Serious Dragon Ball Questions For Fans About The Voice of Goku

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Limit-Breaking

Serious Dragon Ball Questions For Fans About The Voice of Goku

Post by Limit-Breaking » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am

These are serious questions i been wondering about for a while now and i know the answers here won't be an accurate representation of this actually being the case, but i still want to see and get a understanding from everyone here about this Topic.

So here is my questions for Everyone. Again i am completely serious and genuinely curious about everyone thoughts on the matter.

If for whatever the reason the Voice of goku you personally enjoyed the most regardless of whichever voice actor it may be. Was no longer voicing the role of goku anymore for the newest materials that are to come from now on, Like for the Return of the Super anime or any new movies or video games.

1.Would you even watch the show anymore?

Now if for whatever reason Nozawa no longer wanted to voice goku anymore and chooses to not voice him Any longer.

2.Do you think the series would come to an end if nozawa no longer voiced the role of goku or do you think it will continue?

Again just to be clear I'm not saying they will or anything will happen to them, this is just a question i want to gauge on to see how everyone would personally feel about the matter.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Serious Dragon Ball Questions For Fans About The Voice of Goku

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:04 am

I would be, for one, extremely sad. Mario Castañeda's Goku was a huge part of my life.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:03 am

In Japanese? It would be very hard to get used to a new Goku. Nozawa is just irreplaceable in that role and everything about her performance just feels so hard to replicate because its such a unique and compelling voice.

In English? That's a completely different ballgame because we've had so many actors cast as Goku, many of whom have their own individual strengths and weaknesses. I'm just used to different interpretations in this language, as I'm sure many here are. I love Sean Schemmel, but I can also watch and enjoy the work of all the Canadian Gokus and I'm really curious to finally see how Richard Ian Cox does in Ocean Kai.

Can't speak for other language dubs as I haven't seen any in full or given their Gokus a proper chance but I may some day.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am

Nozawa is Goku and so much of my fondness for the character is due to her performance.

If she were to retire the only recast that springs to mind would be Romi Park. That said I think she’d need to be given the freedom to make the role her own rather than attempt to imitate the inimitable.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:54 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:38 am Nozawa is Goku and so much of my fondness for the character is due to her performance.

If she were to retire the only recast that springs to mind would be Romi Park. That said I think she’d need to be given the freedom to make the role her own rather than attempt to imitate the inimitable.
Park would nail it as Goku Black or even Bardock, but I'm not as sure about Goku proper. I'd have to hear some lines before I made up my mind.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am

I can't imagine Goku without Masako Nozawa's voice much like I can't imagine Homer Simpson without Dan Castellaneta's voice or Optimus Prime without Peter Cullen. It's such a distinct and unique voice that I'd have a hard time getting used to a new voice. Romi Park or Rica Matsumoto would be ideal.

Of course, Dragon Ball wouldn't end if she stopped voicing Goku. Yasuo Yamada, the original voice for Lupin (and the go-to-dubber for Clint Eastwood) passed away in 1995, and yet they're still making Lupin stuff for television.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:07 am

Limit-Breaking wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am1- If for whatever reason the Voice of goku you personally enjoyed the most was no longer voicing the role of goku, Would you even watch the show anymore ?

2- Do you think the series would come to an end if nozawa no longer voiced the role of goku ?
1- Yes. Despite Sean Shemmel being my favorite Gok, DB for me is bigger than him or any other voice actor.

2- No. DB is too big of a franchise to end because of a voice actor. If she decides to step down they'll know in advance and have someone ready to take over. If however she passes away, I can see the show taking a break if it's airing but that's about it.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:35 am

1) Depends on the replacement. Nozawa's my preferred/favorite Gokû. If they went the Bulma route and found a suitable sound-a-like I'd continue to watch, but if it were a wildly different sounding voice then no I wouldn't.

2) I think there would be a break, out of respect, but DB would ultimately continue. There's still Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny cartoons and Walt Disney and Mel Blanc are dead.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 11:44 am

8000 Saiyan wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:59 am Romi Park or Rica Matsumoto would be ideal.

Of course, Dragon Ball wouldn't end if she stopped voicing Goku. Yasuo Yamada, the original voice for Lupin (and the go-to-dubber for Clint Eastwood) passed away in 1995, and yet they're still making Lupin stuff for television.
Poor Rica. She'd have to voice Ash AND Goku every week for possibly years on end if that were the case.

SuperSaiyaManZ94
I Live Here

Post by SuperSaiyaManZ94 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:07 pm

As to the first point, it would indeed be kind of strange especially with Masako Nozawa given that she has voiced Goku (and his sons, father, descendant.etc) for well over thirty years and become so ingrained and identifiable with him more than probably any other role that she's played in her fifty some odd years as a seiyuu. She's my personal favorite Goku VA with Sean Schemmel running as a close second.

To answer the second question, i'd have to say no on that one because rarely ever does a series or even franchise end permanently due to an actor's/actresse's retirement or passing even with their amount of recognition and history with the role(s), case in point with the many legendary cartoon voice actors of the Saturday morning era like Mel Blanc or Don Messick. Of course they became very well known by several generations of television viewers for their particular cartoon characters in various series and films (Looney Tunes, Scooby-Doo.etc) which they consistently played for many many years and became giants in the industry, then eventually they sadly passed away but their roles were assumed by other hugely popular VA's who have tried to match their distinctive performances as best as possible and the series/franchises have continued on while their legacies were honored. I assume if Nozawa or other Goku VA's eventually pass/retire.etc that they'll be succeeded by others who manage to keep the essence of the performance in their own particular way.
DB collection related goals as of now:

1.) Find decent priced copy of Dragon Box Z Vol. 4 (Done)

2.) Collect rest of manga

3.) Get rest of Daizenshuu (2-7)

Koitsukai
I Live Here

Post by Koitsukai » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:03 pm

In the latin dub the Z-Broly movie was with a different cast and I hated that, besides what I though of the movie. And I think DB Kai had different cast too. It happened with The Simpsons, when they fired the original cast, the dub was just sad and even though the show was already declining, it was the straw that broke the camel and people moved on. Nowadays I wouldn't mind because I prefer the original dub but if Nozawa retires, I don't know if I would still watch it in japaneses because they'd be re-casting Goku, Gohan, Goten, I'd go back to the latin dub(if it still the original cast)... it would also be a good time to wrap up for good Goku's story.

Mewzard
I Live Here

Post by Mewzard » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:16 pm

It would sadden me if either Masako Nozawa or Sean Schemmel stopped voicing Goku, but I'd keep watching. That said, I'd hope it'd be a replacement of necessity, not one of "Oh hey, we got this celebrity voice!" or what have you.

No, the series would not end of Nozawa could no longer voice Goku, because no voice actor is so important that their passing would kill a show. If Mel Blanc, the Man of a Thousand Voices, who did almost every single Looney Tunes characters' voices for decades didn't get Looney Tunes to end with his passing, then nobody could.
RIDER KIIIIIIICK!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:05 pm

It's unlikely they'd get celebrity voice actors to replace Nozawa and Schemmel.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm

I like Schemmel's voice of Goku, but I watched the sub during the loooong wait for the dub to catch up. The voices do matter, but they're not the most important thing to me. Unless the characters were given unbearably annoying voices (which is unlikely), I'll get used to the change and continue watching.

I doubt Dragon Ball will end if the voice actress playing Goku in Japanese stopped voicing the character. I'm sure it'd make fans sad, but they'd probably already have a double ready to continue the series. Dragon Ball will continue for as long as it's making money.

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:57 pm

I enjoyed Corlett and Kelamis as Goku very much, but I got used to Schemmel in time, especially after he made it his own. It takes a bit but it'll happen.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:56 pm

I would probably have a boner if Schemmel got replaced. Not because I dislike him as Goku. I haven’t had a problem with his performance since around OG Dragon Ball (2003?) but he’s overrated as fuck by the American fandom and I’d probably jizz my pants over the uproar especially if we got a better Goku but nostalgiiiiuh

At any rate the English Goku I liked best only did 38 episodes and a tv cut of one movie.

If Miss Nozawa retired or, God forbid, pass away during the middle of a Dragon Ball production it would be unfortunate but I wouldn’t be offended by a replacement. The series had already had to replace quite a few voices due to death.

I don’t really follow modern Dragon Ball all that much beyond the odd curiosity. The Toriyama trilogy films and some select scenes and clips from Super.

DrBriefsCat
Beyond Newbie

Post by DrBriefsCat » Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:16 pm

This question reminds me of the situation with the Lupin III anime regarding the passing of the title character's voice actor. That character's voice actor, Yasuo Yamada, was just as closely associated with Lupin as Masako Nozawa is with Goku. When Yamada passed in 1995, he was replaced by comedian Kanichi Kurita. Fan reaction seems to have been mixed, some claiming he doesn't quite match the nuances of the earlier actor, despite being one of the few people who could come close to imitating the voice. However he seems to have improved in the more recent Lupin animes, matching some of the tones Yamada brought to the character.
My point: I think people will still watch Dragon Ball, but some may be very critical of Goku's new actor until she properly grows into the role. Like the Lupin situation, eventually people could get used to the new voice.

Vijay
Advanced Regular

Post by Vijay » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:30 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am Image

These are serious questions i been wondering about for a while now and i know the answers here won't be an accurate representation of this actually being the case, but i still want to see and get a understanding from everyone here about this Topic.

So here is my questions for Everyone. Again i am completely serious and genuinely curious about everyone thoughts on the matter.

If for whatever the reason the Voice of goku you personally enjoyed the most regardless of whichever voice actor it may be. Was no longer voicing the role of goku anymore for the newest materials that are to come from now on, Like for the Return of the Super anime or any new movies or video games.

Now if for whatever reason Nozawa no longer wanted to voice goku anymore and chooses to not voice him Any longer.

2.Do you think the series would come to an end if nozawa no longer voiced the role of goku or do you think it will continue?

Again just to be clear I'm not saying they will or anything will happen to them, this is just a question i want to gauge on to see how everyone would personally feel about the matter.
I enjoyed Goku's japanese voice as I felt it fits him perfectly as likable, cute noble child in DB. As with DBZ, its still got its charm & magic. Tbh, Masako Nozawa would forever be Goku for me.

U wouldnt believe how as I rewatched DB just 2 days ago (part where Roshi, Bulma, Krillin, Yamcha, Launch, Puar, Oolong tryin to help Goku fight off Ribbon Army)...couldnt help but just wonder how many seiyuus we're left with....sadly...and what would happen in future....and to answer ur question....I wouldnt want anyone else to voice a character I've watched & grown to admire over 20 years...just like that

I'd suggest TOEI simply reanimated or reupgrade original DB & DBZ to current latest animation standard (NOT like Super) while keeping Nozawa, Tanaka Mayumi and most of classic seiyuu's voice intact

Mr.Poot

Post by Mr.Poot » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:38 am

It would bother me but I wouldn't quit watching the series because of it.

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:13 pm

Limit-Breaking wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:26 am If for whatever the reason the Voice of goku you personally enjoyed the most regardless of whichever voice actor it may be. Was no longer voicing the role of goku anymore for the newest materials that are to come from now on, Like for the Return of the Super anime or any new movies or video games.

This is easy, at is happened long ago, when Ian James Corlett left partway during the Namek saga. That was before FUNimation took the production in house and I didn't abandon the show because of it. I imagine the franchise is going to outlive me and go through any number of changes with voice talent.

The character is "Goku" not "Masako Nozawa" so people would get over it. No matter how much you may love a voice talent, they do not "own" the character(s) they portray. It is inevitable that, one day, Nozawa is going to leave the role. Hopefully, it is because she chooses to retire and a transition can be smooth and not because she suddenly passes away. But, as insensitive as this may sound, Dragon Ball is bigger than just one person.

Let me put it another way, Leonard Nimoy was unquestionably "Spock" and heavily connected to the role up until his passing. That didn't stop Paramount or CBS from re-casting the role when they wanted to utilize the character. It would be a miracle to find someone who not only resembled Nimoy but also sounded like him and had the overall package which made him "Spock." I didn't see Ethan Peck in Discovery as "not Spock" rather that is who they found to take on the role.

Conversely, I did not care for Benedict Cumberbatch as Khan in Star Trek Into Darkness (as an actor, I like him just fine) because whatever character he was playing was not Khan. It was Khan in name only and portrayed by an actor unsuitable to the role because the producers thought it was too racially insensitive to portray a middle eastern actor as the villain. The role was horribly miscast and suffered for it.

If, in the event of Nozawa's retirement from the role, a replacement captures the essence of the character, I would imagine even Nozawa would welcome that person to the role. I don't think having a successor take over would diminish her work at all.