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am
MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am
there is enough darkness and brutality behind them to justify their inclusion in the Z-era.
Because as we all know, you have to be dark and brutal in order to make it as a Z-era villain. :problem:
Pretty much, yeah. I mean, you don't see the likes of Pilaf and them popping up in DBZ.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15491
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 am

MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 am
KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am
MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am
there is enough darkness and brutality behind them to justify their inclusion in the Z-era.
Because as we all know, you have to be dark and brutal in order to make it as a Z-era villain. :problem:
Pretty much, yeah. I mean, you don't see the likes of Pilaf and them popping up in DBZ.
By that point it had stopped being a gag manga. It should be noted that Battle of Gods WAS first DBZ and they did show up in that.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MyVisionity
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 450
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2004 11:51 pm
Location: US
Contact:

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 am

ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:17 am
MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 am
KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am

Because as we all know, you have to be dark and brutal in order to make it as a Z-era villain. :problem:
Pretty much, yeah. I mean, you don't see the likes of Pilaf and them popping up in DBZ.
By that point it had stopped being a gag manga. It should be noted that Battle of Gods WAS first DBZ and they did show up in that.
I think Battle of the Gods is more or less a gag movie anyway, so they fit right in.

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15491
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:43 am

It's a movie that employs gags, but it's not a parody, and again - still DB(Z).
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
KBABZ
I Live Here
Posts: 3688
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2017 9:38 pm
Location: The tallest tower in West City

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by KBABZ » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 am

MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:26 am
KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:52 am
MyVisionity wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:29 am
there is enough darkness and brutality behind them to justify their inclusion in the Z-era.
Because as we all know, you have to be dark and brutal in order to make it as a Z-era villain. :problem:
Pretty much, yeah. I mean, you don't see the likes of Pilaf and them popping up in DBZ.
Good grief I was being sarcastic!

Asmo
Newbie
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:03 am

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Asmo » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:53 am

3 for me:
DB/DBZ (I consider Kai/Kai TFC to be a recut of Z rather than a new entry)
DBGT
DBS (and any possible continuation of Super, regardless of what it might be called)

Heroes I don't know enough about, but I kind of see it as a tie-in with the game, rather than a series of its own.

User avatar
Tai Lung
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 am
Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:08 am
Ginyu force is moderate
Image
Image
Image
Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:08 am
moderate
yep

Image

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15491
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm

Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm
yep
And your point is that because of less emphasis on comedy, DBZ and DB can be thought of as two different shows?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Tai Lung
OMG CRAZY REG
Posts: 817
Joined: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Tai Lung » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:09 pm

ABED wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:48 pm
Tai Lung wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:15 pm
yep
And your point is that because of less emphasis on comedy, DBZ and DB can be thought of as two different shows?
I mentioned more points than that

User avatar
ABED
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 15491
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:23 am
Location: VA

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by ABED » Tue Jun 18, 2019 6:11 pm

What benefit is there to thinking of them as two separate shows?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

User avatar
Melee_Sovereign
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 225
Joined: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:43 am

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Melee_Sovereign » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 am

Vijay wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 am

I noticed Toriyama sugar-coated Fat Boo's mass murder by transforming citizens into chocolate/candies
Pun intended? :lol:

Vijay
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1027
Joined: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:48 am

Re: How many series exist for you?

Post by Vijay » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:22 am

Melee_Sovereign wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:11 am
Vijay wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:37 am

I noticed Toriyama sugar-coated Fat Boo's mass murder by transforming citizens into chocolate/candies
Pun intended? :lol:
Yeah😂😂😂haha.

Post Reply